The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I know that I've read that some of you work 300 or more games each year. Where do you find all of these games. Most of us here are in our down time and missing out on doing games. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
I know that I've read that some of you work 300 or more games each year. Where do you find all of these games. Most of us here are in our down time and missing out on doing games. I would appreciate any suggestions.
According to my wife, I must do at least 500 games because she says I am gone every night. Actually, I do about 250 games a year. I am in the northern VA area and we have AAU and house leagues that go year round. My assignor is constantly calling me to take more games. On a week-end, I will do a 3-game set on either Saturday or Sunday, but it is rare that I do games on both days -- more rare in the summer than winter because of "honey-do's".
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 04:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It depends.

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
If you do not have standards of what levels you do or you do not care what you get paid or who you work with, you can do those many games all the time.

But if you have standards and care who you work with, then doing 100 games might be a problem.

Just a thought.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 05:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: It depends.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
If you do not have standards of what levels you do or you do not care what you get paid or who you work with, you can do those many games all the time.

But if you have standards and care who you work with, then doing 100 games might be a problem.

Just a thought.

Peace
I do lots of games and I have "standards". My "standards" for doing kid's rec games are that the games are enjoyable, that they are near my home, that I like my partners and that I can help the kids have fun and benefit from the program.

Using these "standards", I could do as many as 400 games each year, but another of my "standards" is to not work more games than my body will allow and that my family will appreciate.

I guess if your "standards" are to only do games that will help you progress to higher levels of officiating, that's fine for you. But - different strokes for different folks.

Around my area (Portland OR), rec leagues go at least 10 months a year, with only July and August usually being "empty".

There are some guys around here who do between 400 and 500 games a year. Their main "standard" is to make money at a second job and not have to travel to do it. Besides, they are in incredible shape. More power to 'em.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 06:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Standards.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

I do lots of games and I have "standards". My "standards" for doing kid's rec games are that the games are enjoyable, that they are near my home, that I like my partners and that I can help the kids have fun and benefit from the program.

Using these "standards", I could do as many as 400 games each year, but another of my "standards" is to not work more games than my body will allow and that my family will appreciate.

I guess if your "standards" are to only do games that will help you progress to higher levels of officiating, that's fine for you. But - different strokes for different folks.

Around my area (Portland OR), rec leagues go at least 10 months a year, with only July and August usually being "empty".

There are some guys around here who do between 400 and 500 games a year. Their main "standard" is to make money at a second job and not have to travel to do it. Besides, they are in incredible shape. More power to 'em.

Mark you missed the point. If you want to do the "Prison League," usually you will not find many people jumping out to officiate that. And it is not like all the best assignors or evaluators are going to be there to help you. If you are doing Men's leagues, at least where I am from, no one is there to tell you what you need to improve on to be better or get better for that matter.

My "standards" are to get better. If I am not getting, than that does not fit in my standards and does not fit in many other people's standards that I know. And when you work at some games, you might work with partners that do not want to switch, or stick to the proper mechanics, call the proper game, or you might have to deal with rules that you will never see in your HS or college schedules.

I just want to get better, and doing "rec leagues," sometimes many AAU tournaments and many summer leagues will not help you in that catagory. But that is my opinion.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 10:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Rut - my theory is - "You can't improve on perfection."