The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Boys basketball: Coosa knocks off Calhoun in overtime after fourth-quarter drama - Prep Central Online: Calhoun

"Calhoun had an errant pass bounce hard off the bottom of the backboard and ricochet to half court."
THE END. Backcourt it is. The right thing happened even if it was for the wrong reason (IW).
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 01:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

If it hits the board, I'm judging it a try.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 01:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

I think I'd have a try here.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 02:15pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Sometimes you can think too much.
Pretty much this.

A backcourt violation on this sequence of plays is awful.

Why do some officials come up with the most contrived rulings on plays that should just be straight-forward and obvious?

How can an official determine that the initial throw from the backcourt was a crappy pass vs a crappy shot? He can't.

Stop trying to be judges of intent and simply judge what happened.

When in doubt, make the obvious call.

A backcourt here isn't obvious — it is nit-picky, over-thinking, and wrong.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 02:37pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Pretty much this.

Why do some officials come up with the most contrived rulings on plays that should just be straight-forward and obvious?

How can an official determine that the initial throw from the backcourt was a crappy pass vs a crappy shot? He can't.

So if I understand you, this should be a shot based on the fact that it hit the backboard? Do you have a rule or case play that backs your intrp here? Or are you simply saying that your judgement of intent here is more valid than others who say they would judge it a pass?
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Pretty much this.

What he said. Can't believe this made 3 pages.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 02:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Finally watched the video. Frankly, I don't think I could tell just by watching it what he was doing, so I'd rule it a shot.

I don't, however, agree that it's a shot simply because it hit the backboard.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Pretty much this.

Contrived ruling? To say he was shooting is what is contrived. That ball left his hands as a pass. He was trying to hit his player cutting in from the left side. He may have failed at it but that is what he was doing. It just wouldn't make any sense for him to shoot like that at that time. To say he was shooting just because the bad pass just happened to hit the backboard is nothing more than avoiding having to make a decision.

Stop judging intent? We have to do that all the time so why should this be any different? A player puts up an air ball and then catches it. You have to decide if it was a try or not...what was the player's intent. A player is fouled. You must decide shooting or not...what were they intending to do.

If you saw that same play but the thrower was fouled and the ball was knocked away as it was released, would you have put the player on the line for 3 shots? You must decide what he was trying to do...what did he intend to do??? Even if the ball wasn't knocked away, would you award 3 shots? What if it fell 6 inches short and missed the board, does that make it not a shot? If so, does that mean a try has to hit something to be a try?

If somone jumped up and caught that ball before it hit the backboard, would you have called offensive goaltending?

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 03:20pm.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not true. While there are situations that seem to imply that, there is no such rule that states that it is so.

If it was a pass, even a bad one, there was no loss of team control and the backcourt violation was correct.

There was clearly plenty of time to get the ball into the frontcourt for a better shot and there was no reason for that guy to be shooting when he had open teammates farther down the court. He released it as a pass so it was a pass.

That kinds of situation is what we get paid for and we have to judge it for what it was, not what we can default to in order to avoid making a tough call. If he was fouled at that moment and the video cut off with the ball in mid-flight I'd bet that a large majority of people wouldn't even consider that it was a shot.
Camron,

I agree that officials should decide if it was a pass or throw. But, I think that they have to consider all factors (time left, distance of the throw, path of the throw) and err on the side of a shot. When this play comes up, I also wonder what would have happened if B1 jumped up above the rim and 1 ft. in front of the rim ( i.e. ball had a chance of going in ) and caught the PASS intended for A2? I can see that explanation - "Coach, when that left his hand, I was sure it was a pass"

What is the worst thing that can happen to you if you ALWAYS declare it a shot if it hits the backboard?
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Teen Wolf sighting!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

If I had to venture a guess, the overwhelming majority of officials would rule that a try.

Just my simple opinion, but if you rule that to be a pass, you'd just be adding s*** into your game.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
If I had to venture a guess, the overwhelming majority of officials would rule that a try.

Just my simple opinion, but if you rule that to be a pass, you'd just be adding s*** into your game.
Ok, why?

Why are we all ruling it a try?

And if your answer is because it hit the rim, then what rule are you using to back that up?
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:57pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
So if I understand you, this should be a shot based on the fact that it hit the backboard? Do you have a rule or case play that backs your intrp here? Or are you simply saying that your judgement of intent here is more valid than others who say they would judge it a pass?
No, I'm saying that it is a shot unless you are CERTAIN that it isn't because that is what common-sense dictates is the obvious call.

How can it be a pass? Do most passes from the backcourt hit the backboard in your games?

I'm saying that you CANNOT judge intent and because you cannot judge intent, you must determine that this is a shot. You can't say, "Well, I think it was more of a crappy pass than a crappy shot."
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 04:00pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
And if your answer is because it hit the rim, then what rule are you using to back that up?
Why do you have to have a rule to back up a shot attempt? It's the rule regarding a try for goal. What more is there to it than that?

We don't need a case play or rule for every single permutation of a play that could happen on the court.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 04:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Why do you have to have a rule to back up a shot attempt? It's the rule regarding a try for goal. What more is there to it than that?

We don't need a case play or rule for every single permutation of a play that could happen on the court.
True...but if you start telling people who say they will rule it a pass that they are wrong, you should probably have something other than common sense as your backing, don't you think?

So if that kid had hit the rim, would you have signaled for the shot clock operator to reset the shot clock? (assuming that there were more than 30 seconds left)