The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

wrongful 5 fouls

Girls' JV. I called and reported a foul. Official scorekeeper tells me she has 5 fouls. I tell the coach, he replaces her, rest of the third quarter played out. Prior to starting the fourth, table calls me over to say that there was a discrepancy in the book and the girl only had 4 fouls.

What now? Never had that happened before.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

There's nothing more to do. Player has four fouls instead of five.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I figured. I told both coaches that the girl has only four fouls and she can play.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Only One Way To Correct This Error ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 06:37pm.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 07:34pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
That's what I figured. I told both coaches that the girl has only four fouls and she can play.

How did you come to this conclusion? Did you have the Home (Official) Scorer compare her book with the Visitor's Scorebook?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Girls' JV. I called and reported a foul. Official scorekeeper tells me she has 5 fouls. I tell the coach, he replaces her, rest of the third quarter played out. Prior to starting the fourth, table calls me over to say that there was a discrepancy in the book and the girl only had 4 fouls.

What now? Never had that happened before.
You and your partners have to get together and figure out what would have happened if she hadn't been removed. Tell the table what the new score is and how many fouls to remove or add to each player. Be sure to consider the possibility that a delay of game warning might have been given if you hadn't experienced this problem. Also, make sure that you properly charge or return any timeouts that would or would not have been taken if you'd not directed the coach to remove the player. Then bring the coaches together and let them know who you determined would have fouled out or has become eligible again through your changes. :eek
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
You and your partners have to get together and figure out what would have happened if she hadn't been removed. Tell the table what the new score is and how many fouls to remove or add to each player. Be sure to consider the possibility that a delay of game warning might have been given if you hadn't experienced this problem. Also, make sure that you properly charge or return any timeouts that would or would not have been taken if you'd not directed the coach to remove the player. Then bring the coaches together and let them know who you determined would have fouled out or has become eligible again through your changes. :eek
I like where you are going with this - after all we do control the game. An easier way to accomplish the same result is with a simple reset of the game back to the time of the foul. Put the third quarter time and score on the clock, cancel all the action between said foul and the start of the 4th qtr and away you go!
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

If there truly was a mistake and you find it out, correct the mistake and move on. This really is not that hard to do. Let the player play if it is clear this was a mistake and continue the game. Then if the coach has anything to say, I would say, "Well you should be keeping track and making us aware if there was a discrepancy."

Otherwise you are at the mercy of the scorekeeper and the teams to point out something is wrong. Otherwise you assume and safe to do so that everything is correct.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
I like where you are going with this - after all we do control the game. An easier way to accomplish the same result is with a simple reset of the game back to the time of the foul. Put the third quarter time and score on the clock, cancel all the action between said foul and the start of the 4th qtr and away you go!
Or, just enter all the information in the book when you check it >10 minutes prior to the game, collect your check, blow your whistle and announce "ball game" and go home.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Or, just enter all the information in the book when you check it >10 minutes prior to the game, collect your check, blow your whistle and announce "ball game" and go home.
I have to bring a whistle?
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Telecommuting ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I have to bring a whistle?
Can't we just "call it in"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

On the first foul, from the stands, you will hear "s/he didn't foul".
On the second foul, from the stands, you will hear "that's two bad calls ref:.
On the third foul, from the stands, you will hear "watch it she has three because of you ref"
On the fourth foul, you will hear "s/he never fouls out, this is your fault ref".
On the fifth foul, you will should hear "well that's just great, you fouled him/her out ... you happy now ref? You're costing him/her a full boat scholarship to Duke/UConn/Tenn."

As you can see, if you're in tune with what's going on in the stands you will never miss the 5th foul and this simply won't be an issue.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 05:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Can't we just "call it in"?
I've gone on the court without a whistle.

I've gone to start a second half of football without a flag, beanbag, and whistle (I took them off in the bathroom and promptly forgot them). Since I'm the white hat on the crew, it's pretty hard to blow the ready for play on the opening kickoff without a whistle.

Thankfully, the crew keeps spares in a bag we store in/behind a yard maker.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 06:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Color Me Embarrassed ...

Quote:
Once for me. And, of course, the dressing room was locked, And, of course, it took a few minutes to find the site manager to unlock the dressing room. And, of course, the fans cheered when I finally showed up with a whistle to start the game.

Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And that is why I carry an extra one in my jacket pocket. I put it there and leave it there. If I ever forget, I have a backup.

I don't take my whistle off at halftime but if I ever did, that might be the time I'd find myself without one.