The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Butler-Gonzaga finish (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93602-butler-gonzaga-finish.html)

Rich Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 873240)
I do too. I believe he went to O'Fallon High School and two former partners of mine worked that school at the Pekin Sectional against Normal Community High School. I believe Jones was a Junior at the time. I did not watch him and think this is where he would be in his career. It is great he is doing well, but that is Illinois basketball for you too. ;)

Peace

I've followed a few players through their big-time college and NBA careers.

One that sticks in my mind (because it was a game I worked when Chris Duhon was a freshman or sophomore in HS) -- it was the year I lived in (and plotted my escape from) Slidell, LA. The game was something like 93-87 and we worked it 2-man. Never ran so hard on a court before or since.

Hard to believe that was 15+ years ago now.

APG Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:21am

The only thing that I "might" even consider entertaining is the contact during the throw-in. But that's nothing.

The 2nd part? Not even close to an offensive foul (and I'm being diplomatic in saying that). I don't know what in the heck you're talking about when you say the dribbler somehow "dipped his shoulder" (and this is a term I hate hearing from officials...it's in the same vein as claiming a defender that blocks a shot got the player "with the body."). That's not a foul in the NBA, NCAA, high school, middle school, elementary school school, etc.

Also, no game would be "better" if it was called 100 percent by the book...no sport is. But that doesn't even apply on this play because all the contact seen in this play is incidental contact, which is in the rule book.

Honestly, I'd expect such a bad call to be suggested and justified by a fan of the losing team.

Adam Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:54am

You are certainly free to disagree with their judgment with regard to what contact is incidental, but claiming they aren't calling it by the rules because you disagree is nothing more than hubris.

SAJ Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:06pm

Appears on the inbound pass the offensive player initially "posted up" the defense expecting the high pass, then made two quick steps likely attempting to make space for a bounce pass. Then the high pass went to where he was and he was out of position. It doesn't appear the contact by the defender would have caused that much movement, so most if not all was on the offense.

bob jenkins Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 873237)
I only saw the end. A foul on either the inbounds pass or the drive never once entered my mind and wouldn't have ever entered my mind if I hadn't seen this thread today.

These are not fouls at the college level or high school level or any other level. Contact is not a foul.

+1

But the complaining is much more "entertaining" than praising the officials for getting the travel call on the inbounds just prior to that.

SNIPERBBB Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 873257)
+1

But the complaining is much more "entertaining" than praising the officials for getting the travel call on the inbounds just prior to that.

Travel call on the inbounds?

bob jenkins Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 873260)
Travel call on the inbounds?

Butler inbounds form endline. Player who catches ball travels as he starts his dribble. THat sets up the Gonzaga inbound we've been watching.

just another ref Sun Jan 20, 2013 01:06pm

ALL the fans:HE DIPPED HIS SHOULDER!

Official: So what?

APG Sun Jan 20, 2013 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 873271)
all the fans:he dipped his shoulder!

official: So what?

+1000!

canuckrefguy Sun Jan 20, 2013 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by drofficial (Post 873229)
My point exactly: When a defender leans and leans, and then clearly pushes with an extended arm, we now call that "incidental contact" simply because the offended player does not fall to the floor. And we wonder why we have trouble with flopping.

When we have bodies on the floor, we have to call something. But if we have an obvious push and the player does not fall down, it's incidental contact. Think of the foolishness of that philosophy.

When I viewed the clip, I was expecting something big. I'm still looking. :confused:

You are out to lunch on this one.

Camron Rust Sun Jan 20, 2013 02:41pm

Is this the right video? I can't find anything in it that matches the claims of drofficial?

JetMetFan Sun Jan 20, 2013 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 873222)
When I watch the video, I hear the buzzer at 0.8 or 0.7 seconds remaining. Anyone else experience that?

I noticed that too. I tried to freeze it as best as I could and it looked like the horn went off AND the red light came on with about 0.5 on the clock. Very odd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drofficial (Post 873219)
Of course, no "good official" would ever call either one in that case.

Of course, no "good official" would've ever called the travel on the Butler inbounds play, either...

JRutledge Sun Jan 20, 2013 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 873271)
ALL the fans:HE DIPPED HIS SHOULDER!

Official: So what?

Had that cry in a college game yesterday and basically that is what I said to a player. ;)

Peace

bob jenkins Sun Jan 20, 2013 04:49pm

[QUOTE=JetMetFan;873295]I noticed that too. I tried to freeze it as best as I could and it looked like the horn went off AND the red light came on with about 0.5 on the clock. Very odd.

Are you looking at the clock above the backboard, or the "clock" on the espn score display at the bottom of the screen? Only the former counts -- the second is just there for information. If you watch a game closely, you can see the "espn clock" reset several times during the game to match what's correct.

Even in arenas where this is syncronized, there's a slight but appreciable delay.

APG Sun Jan 20, 2013 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 873304)

Are you looking at the clock above the backboard, or the "clock" on the espn score display at the bottom of the screen? Only the former counts -- the second is just there for information. If you watch a game closely, you can see the "espn clock" reset several times during the game to match what's correct.

Even in arenas where this is syncronized, there's a slight but appreciable delay.

During most telecasts, the official clocks and the one on TV overlays are off by .1-.3 seconds. One can really see this during NBA games when the shot clock gets under 5 seconds when tenths of a second are on the clock.

As to the clip, I think the sound and video are a little bit off sync. Oh and this is still not a foul...NBA, NCAA, HS, MS, etc. :D