The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 09:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Compound Fracture

Yesterday I worked the Catholic school's elementary school tournament. Their regular season isn't long, with the coaches officiating. Our board works their year end seeded tournament. The quality of play isn't very good. However, each team usually has a player that plays rep ball, and another 1-2 players that knows what they're doing. The other 7-8 players are noticeably below average players.

Games are 5-minute running-time quarters, except for the last 2 minutes which is stop time. They play cross-court at a Catholic High School, and only 1 ref works each game. I would work from FTLE to FTLE, often migrating down to the L position if the team looked like they'd have no problem with possession control (and possibly rotating). The sidelines were a light colour, so to get the best look, I often favoured ball side, which might require switching sides. In the two finals, we work 2-man.

Us 3 officials (1 on each court) heard a total of 1 "complaint". It was a from a coach that didn't make it to the semi-finals. We were thanked many times, and the day began with prayer.

If you find the time, please pray for the young man from Holy Family Elementary School that suffered a compound fracture of his left radius (and likely the ulna as well) while playing in the boy's final. We moved the game from court 2 to the empty court 1, where his team won in overtime.

Funny note: at the beginning of overtime, I told each coach that they have 1 timeout, and we play 2 minutes, whichever 5 players you want (the 4 quarters are 5-on, 5-off). The (eventual) winning coach, a very attractive athletic woman, told me, "I don't know what to say in a timeout". LOL I told her, "then use a timeout to slow the game down if the other team has lots of momentum".
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 11:24am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Wow, a compound fracture? That is serious stuff! Hope it's a smooth recovery.

I had a player break his ankle last year and that was pretty nasty stuff. Took a while to get the game going again - and we didn't have the flexibility of another court.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 11:35am
Esteemed Participant

That's not good. Prayers for a speedy recovery for that young man. How did it happen?
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 11:39am
certified Hot Mom tester

I've never seen an injury that severe during a game. Add my prayers for this kid.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 11:57am
Archaic Power Monger

I've seen compound fractures in football games I've been working. Ugly, ugly stuff.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 12:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
That's not good. Prayers for a speedy recovery for that young man. How did it happen?
He was in the BC and passed the ball up to his teammates in the FC. Pressure from B1 affected his landing. Nothing foul worthy.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I wish all games began with prayer...yep I'm that guy.

Prayers to the young man...hope he is better in time for summer vacation!

Frosh boys the other night, kid goes up to block a shot on a fast break and slaps the backboard...his shoulder pops out of joint and I'm talking the type that you can visibly see that his shoulder and arm are seperate. So I am standing there looking at the coach who is looking at me like what the heck do we do with this? A guy comes out of the stands and taps me on the shoulder, he says "I'm a physician...and his dad" He sits on the floor, takes his shoes off and places his foot in the kids arm-pit and begins to pull against his foot. It wiggles, shakes, wiggles some more then POP! right back in place..it made me queezy watching it!!