The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:10am
We don't rent pigs

Pressed Into Service

I went to watch games at the high school a mile from my home last night. The officials were both guys I know and have had as partners. We spoke briefly before the start and for a few minutes at halftime of the girls game. Middle of the 3rd quarter something happened. I saw both officials walking toward the locker room and the senior member of the team was gesturing to me. Didn't know what was going on, but I knew it was serious. Turns out one of the guys was having chest pains. There were a couple of medical professionals in the crowd, and after a quick look it was decided that an ambulance should be called. I was asked to fill in for the remainder of the night. I said I would need 12 minutes and I'd be ready to go. Not sure how long it took, but I was back and all set before the ambulance ever left. Official got a respectable hand from the crowd on his departure.

Home coach introduced me to the visiting coach: "This is my brother." (home coach is that kind of guy)

My partner made his own introduction: "This is Mr. ____. He is a certified official."

Finished the night without incident. Home team lost both games decisively.

Official was released from the hospital about the time we finished. Turns out he had taken an aspirin + caffeine product which apparently caused his heart to race.

It's nice to feel needed.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:18pm.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 09:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs up

Good for you JAR!

For you young officials - Bring your bag with you to games you watch if you can, as ya never know!

We had an official in our Association bring his stuff to a playoff game a few years back and get to suit-up as the assigned official was very late. Just shows to go you! Be ready!
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 10:31am
Courageous When Prudent

I had a friend get his big D1 break when he was leaving his own D2 game and about 20 miles away a D1 game started off with the R getting a concussion on the opening toss. My friend was listening on the radio, called his supervisor (coordinator for both conferences), and was inserted into the game for the 2nd half.

Next season he received about 15-20 games D1 games from that supervisor including a nationally televised ESPN game.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I had a friend get his big D1 break when he was leaving his own D2 game and about 20 miles away a D1 game started off with the R getting a concussion on the opening toss. My friend was listening on the radio, called his supervisor (coordinator for both conferences), and was inserted into the game for the 2nd half.

Next season he received about 15-20 games D1 games from that supervisor including a nationally televised ESPN game.
must have been in CA
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Good for you JAR!

For you young officials - Bring your bag with you to games you watch if you can, as ya never know!
Not gonna take a bag, that's like begging. The visiting scorekeeper asked after we were done, "What do you do, take your uniform everywhere you go?"
I pointed, "No, I live about a mile that way, a fact that did not really need to be broadcast to everyone who didn't already know it beforehand."

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 21, 2013, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We had an official in our Association bring his stuff to a playoff game a few years back and get to suit-up as the assigned official was very late!
We usually have an alternate official assigned to our playoff games around these parts, even though all H.S. games are 3-Whistle crew...we always had an alternate official assigned when we did 2-Whistle some years back.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Jan 21, 2013, 07:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Good for you JAR!

We had an official in our Association bring his stuff to a playoff game a few years back and get to suit-up as the assigned official was very late. Just shows to go you! Be ready!
And do not leave early. A few seasons back, one of the varsity guys took ill at HT & I was asked to finish for him. My partner was long gone. Got an extra 4 minutes in as well.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2013, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Not gonna take a bag, that's like begging.
Nah, not at all. You're not asking but you're ready if asked.

Our supervisor requests that we always have a bag in the car. I've picked up two last minute assignments this year, that I would not have gotten, had I not been equipped when he called.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 21, 2013, 08:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Nah, not at all. You're not asking but you're ready if asked.

Our supervisor requests that we always have a bag in the car. I've picked up two last minute assignments this year, that I would not have gotten, had I not been equipped when he called.
Agreed. I'm not taking it in with me, but it's in the car.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2013, 08:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Agreed. I'm not taking it in with me, but it's in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Not gonna take a bag, that's like begging.
Sheesh - of course when I said "bring his stuff to a playoff game" - I meant in the car!
Old Mon Jan 21, 2013, 10:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Sheesh - of course when I said "bring his stuff to a playoff game" - I meant in the car!
Most everyone knew what you meant.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:42am
Official Forum Member

Showed up to watch my daughter cheerlead for local junior high. 2nd official had not shown. AD comes up to me and asks if I could ref. I said I need 10 min. as my stuff was in the car (from previous day). He said that was fine and started writing up contract. 2nd official showed up with 1:00 minute on pregame clock. I was ready but ended up not being needed.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

No alternates in ACC reg season?

Looks like a sub was needed in Blacksburg VA Saturday when VTech played Wake Forest. Roger Ayers and Bryan Kersey hadda two man it the 2nd half after Jamie Luckee couldn't continue with some sort of leg problem. From what I saw they did a very good job in a close game.