Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Louisville, dude, Louisville.
My bad, my bad.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:52pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
I agree, probably wasn't clear that I liked the call made in the video and was only responding to a specific address of the ND player getting pushed. While there may be a push, forearm in the chest, there's no doubt a whistle was needed on #45 for the undercut IMO.

Again, any questioning of the call would be highly difficult with the look the lead had on the play.
The shove by 44 caused the undercut. In normal play I wouldn't get that, however, in this play you can't penalize 45 for getting shoved into 21's path.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:02am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The shove by 44 caused the undercut. In normal play I wouldn't get that, however, in this play you can't penalize 45 for getting shoved into 21's path.
I'm not seeing that. I see 45 jumping back on his own with 44's push being incidental to him going in that direction.

I admit at first I did not like this call but watching it a few more times and I agree with it.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:12am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'm not seeing that. I see 45 jumping back on his own with 44's push being incidental to him going in that direction.

I admit at first I did not like this call but watching it a few more times and I agree with it.
When I first saw it I thought that also. The shot from under the basket changed my mind. I think that the shove is enough to put 45 into the path. However, I'm not judging the guy. That's a tough call.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Man, talk about physicality and big bodies in the paint. A tough, tough series of events to officiate. I can see why these guys make the big bucks. Having said that, I'm going to dissent here.

If I were ND's coach, I'd be asking precisely what #45 did wrong on this play.

First, he can't even see LOU5, who comes flying in - so not sure how you can make the call that ND45 undercuts him.

Second, if ND45 moves backwards, it's a combination of moving slightly backwards to try and get the rebound - and being helped by LOU44 tangling up with him and/or pushing him backwards with a forearm.

You basically have ND45 get tangled up with two red bodies on this play - neither of which is his fault, IMO.

Even at this level, I say call the obvious. Foul on Louisville #5.

Whatever the case, I'm just glad I didn't have to clean that mess up. Sheesh

Last edited by canuckrefguy; Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 12:58am.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post

I agree....44's arm, while there, isn't what caused the undercut. 45 did that on his own.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Solid call. It was bang bang, but the offensive rebounder collected the rebound w/o contacting the defender, who ended up backing into him.

Line 'em up. Shooting 2.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We went over video like this at the beginning of our season. Instruction was to get the inside guy when he backs out like this. Too many players think inside position means being able to back through the opponent.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Man, talk about physicality and big bodies in the paint. A tough, tough series of events to officiate. I can see why these guys make the big bucks. Having said that, I'm going to dissent here.

If I were ND's coach, I'd be asking precisely what #45 did wrong on this play.

First, he can't even see LOU5, who comes flying in - so not sure how you can make the call that ND45 undercuts him.

Second, if ND45 moves backwards, it's a combination of moving slightly backwards to try and get the rebound - and being helped by LOU44 tangling up with him and/or pushing him backwards with a forearm.

You basically have ND45 get tangled up with two red bodies on this play - neither of which is his fault, IMO.

Even at this level, I say call the obvious. Foul on Louisville #5.

Whatever the case, I'm just glad I didn't have to clean that mess up. Sheesh
What does that have to do with anything as it pertains to any call for that matter?
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
What does that have to do with anything as it pertains to any call for that matter?
Not necessarily saying it's the determining factor.

My observations were strictly of the 'call the obvious' variety.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:18am
NFHS Official

I had a call like this earlier in the eyear. A1 is inside of B1, however it is a long rebound, both jump up and A1 jumps backwards and gets under B1 as he is coming down. A1 literally cuts B1 as he is coming down. I called it on A1 and A coach just couldn't understand why it was on his player, since he had inside position. Tried to explain, but he never got it.