The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Minimum time elapsed?

We know the rule tells us with .3 or less a player may only tap for a try and that if such a player in this situation catches or holds the ball, those .3 has elapsed and play is over. Would the same hold true for a player catching a ball and trying to call a time out at the same time? In other words, is there some standard most of you use in this play: With 2 seconds left in game, A1 has a spot throw in from B's endline, and is attempting to make a pass at least into A's frontcourt and call an immediate time out. A2 receives the pass just beyond midcourt and immediately (along with A HC and most players) is yelling for the TO. The clock shows 1.2 left now, but HC is arguing much less time should have come off. If .3 is too short to control the ball for a try, would it stand to reason that at least .4 would have to elapse at a bare minimum in order for a player to control and a team to call a TO? Do we generally just leave these cases up to timer? He cuts it on when it's touched and off when he hears the whistle and we live by whatever is showing? Wonder if this happens enough if we would have a standard runoff of say .5 in these sitches?
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Only covered under the "definite knowledge" portion of the rules. Could be .3, could be 1.3.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:31am
TODO: creative title here

Definite knowledge is required to add/subtract time on the clock. So, unless you have definite knowledge, you go with whatever the timer did.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:12pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I believe the NBA has a rule that says a certain amount of time MUST come off the clock when the ball is legally touched. I could be wrong; I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

Hmmm, just looked through the online NBA rule book and didn't see it in there. Guess you can disregard this post. Sorry.

Last edited by Scrapper1; Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 01:14pm.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Even if there was a rule for minimum elapsed time in these situation, I've never heard of a rule for maximum elapsed time.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:23pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Even if there was a rule for minimum elapsed time in these situation, I've never heard of a rule for maximum elapsed time.
Sure you have. Other thread: 8, 7, 6 minutes...
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Sure you have. Other thread: 8, 7, 6 minutes...
Shut up.

There, I said it. Are you happy now?
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:25pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Shut up.

There, I said it. Are you happy now?
Ecstatic. Next question.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I think you are splitting hairs...

The rule is in the NCAA book. 0.3 seconds must exist for a try. You can make the same assumption on a catch, but none of us are that good to call a timeout immediately upon catching the ball. Go with the clock unless the crew has definite knowledge more time ran off after the whistle granting the timeout.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
I think you are splitting hairs...

The rule is in the NCAA book. 0.3 seconds must exist for a try. You can make the same assumption on a catch, but none of us are that good to call a timeout immediately upon catching the ball. Go with the clock unless the crew has definite knowledge more time ran off after the whistle granting the timeout.
The coach can tell an official ahead of time, "on the miss, we're calling time" or "we're throwin it to here and calling time" Then the play happens and they are yellin for the TO before the ball even hits the players hand so that it's almost startin the clock and stoppin it in one motion.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I believe the NBA has a rule that says a certain amount of time MUST come off the clock when the ball is legally touched. I could be wrong; I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

Hmmm, just looked through the online NBA rule book and didn't see it in there. Guess you can disregard this post. Sorry.
No, you're correct.. At least .3 seconds must come off the clock when the ball is legally touched except for a replay situation that allows .2 or .1 to come off the clock.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 12:38pm.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
No, you're correct.. At least .3 seconds must come off the clock when the ball is legally touched except for a replay situation that allows .2 or .1 to come off the coach.
Huh? If you know how to subtract coaches, even just tenths of them, I want to learn this trick. Perhaps I can improve the technique and make a few disappear entirely.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
The coach can tell an official ahead of time, "on the miss, we're calling time" or "we're throwin it to here and calling time" Then the play happens and they are yellin for the TO before the ball even hits the players hand so that it's almost startin the clock and stoppin it in one motion.
The coach still needs to request the timeout when his team is in possession of the ball...and then the clock stops on your whistle. It is entirely possible that more than 0.3 seconds come off during this sequence. Don't over referee the clock... when you blow your whistle, look at the clock and as long as it isn't running after your whistle blows, you are fine.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
The coach still needs to request the timeout when his team is in possession of the ball...and then the clock stops on your whistle. It is entirely possible that more than 0.3 seconds come off during this sequence. Don't over referee the clock... when you blow your whistle, look at the clock and as long as it isn't running after your whistle blows, you are fine.
Of course it's "entirely possible" more than .3 comes off...generally does...that was why my thread was entitled "Minimum"??
Let's say there's an even second (1.0) left with length of the floor to go and they pass it up to frontcourt and call an immediate TO. Clock starts, but before it can get stopped the horn goes off. Should there be time put back on and if so, how much? We (refs) don't have a count in tenths of a second so I'm guessing team is just sol. If we had a rule or standard that would say it's not possible to gain possesion and call a TO in less than say for example, 0.5..then in situations like this we could simply by rule deduct .5 from the previous time showing and play on. That was essentially my point of the post, to ask if anywhere uses a certain standard measure of time, like .5 or .7 in situations like that.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Of course it's "entirely possible" more than .3 comes off...generally does...that was why my thread was entitled "Minimum"??
Let's say there's an even second (1.0) left with length of the floor to go and they pass it up to frontcourt and call an immediate TO. Clock starts, but before it can get stopped the horn goes off. Should there be time put back on and if so, how much? We (refs) don't have a count in tenths of a second so I'm guessing team is just sol. If we had a rule or standard that would say it's not possible to gain possesion and call a TO in less than say for example, 0.5..then in situations like this we could simply by rule deduct .5 from the previous time showing and play on. That was essentially my point of the post, to ask if anywhere uses a certain standard measure of time, like .5 or .7 in situations like that.
A) I'm sure "anywhere" does. that doesn't make it right (under today's rules)

B) An official needs to see the time remaining and can then have that time put back.

C) Absent (B), the period has expired.

D) Propose a rules change.