The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Likewise in Oregon with the occasional exception that must be approved by the state....some areas just don't have enough bodies to cover all the game they have and the assignor must work or the game would be left uncovered.
Which is also the reason they still allow assignors to work in other sports where fewer officials are usually available.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I believe OhioHSAA does not allow assignors to work tournaments for many of the same "good ole boy" reasons mentioned above.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

All assignors that I have worked for are active officials. I have no problems with anything. 1 college assignor was no longer active and had no problems with that either.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I believe OhioHSAA does not allow assignors to work tournaments for many of the same "good ole boy" reasons mentioned above.
Is that because they assign playoff games?

The State office assigns everything here so assignor become a non-factor. As a matter of fact in basketball assignors are often not accomplished officials as some of their staffs. That is why I love our system.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think so. The tournament assignments come from the AA, but you have to get into the pool first. In many sports, one of the ways into the pool is for the local officials associations to vote on the best officials in their group. There could be the appearance of impropriety there (you vote for me and I'll make sure you get the good games), even if it's not true.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 01:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't think so. The tournament assignments come from the AA, but you have to get into the pool first. In many sports, one of the ways into the pool is for the local officials associations to vote on the best officials in their group. There could be the appearance of impropriety there (you vote for me and I'll make sure you get the good games), even if it's not true.
You don't think so what?

Well that seems to be a flaw in your system if that situation is the case. Assignors in our system give us the games during the regular season of course, but the regular official has little influence on what that does for assignor. We do have a Top 15 list that Certified (the top classification that takes some years to get to) Officials can send to the state, but that list is private and goes directly to the state. They take percentages in ratings and Top 15 list percentages and that helps them make the decision (These are only 10 total points to a 40 Point Power Rating). This is why our assignors can work games because someone like myself has very little if any influence on who gets a playoff game and they have little influence other than giving me games to do the same. And it is up to me as an official to work with assignors I feel comfortable with and if they were trying to use their power to get on Top 15 lists or use other tactics, it would not likely go over very well or not work all together. I guess I never get the states that have associations with so much power and not give that power to the state or some independent body to make those kinds of decisions. Any voting just opens up for politics and favoritism.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
.... I guess I never get the states that have associations with so much power and not give that power to the state or some independent body to make those kinds of decisions. Any voting just opens up for politics and favoritism.

Peace
I work in a state where the assignors did have too much power when it came to state assignments. That was one of the major reasons our commissioner got voted out a few years ago and caused a major rift in officiating locally.

Now the state asks for names of officials from each association to attend a state tournament eval camp every summer. So now, in order to work a state tournament game you have to be recommended from that camp or have officiated a state tourney game previously. The first year of this camp our commissioner refused to send in any names. The next year he did the same and got voted out of office.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is that because they assign playoff games?
Quote:
I don't think so.
It really wasn't that hard to follow.

Quote:
Well that seems to be a flaw in your system if that situation is the case.
Who said it was "my" system? And even if it was, I don't recall asking for your input on whether it was a good system or not. The OP asked a question about assigners working games. I offered the only limitation placed on assignors in my state that I was aware of.

You know, for somebody who is constantly telling people that you'll do it your way and you don't care what others think about it, you have a lot of opinions about what goes on in other places.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

So the only issue I see is assignors working games in the conference they assign. As a last resort to cover games, I have no issue.

I worked in a small-college conference where the assignor worked a LOT of games. He used his schedule as an opportunity to see all of the teams AND officials covering several states. I know the coaches hated it because they: 1. Couldn't rate him or 2. Complain about the officiating for fear of getting bad officials assigned to their road games.

The reality is that it is part of the game and out of our hands.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It really wasn't that hard to follow.

Who said it was "my" system? And even if it was, I don't recall asking for your input on whether it was a good system or not. The OP asked a question about assigners working games. I offered the only limitation placed on assignors in my state that I was aware of.

You know, for somebody who is constantly telling people that you'll do it your way and you don't care what others think about it, you have a lot of opinions about what goes on in other places.
It is "your" system if you are working under that system.

And if it offends you for someone to comment on this issue, then why did you tell us your opinion of that system?? And if you worked in a system where the assignors had a conflict of interest, then I could see why you would be upset by assignors role in working games. But that appears to be not what most people here have an issue with and for those like yourself that have an issue, it does help everyone when you explain your system. Otherwise people are going to assume that you are just mad that they work games with not much merit by a personal complaint.

And most of all this is a discussion board. And we talk about these kinds of local differences all the time here. And no matter what my opinion is, it is not going to change what you guys do for sure. Do not think I am going to lose a night of sleep over what your system is all about. As I have said before I got my games already and will work whatever I am assigned. I am good.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I work in a state where the assignors did have too much power when it came to state assignments. That was one of the major reasons our commissioner got voted out a few years ago and caused a major rift in officiating locally.

Now the state asks for names of officials from each association to attend a state tournament eval camp every summer. So now, in order to work a state tournament game you have to be recommended from that camp or have officiated a state tourney game previously. The first year of this camp our commissioner refused to send in any names. The next year he did the same and got voted out of office.
Sounds like you guys ultimately have the power, which is why he is no longer in that position.

Peace