The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Is it possible for someone to travel while dribbling? I was looking in the NCAA rule book, but can't seem to find anything. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right space. I'm getting sick of this Allen Iverson set up crossover junk that's plaguing everything under the NBA. Oh, and I'm not some upset fan or player that comes to the board around tourney time, I'm an official. I just read the board a lot more than I post...
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

No, you can never travel when dribbling.

AI's crossover would either be carrying/palming or a double dribble.

Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Spareme
Is it possible for someone to travel while dribbling?
No. Basketball Rules Fundamentals #6.

Quote:
I'm getting sick of this Allen Iverson set up crossover junk that's plaguing everything under the NBA.
1) Why are you looking in the NCAA book for rulings when you're concerned about the NBA rules?

2) NBA officials are somewhat more lenient about calling travels than NCAA officials.

3) The Iverson crossover is actually a double dribble. The ball comes to rest in his hand and then he dribbles again. The NBA issued an interpretation that his "move" was not legal several seasons ago.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
[B]
Quote:
Is it possible for someone to travel while dribbling?
No. Basketball Rules Fundamentals #6.

Quote:
I'm getting sick of this Allen Iverson set up crossover junk that's plaguing everything under the NBA.
1) Why are you looking in the NCAA book for rulings when you're concerned about the NBA rules?

Ummmm, I guess I wasn't quite clear enough in my initial post. When I stated "plaguing everything under the NBA", I guess I was referring to basketball UNDER the NBA(i.e college, high school, middle school, rec, etc...

I just don't like how someone can get off 4-5 steps in between dribbles...
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 01:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Ummmm, I guess I wasn't quite clear enough in my initial post. When I stated "plaguing everything under the NBA", I guess I was referring to basketball UNDER the NBA(i.e college, high school, middle school, rec, etc...

I just don't like how someone can get off 4-5 steps in between dribbles...
Well, then you wouldn't have much fun ref'n AAU tourney's in BubbaChuck's home turf like I get to do every spring. I get lots of practice on my "palming" mechanic.