The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 04:45pm
We don't rent pigs

If everybody is on the same page, without a doubt the flex (or whatever else it is called) is a superior system. But if you have a bunch of guys who have called only 2 man, some for over 30 years, and now have just a game or two a year 3 man, sometimes less is more. Nothing much worse than being in the lead, crossing over, and neither partner shows any sign of moving. Unless it's being the T, looking over, and the C is closer to the division line than you are.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 05:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The one that y'all laugh about and roll your eyes, with the "dead C."

Basically, C is always opposite the table. There is no rotation.
I thought what we laughed at was the 2 person mechanics where the T and the L could be under the basket and at the center circle? Then again I do not remember, but I just remember someone from the NF saying something about some weird mechanic that no one in the country did but in that one state.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 05:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
If everybody is on the same page, without a doubt the flex (or whatever else it is called) is a superior system. But if you have a bunch of guys who have called only 2 man, some for over 30 years, and now have just a game or two a year 3 man, sometimes less is more. Nothing much worse than being in the lead, crossing over, and neither partner shows any sign of moving. Unless it's being the T, looking over, and the C is closer to the division line than you are.
I think 3-man with no movement is worse than 2-man. You probably end up with 3 guys standing in quicksand and nobody moving to get better angles.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 05:32pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think 3-man with no movement is worse than 2-man. You probably end up with 3 guys standing in quicksand and nobody moving to get better angles.
There's a difference in no movement and no rotation. I was assuming each guy would still move within his designated area to get the best angle.

Every system has problems. In the old system some guys thought the T had nothing to do once the ball crossed into the frontcourt.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 05:37pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
If everybody is on the same page, without a doubt the flex (or whatever else it is called) is a superior system. But if you have a bunch of guys who have called only 2 man, some for over 30 years, and now have just a game or two a year 3 man, sometimes less is more
Well, of course 3-man is better than two, if that's part of the issue. Six eyes watching the ball are always better than just four.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 05:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
There's a difference in no movement and no rotation. I was assuming each guy would still move within his designated area to get the best angle.

Every system has problems. In the old system some guys thought the T had nothing to do once the ball crossed into the frontcourt.
I was making the leap that a lot of officials probably didn't move since they knew they weren't rotating across. Clearly that wasn't the case for all officials, but I've seen it even in systems where officials were supposed to rotate. They'd just say something in the pregame like "I don't like rotating too much" and that was code for "I don't rotate, ever."
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 06:00pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I've seen it even in systems where officials were supposed to rotate. They'd just say something in the pregame like "I don't like rotating too much" and that was code for "I don't rotate, ever."
True, and if they're not gonna rotate, ever, I'd rather they'd tell me in advance than just not do it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 06:04pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Well, of course 3-man is better than two, if that's part of the issue. Six eyes watching the ball are always better than just four.

Please don't joke about this. I had a partner last week who called a travel from L across the court six feet in front of the C at the free throw line extended.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Got it thanks!

A few good replies will be shared with my crew tomorrow night during my pregame. Had a young gun ask me. Sat. pm game if we're gonna " flex" . I simply said " Only iif we have to when ball is strong " See I just returned Hawaii to ref after a 5 yr abscence in Guam and Texas. Its good to be home.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 08:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

What makes you assume that? I see officials all the time in camps not move a single bit. And if they know they are not moving, then I would think more would do just that and stay completely still.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 08:14pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What makes you assume that? I see officials all the time in camps not move a single bit. And if they know they are not moving, then I would think more would do just that and stay completely still.

Peace
Are you saying it's okay to stay completely still?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 08:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Are you saying it's okay to stay completely still?
No. Just saying you do not have to advocate this and still see people doing just that while they officiate in 3 or 2 Person for that matter.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:57pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No. Just saying you do not have to advocate this?
Do not have to advocate what? I didn't know I was advocating anything. I see the need to move in any system.

What are you saying?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upanddown View Post
A few good replies will be shared with my crew tomorrow night during my pregame. Had a young gun ask me. Sat. pm game if we're gonna " flex" . I simply said " Only iif we have to when ball is strong " See I just returned Hawaii to ref after a 5 yr abscence in Guam and Texas. Its good to be home.
That's not the right answer, IMO. The right time to rotate is when you have a better look from doing so. Going ballside when the C is on ball is something L's should do as a matter of course (with some exceptions) unless there's a particularly hot competitive matchup opposite the ball that requires that you stay put.

When all three of the officials aren't hesitant when it comes to rotating and moving to get the best looks -- that's when 3-person officiating is like poetry in motion.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have never seen 3 man with no rotations, I have seen few rotations, but never none.

We use 3 man for varsity and I like it. C has to work hard to catch off ball stuff, and it is rare, but sometimes it is there.

I believe the screens are better and there are fewer 3 second calls BECAUSE of 3 men crews.

BTW, we call it "PULLING" the lead when C initiates the switch.

Last edited by Terrapins Fan; Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 11:31pm.