Official Forum Member

24 years is quite a feat alone.

Get better. The games will wait.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Heal fast, Tony!
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 12:57am
Back from the DL

I had to turn back a couple of pending assignments after a strained Achilles during a game last year. It happened at the end of the third quarter of a JV game, so the two varsity officials joined in to make a three-man crew for the final quarter. Of course, they rode me for it. ("It takes two of us to replace Bainsey.")

I also had to turn back an assignment this past Saturday. My niece lost her stepdaughter (age 20) in a car accident, and the funeral was that day, out of state. Easy decision.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 04:09am
Go Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I assume surgery on your meniscus?
Yes, last May
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 08:02am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Thanks guys. I don't believe in the flu, Welpe.
I don't either but the flu believes in me.

I worked through those games, but by the end I sounded like Mike Ness from Social Distortion.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

I sprained my MCL several years ago before I was in the officiating fraternity. It sucked. Couldn't bend my knee for a couple of weeks. Good news: time will heal it completely and it will be nothing more than a memory.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Had a nasty bout with throat cancer and lost a season 8 years ago. Boy, did I miss it. Ironically, never get flu, or injured to give back a game.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

I have turned back a few games before, but not until this year because of illness. I had to turn two nights back on a Monday and Tuesday in early January. I could tell on Sunday that I was getting sick. Scratchy throat, headache and body fatigue, starting to cough, etc. By Monday morning I couldn't get out of bed. Tuesday was about the same. The rest of the week I still had chest congestion and a cough, but I could at least function.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

This thread takes me back

Several years ago, due to relocation, I switched officials associations and the new group seemed a bit more "appearence conscious" than the other. This was a positive and a really well respected commish was in control. A couple of days before a fairly important BV assignment, I took an elbow to the eye area playing pickup ball. Sporting a shiner, with some swelling, and unable to get my contact lens in, I knew I'd be in for some good natured ribbing (or worse) showing up with a black eye and my glasses. Being a newbie in this group, I did not want to turn down any games, but didn't want to make the crew or organization look bad either. Called commish and describes sitch, whereupon he just wants to know if I can see well enough and if so, do I want to stay on game or not. I kept the game and took the comments...funny I remember one coach seemed to be impressed that I actually PLAYED some ball...this is how some coaches think
Back to OP: You've done good to go 24 years and not have knee trouble til now. Do all the stuff the others have said and get a good pair of orthotics in your shoes to keep you tracking correctly. Good luck.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
I sprained my MCL several years ago before I was in the officiating fraternity. It sucked. Couldn't bend my knee for a couple of weeks. Good news: time will heal it completely and it will be nothing more than a memory.
Between the Meloxicam and the ice, my knee feels 100% better than it did yesterday. Very little pain...in fact, I would describe it as a little discomfort rather than pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Back to OP: You've done good to go 24 years and not have knee trouble til now. Do all the stuff the others have said and get a good pair of orthotics in your shoes to keep you tracking correctly. Good luck.
I've used Spenco Orthotics since first having plantar fasciitis over 10 years ago. They're not custom made, as the insurance wouldn't pay for them but they're the next best thing as far as I'm concerned.

I've also worn black support socks for 15 years. Nothing better for preventing shin splints. You can pick them up at most any chain drugstore.

Welpe, I've always been able to sweat out anything that even resembled the flu.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 09, 2013, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Did a sub-varsity DH on Thursday night. Left foot has been sore since Friday morning. Hoping that it gets better today. Not working until Monday at 5PM. This time of the year is when the wear and tear takes a toll on all of us.

Good luck to everyone with health and their post season assignments.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2013, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Glad to hear it was nothing too serious. Rest up big timer.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.