The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Calling out a fellow official? Advice needed.

Hello all. I need some advice on how to proceed following a very difficult game last night. The facts are the following

1) JV Boys Game
2) VERY physical game
3) 2 man crew
4) My partner and I called 36 fouls in the game. I called 31 of them, including 20 of the 21 in the second half.
5) Very close game thoughout. Final 2 point margin of victory

This was a very physical game from the start, with alot of off the ball picks. Both teams fought hard to set screens and fight through them and rough play in the post. My partner missed (in my opinion) several hard fouls throughout the half. The game was tinkering on getting "out of control" just before half time.

As referee, at halftime, I mentioned that we needed to establish control right from the start of the second half. During the 2nd half, the play was just as rough, and I did everything I could to try to get the game back under control. In the second half, both coaches (at different times) called me aside and asked me if my partner was going to do anything to help me out in the game. Both times I was diplomatic, and never acknowledged that my partner wasn't doing his job (I think all of us would do the same thing) Several comments from an increasingly beligerent crowd echoed those comments.

I reiterated to my partner at the end of the 3rd quarter and a timeout early in the 4th quarter, that we needed to get control. Admittedly I never said "I need you to start calling some fouls" directly, hoping he would infer what I meant. The game was out of control until the final whistle.

After the game, my partner left without meeting in the locker room. The AD of the losing school found me after the game, and calmly thanked me for doing everything I could, and mentioned he would be calling the league commissioner and assignor to report the horrible performance by my partner.

I have worked with this official once before just a couple of weeks prior. The game went staggeringly similar. I really have no interest in working with this official again. I appreciate some advice on the following:

1) Do I contact my assignor and request we don't work together? (It's important to note he is a veteran with 30 years experience and I'm just in my 4th year of HS ball, but 16 years experience overall).
2) Or do I let sleeping dogs lie as I am not assigned to work with him anymore and expect that the AD will be filling a report anyway?

Thanks for your help in advance, I have found this forum really helpful this year.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 02:56pm
We don't rent pigs

get in, get done, get out

Thanks, mick

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

You said this was a JV game right? So it suggests your partner is there for a reason as well as you are. Just work the game and leave. You are not going to get everyone to do the things the same way you do them or have the same understanding you might.

I would even be careful what you say to others about this because they will have a story too. They might say you took everything in the game and that you did not allow them to work. And I get that sometimes you might have to call a lot of stuff in a 2 man system, but I would make sure that anything that is not in my immediate area or dual area, let them live and die with stuff. You cannot save everyone or every play.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Many new officials often go through several phases in the beginning. One of those is just being stunned an unsure what to do....so they do nothing. He may or may not develop beyond that phase. Don't write him off yet. Maybe, if you work with him again, you should approach him differently....more trying to pull him up.

EDIT: I apparently didn't read the whole post...that he was a 40 yr. guy. Forget what I suggested.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:52pm.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

If asked, tell the truth about the guy.

Otherwise, let the schools do the talking at this point in your officiating career.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

So I'm working a JV game last night, and my partner was calling all sorts of fouls on incidental contact. He even tried to subtly talk me into going off his cliff. It didn't help matters that since he was calling every touch under the sun, the coaches and fans were expecting me to as well.

How do I get a fourth year guy like this to better understand incidental contact? I've worked with him before, and he did the same thing. Calling all over the court, calling fouls on plays right in front of me that were clearly incidental, if contact was even made at all.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:43pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
So I'm working a JV game last night, and my partner was calling all sorts of fouls on incidental contact. He even tried to subtly talk me into going off his cliff. It didn't help matters that since he was calling every touch under the sun, the coaches and fans were expecting me to as well.

How do I get a fourth year guy like this to better understand incidental contact? I've worked with him before, and he did the same thing. Calling all over the court, calling fouls on plays right in front of me that were clearly incidental, if contact was even made at all.
Okay, we've heard opininions. Let's look at the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lads25 View Post
4) My partner and I called 36 fouls in the game. I called 31 of them, including 20 of the 21 in the second half.
If a guy calls 20 of 21 fouls in a half, it is certainly possible he called too many. But, from here, it sounds more likely that the other guy was making a point of holding his original position.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Okay, we've heard opininions. Let's look at the fact.

If a guy calls 20 of 21 fouls in a half, it is certainly possible he called too many. But, from here, it sounds more likely that the other guy was making a point of holding his original position.
Don't mind, That Guy
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1) Do I contact my assignor and request we don't work together? (It's important to note he is a veteran with 30 years experience and I'm just in my 4th year of HS ball, but 16 years experience overall).
I would call the assignor and explain what happened. I would end it with, "I would rather not work with him again."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post

That might all be true, but the point I think is that the other guy might have another point. Then you get into a he said, he said situation. And I am sure it is a little exaggerated that he called 20 of 21 fouls. Maybe he called the lion's share or 90% of the fouls, but that number might have a better explaination than saying a specific number unless he could remember every foul. I know I cannot remember every foul that is called to that extent. The point is the partner might have a story to tell as well and it might not be favorable in his direction. That is why you have to be careful when going out on your partner. And if you are not a veteran or well known, it would not likely be to your advantage. They might ask you or me what we think of a partner, but not this guy necessarily.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

I can promise I am not exaggerating on the 20 of 21 foul calls. Have video. Nevertheless, I appreciate the advice that has been coming in....
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 06:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I can promise I am not exaggerating on the 20 of 21 foul calls. Have video. Nevertheless, I appreciate the advice that has been coming in....
It does not matter if you are. The point is you will open up a can of worms you might not like the result even if you are doing the "right thing."

Peace
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

If your association uses arbiter and allows blocks, go in and block him. In Utah we can block up to three individuals and no one says a thing becuase it is in the software
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Kelvin, we do use arbiter. Wasn't aware of the software's capabilities. Could be the best approach. Thanks
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 06:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
If your association uses arbiter and allows blocks, go in and block him. In Utah we can block up to three individuals and no one says a thing becuase it is in the software
Can't the assignor or person with assignor privilege override the block? That has been my experience with that software. I am sure you could block anyone or anything you like, but someone would be aware and still want to know why.

Peace