The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:06am
C'mon man!!

That guy partner

Had a P that has worked HS ball for 10+ years. he is still doing Freshman and sophmore ball as it became evident why last night. Telling coaches how many time outs they have left. Calling non existent travels etc. The one that really got me though was about 45 seconds left in the fourth quarter and I have a PC at trail going to ward the basket. I start reporting and just as I finish the team getting the ball had already passed it in and was at the division line. I blew it dead as I seriously thought that the team just grabbed he ball and started down the court. They ended up passing a shooting a lay up by time I got my whistle to my mouth. The coach was ticked and wanted the free bucket. I felt that the other team wasn't ready either in retrospect and that is why they had a wide open lay up after a foul on the other end. Just curious about thoughts on my handling this situation. We gave the ball back to the same team at midcourt although I have thought we should have just redone the whole thing.

And a little entertaining part. Second player gets five fouls for the home team. I go to the coach and tell her that is five fouls on 35. She replies, " I don't want to hear from you." She just sits there. I telll the timer to start the 20 second interval. 5 seconds horn. Coach just sits there. 20 seconds, horn, Whack! Coach gets up all mad, "I have 30 seconds!""No you have 20 seconds." "well that wasn't 20 seconds" "Yes it was, I had the timer time it." And away we went. They kinda fell apart and ended up losing by 8 in OT.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 08:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
......She replies, " I don't want to hear from you." She just sits there. I telll the timer to start the 20 second interval. 5 seconds horn. Coach just sits there. ...
Sounds like a tactic she has used successfully at home with husband or life partner. Unfortunately it doesn't get you anywhere on the court.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Did you ever end up discussing w/your partner WTF happened on that premature inbounds or would it not even have been worth it?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:38pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Did you ever end up discussing w/your partner WTF happened on that premature inbounds or would it not even have been worth it?
Yeah , he just kicked it. We had to discuss to see where resumption should be and why. Speaking of which, anybody have a thought on what we should have done? A) reset the clock and bring the ball in from the original spot? Or B)go from where the ball was at recognition? I am leaning toward the former.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Had a P that has worked HS ball for 10+ years. he is still doing Freshman and sophmore ball as it became evident why last night. Telling coaches how many time outs they have left. Calling non existent travels etc. The one that really got me though was about 45 seconds left in the fourth quarter and I have a PC at trail going to ward the basket. I start reporting and just as I finish the team getting the ball had already passed it in and was at the division line. I blew it dead as I seriously thought that the team just grabbed he ball and started down the court. They ended up passing a shooting a lay up by time I got my whistle to my mouth. The coach was ticked and wanted the free bucket. I felt that the other team wasn't ready either in retrospect and that is why they had a wide open lay up after a foul on the other end. Just curious about thoughts on my handling this situation. We gave the ball back to the same team at midcourt although I have thought we should have just redone the whole thing.

And a little entertaining part. Second player gets five fouls for the home team. I go to the coach and tell her that is five fouls on 35. She replies, " I don't want to hear from you." She just sits there. I telll the timer to start the 20 second interval. 5 seconds horn. Coach just sits there. 20 seconds, horn, Whack! Coach gets up all mad, "I have 30 seconds!""No you have 20 seconds." "well that wasn't 20 seconds" "Yes it was, I had the timer time it." And away we went. They kinda fell apart and ended up losing by 8 in OT.
I have been told after that first 5 second horn to start talking to the coach that I need someone now. I need someone now before your time expires... hurry coach I have never had to call T for this, etc so everyone knows I did everything I could to warn and get them moving before calling the T.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Sometimes you work with people that just do not get it. Not sure that qualifies as "That guy." The bigger problem was the coach if you ask me.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I have been told after that first 5 second horn to start talking to the coach that I need someone now. I need someone now before your time expires... hurry coach I have never had to call T for this, etc so everyone knows I did everything I could to warn and get them moving before calling the T.
While I agree in general, if the coach has just told me "I don't want to hear from you" then I'm less likely to go above and beyond to avoid the T. I would include the coach's comments in the report.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:10pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
While I agree in general, if the coach has just told me "I don't want to hear from you" then I'm less likely to go above and beyond to avoid the T. I would include the coach's comments in the report.
The first time someone fouled out in that game she sort of did the same thing. I notified her, she waited. I started the replacement interval, first horn, then she got someone. I believe she new the rule and what she was doing especially the second time, except the 20 not 30 second part. Which ended up biting her.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:18pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Sometimes you work with people that just do not get it. Not sure that qualifies as "That guy." The bigger problem was the coach if you ask me.

Peace
I think a good majority of the time with incompetent officials it can lead to the coaches having more erratic behavior. There were plenty of other things my partner was doing that were just "off." He informed the coaches how many timeouts they had left which later had one coach questioning if he other team had used an extra timeout. He was getting after me for bouncing the ball to thrower in the backcourt when I was trail in transition, instead of switching sides and handing it to the player. There were all kinds of things. Anyway. A little of both doesn't help promote a smooth game.