The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Turnback (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93929-turnback.html)

BktBallRef Thu Feb 07, 2013 06:28pm

Turnback

Well, it was bound to happen eventually. In 24+ years, I had never once turned back an assignment. Injury, sickness, death in the family, the timing had always worked out so that I was able to work every assignment.

Until now.

We all have aches and pains, especially this late in the season. Left knee was bugging me a bit but nothing more than any other ache or pain. Then, in the second quarter of a boys varsity game on Tuesday night, the pain suddenly became more severe. A partner noticed the change in my gait and asked me at a timeout what was going on. Told him about the sudden pain on the inside of my left knee. He told me not to worry, that he and my other partner would adjust and keep me at C as much as possible. We finished the game.

Came home, iced it, 20 on, 20 off. Got up Wednesday morning and though it would get better as the day went on but it didn't, so around 11am, I called the supervisor and turned back my GV/BV doubleheader for last night. Kept up with the ice treatments and Advil last night and this morning.

Fortunately, the doctor who did my mom's knee replacement has a son who plays and he sees me quite often. Said if I ever needed to see him on short notice, just call his assistant. So today, I did. Thankfully x-rays show no bone issues and my knee appears to be solid. Although he didn't prescribe an MRI, he doesn't think there's a tear and diagnosed it as a sprained MCL. Keep it elevated, Mobic for inflammation, some stretching exercises and plenty of intermittent ice. Said to give it a few days and resume officiating when I feel comfortable toing so.

Sorry so long but it's my first time sidelined, so I'm venting. I wonder how often are others injured to the point that you have to turnback games?

JRutledge Thu Feb 07, 2013 06:35pm

Take care of yourself. No basketball game is worth your health. I know that is easy to say from here, but it sucks when you do not feel good and you have a game coming up.

Peace

Treeguy Thu Feb 07, 2013 07:54pm

During one of the last 2 games last year, I tore my meniscus in 2 places. I can feel for you. This year, about a month ago, my achilles came up sore, waited until my Dr.'s appt today, he is sending for a MRI on Wed. Hoping for the best, but still making it up and down the court, but a little flatfooted.

Rich Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:04pm

I've been hurt a few times. Worst was a dislocated kneecap in January about 6 years ago that ended my season.

I work basketball, baseball, and football, so it's inevitable that I'll be injured once in a while.

JugglingReferee Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:16pm

Best of healing, Tony. The game needs quality officials like you.

BktBallRef Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treeguy (Post 877783)
During one of the last 2 games last year, I tore my meniscus in 2 places. I can feel for you. This year, about a month ago, my achilles came up sore, waited until my Dr.'s appt today, he is sending for a MRI on Wed. Hoping for the best, but still making it up and down the court, but a little flatfooted.

I assume surgery on your meniscus?

I have a bone spur on my right heel that has basically turned in a knot. Wears a hole into the heel lining of every shoe I wear. Stayed sore like plantar fasciitis last season, stiffening up overnight after a game. No problems at all with it this season, although it's still present.

Best of luck with your MRI.

BktBallRef Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 877785)
Best of healing, Tony. The game needs quality officials like you.

Thanks Mike. My super didn't want me to work last night and similarly said, "I need you for bigger games in a couple of weeks." Single games as opposed to DHs, too.

Talked with my partner from last night. He said the GV game had 40+ fouls and the BV was a 40+ blowout.

I have a DH Friday night and another Saturday afternoon. Probably gonna turn them back, too. As stubborn as I am, I know it's the best thing to do. That'll give me a week's rest.

Far too often, we take good health for granted. I know I've been very fortunate.

Camron Rust Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 877787)
Far too often, we take good health for granted. I know I've been very fortunate.

May you heal as quickly as possible and get back to doing what you enjoy!

Nevadaref Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 877790)
May you heal as quickly as possible and get back to doing what you enjoy!

I wish to echo that!

rockyroad Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:28pm

Sorry to hear this, Tony. As hard as it is, rest now so you can do games later. Give it a couple of days. Rest and heal!

Welpe Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:38pm

Heal up soon Tony.

I've never had to turn games back for injuries though I should have when I had the flu last season. I have had to turn a few back due to work changing things up on me.

Raymond Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:52pm

I turned in one in 12 seasons when I had an extreme stomach virus.

Rest up for the playoffs.

BktBallRef Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:05pm

Thanks guys. I don't believe in the flu, Welpe. :)

Adam Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 877799)

I believe. The only last minute turn back I've had was for the worst flu I've ever had. Weekend AAU stuff. I've had to turn back a couple of others for changing military commitments, and a few when we moved mid-season (chopped up two seasons that way).

JRutledge Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 877799)

Me neither. ;)

Peace