The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good example. So the semicircle "line" really is like some type of demilitarized zone. It's illegal for the player behind the arc to touch it, and it's also illegal for the free throw shooter to touch it. Am I correct in this interpretation?
No.

Like all marking on the court, only ONE edge of the marking is relevant. The rest of the painted line/arc is just part of the court on that side of the relevant edge. The actual boundaries on the court indicated by the various markings are infinitely thin but painted with a thick stripe for visibility. No matter how thickly it is painted, the relevant boundary is always just one of its edges (with one exception that has two edges but only one at a time).
  • The FT lane lines are in the lane
  • The FT line is in the lane
  • The 3 point line is in the 2-point area
  • The division line is in the backcourt (from the perspective of the team with the ball as that is the only backccourt that matters)
  • The center circle is in the jump circle
  • The OOB lines are OOB.

In the case of the semi-cirlce, it is the outer edge just like every other line marking anything to to with the FT lane. The arc that marks the semicircle is in the semicircle. If the shooter is touching inside the semicircle and not touching outside of the semicircle, the shooter is in the semicircle (ignoring the vertical plane elements of the various lane boundary rules).

All of these points are made more clear when you recognize that the thickness of all of the markings of except the division line have "minimum" thicknesses but can legally be made much thicker and can even be solidly filled as in the case of the lane, semi-circle, jump circle, or 2-point area.

You can also look at the definition of the semi-circle....it has a 6' radius, not 5'10" with a 2" stripe that is no-mans land.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 09:40pm.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:54pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
NCAA Rules
Player attempting free throw receives ball from official while standing on line at top of semi circle.

Violation or ignore
And so my point was that the OP, as stated, is not a violation.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
NCAA Rules
Player attempting free throw receives ball from official while standing on line at top of semi circle.

Violation or ignore
I don't bounce the ball to the shooter until he/she is in the semi-circle.

But I once had a player step backwards and out of the semi-circle. Tweet.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 02:35am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I don't bounce the ball to the shooter until he/she is in the semi-circle.

But I once had a player step backwards and out of the semi-circle. Tweet.
Was watching a college game tonight, the Ft shooter hit the first then backed out of the circle for a few seconds then came back in and the L bounced him the ball after waiting patiently.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 07:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Most Excellent Post ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Only one edge of the marking is relevant. In the case of the semi-circle, it is the outer edge just like every other line marking anything to to with the FT lane. If the shooter is touching inside the semicircle and not touching outside of the semicircle, the shooter is in the semicircle. You can also look at the definition of the semi-circle, it has a 6' radius.
Camron Rust: Thanks for putting the time and effort into your post. It's legal for the shooter to have the back of his heel on the semicircle line. In terms of intellectual curiosity, this has been a fun thread, and I'm pleased that you brought some closure to it. All along I thought that edges were the real boundaries, so I was having trouble understanding how the entire thickness of the semicircle could be relevant. Thanks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 08:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The intent of my post was to spark discussion, and, or course, I failed miserably.
I would have thought Hawkeye's post would have sparked the same discussion.

I didn't answer the question b/c honestly I don't know.

edit: Now thanks to Camron I do know.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 08:59am.