The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:17am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's never misinterpreted in games I work. Once explained the rule to a complaining, a-hole AAU coach from Texas whose response was "I don't care what the rule is".
Same here. The bad thing is I get it right and coach gets mad and thinks I am wrong because someone else actually did get it wrong. Not that I care about him getting mad.

Funny thing is the girls coach was at scorers table with case book trying to find it and couldn't. I showed him after the game, some crazy momma told me I needed to get my rulebook out and read it. To funny.

Last edited by OKREF; Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 11:20am.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:57am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Varsity game this was.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's never misinterpreted in games I work. Once explained the rule to a complaining, a-hole AAU coach from Texas whose response was "I don't care what the rule is".
Everything's bigger in Texas. Even the a-hole AAU coaches. Summertime is fun around here on the weekends.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
had an entire varsity team (hc, acs, players, trainer, bus driver) stand and signal for a t on a play like this. I gave them a timeout.
lol. Awesome! :d
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

"B2 slaps backboard pretty hard but not so hard that it shakes rim or causes ball to not go in."

Don't have books with me at work, but why is this part of the play even relevant? Doesn't the rule state "intentionally strike the backboard..."

shaking the rim or causes ball to not go in..the slapping of the backboard MUST be intentional, if not we play on and whatever happens as a result needs to be supported by rule...ie basket interference or goaltending; can't have goaltending without touching the ball, and the backboard is not part of the basket, hence no basket interference.

What am I missing?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

I apologize if "tone" may seem bad. I just wanted to take the discussion a bit further in regards to the slapping of the backboard.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:46pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRef View Post
"B2 slaps backboard pretty hard but not so hard that it shakes rim or causes ball to not go in."

Don't have books with me at work, but why is this part of the play even relevant? Doesn't the rule state "intentionally strike the backboard..."

shaking the rim or causes ball to not go in..the slapping of the backboard MUST be intentional, if not we play on and whatever happens as a result needs to be supported by rule...ie basket interference or goaltending; can't have goaltending without touching the ball, and the backboard is not part of the basket, hence no basket interference.

What am I missing?
You're right, it doesn't matter. After I told him it wasn't a T, he wanted goaltending, which I explained it wasn't that either.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:54pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Haha... you gave him too much credit in your OP.

You did the right thing. I have been in the same boat and my response was: "Coach, by rule it is a legal play if the defender is attempting to block a shot." At that point, my dialog ends.
I shake my head, maybe. At that point, my dialog ends.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:54pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsref View Post
it's never misinterpreted in games i work. Once explained the rule to a complaining, a-hole aau coach from texas whose response was "i don't care what the rule is".
lmao...what a response from a coach...dumb a$$!
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 03:01pm
Back from the DL

Myths happen.

Last year, JVB, H-32 got frustrated and pounded the padding on the end line. My partner whacked him.

H-32 then untucks his jersey, as if he fouled out. (In a way, he did. Coach H has a rule that you're done if you get a T.) Coach V is right on me that untucking the jersey is a technical foul. While someone could make the case that it's an unsportsmanlike act, I didn't find it be, and it's certainly not an automatic T. My partner also figured it would be "double jeopardy" to nail him so quickly on the second one.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 03:04pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Myths happen.

Last year, JVB, H-32 got frustrated and pounded the padding on the end line. My partner whacked him.

H-32 then untucks his jersey, as if he fouled out. (In a way, he did. Coach H has a rule that you're done if you get a T.) Coach V is right on me that untucking the jersey is a technical foul. While someone could make the case that it's an unsportsmanlike act, I didn't find it be, and it's certainly not an automatic T. My partner also figured it would be "double jeopardy" to nail him so quickly on the second one.
Isn't there a case play about this? I think it says it is an unsporting technical foul. If they are protesting a call, which doesn't seem to be the case here in your eyes.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 03:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
lmao...what a response from a coach...dumb a$$!
It was the last time I spoke to him that game.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Color Memories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRef View Post
"B2 slaps backboard pretty hard but not so hard that it shakes rim or causes ball to not go in." ... why is this part of the play even relevant? ... shaking the rim ... What am I missing?
You're missing something that is ancient history. "Causing the rim to shake" used to be part of the rule about thirty years ago.

Note: I had a coach tell me tonight that I couldn't call a five second closely guarded violation against his dribbler because the dribbler broke the plane of the hash mark. I told him to show me the hash mark, and, of course, he couldn't, because it wasn't there anymore, and hasn't been in the rule book for about twenty years.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You're missing something that is ancient history. "Causing the rim to shake" used to be part of the rule about thirty years ago.
The word shake was replaced by the word vibrate? Progress, I suppose.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 02:14am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Note: I had a coach tell me tonight that I couldn't call a five second closely guarded violation against his dribbler because the dribbler broke the plane of the hash mark. I told him to show me the hash mark, and, of course, he couldn't, because it wasn't there anymore, and hasn't been in the rule book for about twenty years.
I had an pregame meeting with a coach (5th/6th CYO) a few weeks ago and he asked us if we were going to play this game using that rule. I had never heard of such a rule, but knew it was not in the book. We said no. The worst part: the coach was serious.