The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Technically Player #0 does travel when he goes across the lane :
He gathered the ball with one foot on floor(left foot) , jumped off of this foot, but did not land simultneously on 2 feet

This play is called a travel only about 1/100 times in a D1 game and rightfully so. Does anyone actually land simultaneously on 2 feet??? Did he gather with one foot on floor or gather with both feet in air (if so he doesn't have to land simultaneously).

I think the bottom line for D1 officials as far as the travel call goes is; if you are not 100% sure don't call it. You will not see a call on the jump stop for not landing simultaneously.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:32pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
He gathered the ball with one foot on floor(left foot) , jumped off of this foot, but did not land simultneously on 2 feet

This play is called a travel only about 1/100 times in a D1 game and rightfully so. Does anyone actually land simultaneously on 2 feet??? Did he gather with one foot on floor or gather with both feet in air (if so he doesn't have to land simultaneously).

I think the bottom line for D1 officials as far as the travel call goes is; if you are not 100% sure don't call it. You will not see a call on the jump stop for not landing simultaneously.
Yes, it is a travel. I know our state association has made it very clear. Unless you land simultaneously on a jump stop it is a travel and should be called as such.

Last edited by OKREF; Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 04:34pm.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Almost simultaneously is far different from what we see in this video.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think about 1/100 of this post is NOT BS.

What does both this play have to do with a jump stop?
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post

Big fat Zero
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post

In my opinion you could use 2 rules to interpret the violation:

1st). Sec44 Art2.b.

. . . A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:
If one foot is on the floor:
It is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step.
The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

2nd) Art. 3. A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:
On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be the pivot foot; When one foot is on the playing court:

You are correct the word "jump stop" is not in the rule book but this is the move "0" seems to be attempting rather than your typical "layup"
So , as far as breaking the rules he either: 1)didn't land simultaneously or 2) picked up pivot foot and returned to floor before passing or shooting

The real point is why didn't they call a violation: obviously these are 3 primetime officials or they wouldn't be working this game. None called a violation. So I try to get into the mind of why these high level officials only call this move a travel 1/100 times. I think it is because they question when the ball was gathered and don't split hairs on landing simultaneously.

So, like it or not , they typically let this go. Peyton Sive from Louisville will make this move 5 or 6 times a game and rarely does he land simultaneously.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:11am
NFHS Official

Quote:
In my opinion you could use 2 rules to interpret the violation:

1st). Sec44 Art2.b.

. . . A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:
If one foot is on the floor:
It is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step.
The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

2nd) Art. 3. A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:
On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be the pivot foot; When one foot is on the playing court:

You are correct the word "jump stop" is not in the rule book but this is the move "0" seems to be attempting rather than your typical "layup"
So , as far as breaking the rules he either: 1)didn't land simultaneously or 2) picked up pivot foot and returned to floor before passing or shooting

The real point is why didn't they call a violation: obviously these are 3 primetime officials or they wouldn't be working this game. None called a violation. So I try to get into the mind of why these high level officials only call this move a travel 1/100 times. I think it is because they question when the ball was gathered and don't split hairs on landing simultaneously.

So, like it or not , they typically let this go. Peyton Sive from Louisville will make this move 5 or 6 times a game and rarely does he land simultaneously.
Our association has told us that no matter when the ball is gathered, either before jumping or after jumping, it is a travel if they don't land simultaneously.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:17am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Our association has told us that no matter when the ball is gathered, either before jumping or after jumping, it is a travel if they don't land simultaneously.
That is incorrect. If you gather in the air you have no pivot foot. The first to touch the ground becomes your pivot foot.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If this is true, your association is horrifically misguided.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:20am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
If this is true, your association is horrifically misguided.
We've been told that they may pivot, if gathering the ball after jumping, but they must land at the same time. Just saying.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:22am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
We've been told that they may pivot, if gathering the ball after jumping, but they must land at the same time. Just saying.
Again, that is incorrect. Does this also apply to rebounders?
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If they gather with foot on the ground they can land on one foot and jump off that foot or on 2 feet simultaneously.

You guys need to scrap your jump stop training and start all over.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
In real time? Maybe the second play by 0...probably not. That's the only play in the clip that's worth a question in my opinion. I also wouldn't expect that to be called in a D-I game.
Agree completely.