The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Yesteray I had a game, player fouled out, then on way to the bench yelled "God damn it!" I gave him a technical. He costs his team two team fouls and four points on one play.

But I was wondering what you're interpretation of foul language is. I'm starting to work some older games where I'm hearing a bit more of it and wondering where you draw the line. I hear the line has moved from what it use to be.

Does it really matter to whom the foul language is directed at, as long as a reasonable amount of people can hear it?

But everytime I've called it I've never really had any complaints from parents on this call.

What are your interpretations of the rule?
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

I am a believer that if the laguage is loud enough to be heard in the stands and is one of those words, and there are a lot of them, i will whack them.

If they do something dumb and know it and then say something under their breath and nobody can hear it except me then i may let it go and just tell the player to be careful.

Anytime the comment is directed at me or someone else on the court it is usually always a T. It doesn't matter if it is foul language or not. If the player tells me that is a horrible call, Whack.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 10:17am
M.A.S.H.

If anyone can hear it, boom T. If it's directed at me, boom T. If they mess up a play and are disappointed at themselves and keep it to themselves and I can hear it... I just tell the player to watch it.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
My rule of thumb is much the same. I say, keep it for the kids! Meaning that if a little kid is in the stands, and he could hear it, it deserves a T. If it is directed at another player or official, then it deserves a T regardless of the volume.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 10:49am
Do not give a damn!!

I have discussed this before many times. If everyone can hear something, that is much different than if someone says something under their breathe. Actually the use of curse words is not even that big of a deal from my point of view. I have had players use slang that I would be much more offended by than what is typically considered as foul language. Basically every situation I try to handle differently. Even if a lot of people hear something, it does not mean you did or know what was said.

Peace
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
I once issued a "T" for a "GDit" and the coach wanted to argue and insist that it was in the bible and wasn't a curse. I could only laugh and say, "Let's just let your church vote on it and then we'll use whatever they say for the rest of the season."
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

This was a point of emphasis this past year.

C. Inappropriate language. The committee is concerned about the use of inappropriate language by players, bench personnel, coaches, officials and spectators. Each group has a responsibility to the game and to each other to demonstrate civility and citizenship.

The team huddle is not a safe haven for coaches' bad language. Players are not permitted to "let off steam" by using profanity, even if it is not directed at an opponent or official. Being angry at oneself is no excuse. Officials are not exempt either. Inappropriate references to players or coaches are not acceptable. Game administrators must also pay particular attention to fans. A game ticket is not a license to abuse.

JRut has a valid point. Inappropriate language is a broader category than just George Carlin's 7 words.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
I once issued a "T" for a "GDit" and the coach wanted to argue and insist that it was in the bible and wasn't a curse. I could only laugh and say, "Let's just let your church vote on it and then we'll use whatever they say for the rest of the season."
Exodus 20:1-2
"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain...or thou shalt be issued a technical unto thyself, and the wrath of thy referee shalt be with thee all the remaining minutes of the game" BUV (Blueump Version)
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Hey B, I'm guessing this was in the 8th grade game. Both of those coaches should back you up whether you warned or whacked.

I agree with others, if it's heard by several people or directed toward me or someone else, penalize. If it's basically said under their breath, I'll warn. If course, you have to take it in context...is he saying this because he's mad at himself, his teammates, his coach or refs?

For Rec ball or AAU, my tolerance is very low.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 12:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Just for reference - two of the largest kids rec leagues around here have a rule that any profanity, for any reason, by a player or coach is an automatic flagrant technical foul. This is the rule through 8th grade. HS rec is different.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Another one of those typical situations where the guys last week weren't so sensitive to the language, and now, all of the sudden, it's an issue. Language is bad enough, but I despise the term 'homer.' That should be on Carlin's list when it comes to words that you can't say to officials.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueump
Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
Exodus 20:1-2
"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain...or thou shalt be issued a technical unto thyself, and the wrath of thy referee shalt be with thee all the remaining minutes of the game" BUV (Blueump Version)
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Earl Strom tells a good story about this in his book:

"He (Oscar Robertson) fired a pass at a teammate, who missed it. 'Sheeet, m**********r,' he hollered out. He was right next to me as I retrieved the ball from the stands. 'I don't have a real problem with what you just said, but see that woman out there?' I asked him. 'That's my wife, and I'm afraid she heard that. I don't talk like that around her and you're not going to either." He got the T and the message."

I'm on the same page with most of you guys. I'm its loud or directed at me, WHACK. If its to oneself out of frustration and under their breath, give them a warning.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
JRut has a point, each situation is different, and should be handled as such. I do think that if I am officiating, and I hear it, then that is enough to warrant a penalty. It depends on the situation as to whether or not I hand out that penalty. We had a situation on a game worked this year where a player was charged with a foul and was being substituted for. As he was going out of the game, he walked passed the calling official and said very quietly, "F@#$ you." Now, of course he got whacked. When the coach asked what he had done, my partner told him, and the coach agreed. Now, this goes against what some people feel, namely that you better make sure that someone other than you hears it. But, as we discussed, every situation is different, and needs to be handled that way; but it never hurts to use standards when applying rules like the profanity "T."
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 03:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
We had a situation on a game worked this year where a player was charged with a foul and was being substituted for. As he was going out of the game, he walked passed the calling official and said very quietly, "F@#$ you."
Flagrant "T" all the way!
Closed Thread