The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

legal?

On the way to my game tonight I was telling my partner about this website, and he gave me a situation he wasn't sure on and wanted me to post for him.

Him and his partner for that game both have 40+ years of experence and have never seen this happen before until last week. Here it is...

The first quarter had just come to a finish and the home team's coach took his players into the locker room. (im not sure why but neither of them said anything to them as they left the court) The players and coach were only in the locker room for about 30 seconds and they were back onto the court ready to go for the start of play.

Is there any rule about going into the locker room between quarters as long as you are back in time to start the next quarter?

and as a side note, my first thought was the coach wanted to go in and give her players a good *** chewing, but this coach as had a long history of being very calm making that unlikely
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbballref View Post
On the way to my game tonight I was telling my partner about this website, and he gave me a situation he wasn't sure on and wanted me to post for him.

Him and his partner for that game both have 40+ years of experence and have never seen this happen before until last week. Here it is...

The first quarter had just come to a finish and the home team's coach took his players into the locker room. (im not sure why but neither of them said anything to them as they left the court) The players and coach were only in the locker room for about 30 seconds and they were back onto the court ready to go for the start of play.

Is there any rule about going into the locker room between quarters as long as you are back in time to start the next quarter?

and as a side note, my first thought was the coach wanted to go in and give her players a good *** chewing, but this coach as had a long history of being very calm making that unlikely
Actually had a partner with a similar situation, only with a single player who did it when substituted. After much discussion and asking our rule interpreter, the consensus was that it was ok. The rules say a player gets a T for leaving the court to show disgust. Inferring from that, as long as the player doesn't leave for that purpose, it's not a foul. Sort of along the lines that if it's not prohibited or explicitly regulated, it's nothing. In this, I guess as long as they get back in time and don't cause a delay I suppose it's ok. The only reference I can think of that regulates location of players during a time out is the requirement to remain standing on the court for a 30 sec. If they were required to be on the bench or otherwise on the court for a full, then the rule book should state that. As it doesn't, I'm sure not going to put it in there.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Since the time after the first and third quarters is considered an "intermission" there is no requirement to remain at the bench. Rule 5-5-1
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

I saw it as a no harn no foul type of thing, they made it back in time to play so let the game continue.... thanks for the responce
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Whould it be the same if this were to happen during a time out?
It's not an intermission but they are back in time for the ready to play horn.....
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Whould it be the same if this were to happen during a time out?
It's not an intermission but they are back in time for the ready to play horn.....
No, not the same.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

what would the call be on that then? a T for leaving the court?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
what would the call be on that then? A t for leaving the court?
10-5-5