The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I need some kind of exercises to strengthen my back, and improve my posture. I saw some tape of myself this weekend, and I look, in a word, dumpy. I really can't believe how bad my posture is. Any advice?
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:17pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I need some kind of exercises to strengthen my back, and improve my posture. I saw some tape of myself this weekend, and I look, in a word, dumpy. I really can't believe how bad my posture is. Any advice?
Think Tall.
Be Tall.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

My advice is strength type workouts. Ab exercises strengthen the back muscles and any type of weight training exercises will help overall. You can do weight training for toning and strengthening and not for bulking up.

A decent piece of equipment for the home that works well for toning and strength training is a Total Gymn. I have used one for years and it help me lose over 30lbs.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Think Tall.
Be Tall.
Chuck tried that. Didn't work!
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
What -- no Mini-Me? You're slippin', JR. Cuttin' corners. . . Sad day. . .
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Due to a chronic neck problem, I've been going through a lot of treatment to improve my posture. I've been given some of these exercises by my physical therapists, some by my orthopedist, and a couple by my chiropractor. It seems that much bad posture is due to lack of strength in the "lats" and shoulder muscles. It can also be due the tightness in the "pecs", so stretching these also helps. All should be done at least 2 times a day. None are strenuous so they can be done every day without risk.

1. Pec stretch - Stand in doorway (or facing a corner if you are not wide enough to do this stretch in a doorway), place your forearms against the door frame (or walls) with one leg bent and the other back. This should be like lunge step. Your arms should be placed so that you hands are about ear height. Push your torso forward gently, stretching your pecs. Hold the for a 30sec count. Switch legs (gives a good calf and Achilles stretch as well) and repeat 2 more time (3 total). Do this twice a day.

2. Place your hands behind your head, just above the neck, with your finger tips just touching. With your mouth open a bit, move your head backward while trying to bring your shoulder blades together behind your back. Hold this for 5 seconds, and repeat 15 times.

3. Get one of those stretch bands. They are either rubber tubing or just a long (3-4 feet) strip of rubber. You can get them in a sporting goods store. Attach the middle to a door knob, or something similar. Stand facing the door knob with one end of the band in each hand. Slowly, with your arms straight, pull your arms back so they are sticking straight out in a T. Hold it for 5 seconds. Repeat 30 times.

4. With the same band, take one end in your right hand, with your left shoulder toward the door knob. Your right elbow should be on your right hip, and your hand will be across your stomach. Position yourself so that the band has no slack in it with you. Put a rolled up towel under your right arm. Slowly, bring your arm out to perpendicular to your body, and hold it for 5 seconds. Repeat 15 times. Change directions and repeat with your left hand.

5. With the band in your right hand, but this time the door knob on your right, have your right elbow against your right hip and you forearm perpendicular to your body. (This is like the finishing position from 4.) Slowly pull the band across your body until your forearm lies flat against your stomach. Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 15 times. Switch to the other arm.

6. This is ideally done on a bench, but it isn't absolutely required. You will be lying face down, with your arms at your side. With your palms up, slowly bring your hand as high as you as you can up behind you. (As you get used to this, your can add 1-2 lbs weights.) Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 15 time.

7. Also best with a bench, lying face down with your arms stretch out in a T. With your thumbs sticking up toward the ceiling, try to raise you arms as high as you can, hold for 5 seconds, then repeat 15 times. This can also be done with light weights.

If you have access to a gym, get set up to do lat pulls, and the butterflies in which you face the machine and bring your bent arms back, sort of in the same position and in stretch # 1, above.

You probably want to avoid strengthening the muscles on the front of your body, but you probably do want to stretch them.

Hope this helps. All of these things are low impact, and 1-7 can all be done at home without significant expense.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
What -- no Mini-Me? You're slippin', JR. Cuttin' corners. . . Sad day. . .
Chuck, I did that out of respect for the great job that you did AGAIN this Christmas. I could never disrespect anyone who makes little boys and girls around the world so happy at this time of year.

Now, have a well-deserved rest. You're off now until St. Patrick's Day, aren't you?

Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Crunches and leg lifts are good for abs & lower back. Push ups and pull ups are good for upper torso back & front as well as arms and neck. And at you age young lady you should be doing some relatively light free weights to keep your bone density up. And don't be sloppy about it, it's far better to do 5 with good form than 25 with poor form.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
A "Grumpy" Santa? That has to be pretty close to sacrilege!
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker,
I moonlight as a physical therapist when not reffing so I hope this'll help. Posture is one of those nasty little habits than can really mess a person up over time!

The first thing to know is if you have any previous back/neck/shoulder problems...if not, then I would begin simply by nagging yourself to sit or stand up straight throughout the day. Think of lifting your breastbone up toward the ceiling instead of squeezing your shoulder blades together to correct your posture. If you're like me, you'll get tired of this after a bit, but keep reminding yourself to be upright and tall and your muscles will catch on soon enough.

As far as exercises go, simple stretches and strengthening for your chest, shoulders (especially shoulder blades muscles), abs, and low back will work. Choose higher numbers of repetitions over heavier weight.

If you need more specifics, drop me a line and I can try to set you up with more info.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 04:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Juulie - you are definitely not Dumpy. Sneezy and Grouchy maybe, but not Dumpy.

Yeah - I know - I'm Dopey. Beat ya to it.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Juulie - you are definitely not Dumpy...
I just play her on TV?
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Think Tall.
Be Tall.
My grandmother used to say (which her grandmother used to say to her!), "Be proud of every inch!"
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Think Tall.
Be Tall.
My grandmother used to say (which her grandmother used to say to her!), "Be proud of every inch!"

uhmmmmmmm....never mind.

So, got big plans for new years eve?
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Think Tall.
Be Tall.

uhmmmmmmm....never mind. [/B]
Dan, think tall. think posture. Get your mind out of the gutter..

New Year's Eve? Zzzzzzzz...