The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Customer Service ??????

Last year at all of my hs school meetings, I kept hearing the term "customer service". However on the small college circuit, I never heard the term once.
Now look I am all for being on time, contacting my partner 48 hrs prior, etc,etc, but on many occasions I got the impression from assigners / board
presidents that we were to cater to coaches.

On the college level I never heard such absurdities. I think the hs groups are
so worried about keeping games that they pander to the coachers and administration by asking who the coaches want in the postseason and other things.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this topic...........

Last edited by Multiple Sports; Tue May 03, 2011 at 12:31pm.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 12:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have heard this comment before. I am not sure I agree with it. I think first and foremost we are there for the game, not the coaches and players per say. And whether we like it or not our jobs are often in conflict with what coaches want to do anyway. I do agree that many times assignors and associations I have heard use this are a little worried what the coaches think or how their relationship with the coaches affect their jobs.

Peace
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have heard this comment before. I am not sure I agree with it. I think first and foremost we are there for the game, not the coaches and players per say. And whether we like it or not our jobs are often in conflict with what coaches want to do anyway. I do agree that many times assignors and associations I have heard use this are a little worried what the coaches think or how their relationship with the coaches affect their jobs.

Peace
We worry too much about this garbage. Get your plays right and be professional and you will move up. Officials who try to buddy up with coaches bury themselves.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

If you heard it at several meetings there may be something else going on... perhaps something political or behind the scenes. Perhaps there's another association trying to take your area's games. Perhaps the AD's met with your officiating leaders and complained - maybe not about during-game officiating, but about pre-game attitudes or somesuch. I think it's likely there's more to this than just the surface.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sounds to me like a new-fangled term for "be approachable." It's not always true, but if the complaint is widespread enough that your associations are addressing it in meetings, I would guess the coaches are just *****ing that the officials aren't listening to their complaints during the game and the balance of power in your area favors the coaches.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sounds to me like a new-fangled term for "be approachable."
That's a charitable interpretation. The problem with treating our avocation in terms of "customer service" is that the customer is always right.

Field #7,353 where the "business model" does not apply.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 03:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Our association approaches it this way - we provide a service to the schools. We need to be accommodating to the schools in certain areas: Be on time, be prepared, be professional, provide a quality product. If we don't do those things, they will find officials somewhere else. We do not "schmooze" with coaches, and we apply the rules as written...but we do need to be responsive to the schools needs.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Our association approaches it this way - we provide a service to the schools. We need to be accommodating to the schools in certain areas: Be on time, be prepared, be professional, provide a quality product. If we don't do those things, they will find officials somewhere else. We do not "schmooze" with coaches, and we apply the rules as written...but we do need to be responsive to the schools needs.
You have just provided a great definition of professionalism.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 07:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
You have just provided a great definition of professionalism.
Yep, and that's what our association stresses; professionalism. Regardless of what you do 9-5, being an official is being a professional. Here, that means showing up in business casual attire (rather than jeans or sweats, although jeans are ok on weekends), showing up on time, treating the school staff with respect, leaving the changing room as clean or cleaner than we found it, and conducting ourselves as adults on the court.

But "customer service" stinks of undue deference to coaches.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 07:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Yep, and that's what our association stresses; professionalism. Regardless of what you do 9-5, being an official is being a professional. Here, that means showing up in business casual attire (rather than jeans or sweats, although jeans are ok on weekends), showing up on time, treating the school staff with respect, leaving the changing room as clean or cleaner than we found it, and conducting ourselves as adults on the court.

But "customer service" stinks of undue deference to coaches.
I have a friend who got to work the state baseball tournament last year. Great umpire, but he decided to take it a step farther by calling/contacting the coaches after every ballgame and asking them to let him know how he could improve and that he was really interested in their opinions. He's admitted to me that he's just "playing the system" since it appears that coaches ratings is the main (if not the only) criteria in deciding who gets to work deep in the playoffs. And his plan worked very well -- his ratings were through the roof.

I'd rather stay home than call or email a coach after a game.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I have a friend who got to work the state baseball tournament last year. Great umpire, but he decided to take it a step farther by calling/contacting the coaches after every ballgame and asking them to let him know how he could improve and that he was really interested in their opinions. He's admitted to me that he's just "playing the system" since it appears that coaches ratings is the main (if not the only) criteria in deciding who gets to work deep in the playoffs. And his plan worked very well -- his ratings were through the roof.
He got the State game before/after implementing his plan?

Quote:
+1

Same here, Im a firm believer of letting your game speak for itself & allowing the chips to fall where they may!
Besides, 80% of "coaches" dont know the rules & are biased, which makes them IMO, unqualified to perform an honest critique of our overall body of work. IJS!
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 09:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
He got the State game before/after implementing his plan?

+1

Same here, Im a firm believer of letting your game speak for itself & allowing the chips to fall where they may!
Besides, 80% of "coaches" dont know the rules & are biased, which makes them IMO, unqualified to perform an honest critique of our overall body of work. IJS!
Correction, 80% don't know the rules & 100% are biased.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

You sir, are absolutely right... I stand corrected!
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 09:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Sounds like a version of "smile and nod." Well played by him, it seems.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sounds like a version of "smile and nod." Well played by him, it seems.
Game, set, match! *if advancing in that manner is acceptable to the individual*

Personally, I choose not to seek but I will "smile & nod" when feedback is offered.