The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:27am
Often wrong never n doubt

Where to stand during timeout?

There is a full timeout which my partner reports. This is two man so he stands on the center circle farthest from the table. When we return we will be shooting freethrows. Where do I stand with the ball? I have been standing on the freethrow line but have no idea if that is correct. I did not see anything in the manual on this. Perhaps a when in Rome concept?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
There is a full timeout which my partner reports. This is two man so he stands on the center circle farthest from the table. When we return we will be shooting freethrows. Where do I stand with the ball? I have been standing on the freethrow line but have no idea if that is correct. I did not see anything in the manual on this. Perhaps a when in Rome concept?
I'm not entirely sure what the FED manual says, but here we would stand with the ball at the FT line at the back side of the lane opposite the table, if that makes sense. If it were a 30-second timeout we stand at the side of the lane at the FT line nearest the table.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:31am
NFHS Official

I stand either there or on the endline.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
The basketball officials manual for the NFHS, 2.4.4.C.6 indicates where to stand, and indicates as zm1283 indicates.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

And who stands at the FT line doesn't depend on who reports it but who will be the new lead after the timeout...it is the official who will be administering the FTs. That may or may not be the official who called/reported the timeout. If the trail calls a foul which leads to shots and a timeout is called, the trail would report then go the FT line to become the new lead while the old lead would go the circle.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And who stands at the FT line doesn't depend on who reports it but who will be the new lead after the timeout...it is the official who will be administering the FTs. That may or may not be the official who called/reported the timeout. If the trail calls a foul which leads to shots and a timeout is called, the trail would report then go the FT line to become the new lead while the old lead would go the circle.
Not true under NFHS mechanics. The calling official is always the trail, tableside.

I believe you don't work those mechanics in OR, right?

(I'm just saying this may not be the best example.)

The general point is that when a timeout is called, the officials should end up back in the spots they would've been in absent the timeout. That means that in 2-person, I'll frequently report the timeout and then go to the throw-in spot since that's where I belonged in the first place.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Mechanics ...

IAABO: 30 second timeout, elbow closest to table; 60 second time out, elbow farthest from the table.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Not true under NFHS mechanics. The calling official is always the trail, tableside.

I believe you don't work those mechanics in OR, right?

(I'm just saying this may not be the best example.)

The general point is that when a timeout is called, the officials should end up back in the spots they would've been in absent the timeout. That means that in 2-person, I'll frequently report the timeout and then go to the throw-in spot since that's where I belonged in the first place.
You are correct about the post-foul situation as far as who becomes trail and who becomes lead. But, the point about who goes to the FT remains...it is the person who will be administering the FT regardless of who calls and reports the timeout.