The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 man mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93513-3-man-mechanics.html)

upanddown Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:12am

3 man mechanics

What is meant by "flex" in 3 man mechanics. Is this reference to rotating when a certain action takes place or what?

JRutledge Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:17am

I am not sure, but people used to use that term to signify a rotation, but that was awhile ago when I heard that kind of usage to describe a rotation.

Peace

just another ref Mon Jan 14, 2013 03:01am

It may mean other things, but this is what I learned. In the 3 man we were first taught, there was no rotation. The C was always opposite the table. In what I know as the flex, the lead moves across the lane, and the C and T adjust accordingly.

Rich Mon Jan 14, 2013 07:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 872013)
It may mean other things, but this is what I learned. In the 3 man we were first taught, there was no rotation. The C was always opposite the table. In what I know as the flex, the lead moves across the lane, and the C and T adjust accordingly.

That's a good memory -- that must've been, what, 20 years ago? :D

JRutledge Mon Jan 14, 2013 09:43am

Guys, be very careful here. You cannot be smug at all. Someone might be offended because you have not heard the term in a very long time. :D

Peace

rekent Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 872021)
That's a good memory -- that must've been, what, 20 years ago? :D

Same terminology I was taught 4 years ago.

Rich Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 872041)
Same terminology I was taught 4 years ago.

I was making a little joke about Louisiana 3-man mechanics which, until very recently, was firmly rooted in the mid-1990s. I figured it would go over a few heads.

BillyMac Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:39am

That's Why It's Called The Land Of Steady Habits ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 872042)
I was making a little joke about Louisiana 3-man mechanics which, until very recently, was firmly rooted in the mid-1990s.

Better than Connecticut. Our present two person mechanics are firmly rooted in the mid-1890's. And that's no joke.

rockyroad Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:43am

I have always heard the term flex used to describe those situations where the C forces the rotation, rather than rotation being initiated by the L. You know, the high trap on C's sideline and C has to go up and take that, so the L rotates over.

JRutledge Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:47am

Maybe the person should have asked, "What do you mean by flexing?"

That might have helped them know what this person was talking about. And it would have made sure that either he/she know to not flex or say, "Why would we not flex?"

Problem solved instead of getting upset by the answers you get here on this board where people have to read the mind of a partner we have never met (yes there is an inside joke here). ;)

Peace

just another ref Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:56pm

I'm still making up my own mind about this. I'm not sure that for those of us who do 90%+ 2 man, that when we do the occasional 3 man, the old system may be a better system.

The more you do, the more ways you have to screw it up.

JRutledge Mon Jan 14, 2013 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 872116)
I'm still making up my own mind about this. I'm not sure that for those of us who do 90%+ 2 man, that when we do the occasional 3 man, the old system may be a better system.

The more you do, the more ways you have to screw it up.

Forgive me but what is the "old way?"

Peace

just another ref Mon Jan 14, 2013 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 872136)
Forgive me but what is the "old way?"

Peace

The one that y'all laugh about and roll your eyes, with the "dead C."

Basically, C is always opposite the table. There is no rotation.

Raymond Mon Jan 14, 2013 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 872137)
The one that y'all laugh about and roll your eyes, with the "dead C."

Basically, C is always opposite the table. There is no rotation.

Didn't the NBA used to do it that way? I could swear I've seen old broadcasts where the C is always opposite table. If the Lead or Trail (backcourt) comes over during a throw-in they immediately go back tableside.

tomegun Mon Jan 14, 2013 04:24pm

The great state of Mississippi used this old system as recently as the 2006-07 season. When I went to the first meeting where we were on the court I was blown away by this. Fortunately, they went to the normal 3-man rotation the next season along with a raise up to $75...for two games. Like I said, the great state of Mississippi.