The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Traveling?

Had this happen in a varsity HS girls game a couple of weeks ago. Throw in from the division line into the backcourt. The girl proceeds to head towards the wrong basket all alone ... the entire gym is screaming that she is going the wrong way as always when this happens. When she reaches the basket she stops, is in her shooting motion when she realizes she is at the wrong hoop. She releases the ball in mid shot and short arms it, and it doesn't hit the rim and she catches it again. She never moved her pivot foot and then turns and passes the ball back in the right direction. The opposing coach is screaming for traveling. I had nothing and explained to the coach that even though it looked funny, she did not violate. What do you guys have here?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:26am
TODO: creative title here

Play on.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
What do you guys have here?
A 10-second count.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

I have nothing... 4.44.3 D (a)...since you said she never moved her pivot. Had to be close to a 10 count though I would think.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Had this happen in a varsity HS girls game a couple of weeks ago. Throw in from the division line into the backcourt. The girl proceeds to head towards the wrong basket all alone ... the entire gym is screaming that she is going the wrong way as always when this happens. When she reaches the basket she stops, is in her shooting motion when she realizes she is at the wrong hoop. She releases the ball in mid shot and short arms it, and it doesn't hit the rim and she catches it again. She never moved her pivot foot and then turns and passes the ball back in the right direction. The opposing coach is screaming for traveling. I had nothing and explained to the coach that even though it looked funny, she did not violate. What do you guys have here?
Outstanding job of holding your whistle. Too many of us call something just b/c it looks funny.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Outstanding job of holding your whistle. Too many of us call something just b/c it looks funny.
This brings up a point that I was going to start a new topic about but I'll just post it here.

Do you guys find yourself calling fewer traveling violations than partners normally? Roughly the same amount? More than your partners? I've found, this season especially, that it seems I call a lot fewer traveling violations than most people I work with. I'm not saying that I don't miss a few, because I'm sure I do, but I'm beginning to think that some people call travels because they "look funny" and coaches/fans constantly want them called even when they're not violations. It seems like guys call traveling a lot when players don't have control of the ball. Usually it happens when a player is running and trying to catch a pass and fumbles the ball while still running.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:32pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post

..... some people call travels because they "look funny" and coaches/fans constantly want them called even when they're not violations. It seems like guys call traveling a lot when players don't have control of the ball. Usually it happens when a player is running and trying to catch a pass and fumbles the ball while still running.

This is true, but the opposite is what is rapidly on the rise, in my opinion. Some calls, and traveling is at the top of the list, are not made because they don't look funny. A move can be a thing of beauty to watch (spin move is probably the prime example) and still be illegal.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
This brings up a point that I was going to start a new topic about but I'll just post it here.

Do you guys find yourself calling fewer traveling violations than partners normally?
I call fewer than most of my partners but I admit my standard for calling it is pretty high since I think I still struggle with picking it up.