The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   wrongful 5 fouls (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93496-wrongful-5-fouls.html)

representing Sat Jan 12, 2013 02:19pm

wrongful 5 fouls

Girls' JV. I called and reported a foul. Official scorekeeper tells me she has 5 fouls. I tell the coach, he replaces her, rest of the third quarter played out. Prior to starting the fourth, table calls me over to say that there was a discrepancy in the book and the girl only had 4 fouls.

What now? Never had that happened before.

APG Sat Jan 12, 2013 02:25pm

There's nothing more to do. Player has four fouls instead of five.

representing Sat Jan 12, 2013 02:28pm

That's what I figured. I told both coaches that the girl has only four fouls and she can play.

BillyMac Sat Jan 12, 2013 06:34pm

Only One Way To Correct This Error ...

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47403...92693&pid=15.1

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 13, 2013 07:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 871817)
That's what I figured. I told both coaches that the girl has only four fouls and she can play.

How did you come to this conclusion? Did you have the Home (Official) Scorer compare her book with the Visitor's Scorebook?

MTD, Sr.

youngump Sun Jan 13, 2013 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 871814)
Girls' JV. I called and reported a foul. Official scorekeeper tells me she has 5 fouls. I tell the coach, he replaces her, rest of the third quarter played out. Prior to starting the fourth, table calls me over to say that there was a discrepancy in the book and the girl only had 4 fouls.

What now? Never had that happened before.

You and your partners have to get together and figure out what would have happened if she hadn't been removed. Tell the table what the new score is and how many fouls to remove or add to each player. Be sure to consider the possibility that a delay of game warning might have been given if you hadn't experienced this problem. Also, make sure that you properly charge or return any timeouts that would or would not have been taken if you'd not directed the coach to remove the player. Then bring the coaches together and let them know who you determined would have fouled out or has become eligible again through your changes. :D:eek

Scuba_ref Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 871990)
You and your partners have to get together and figure out what would have happened if she hadn't been removed. Tell the table what the new score is and how many fouls to remove or add to each player. Be sure to consider the possibility that a delay of game warning might have been given if you hadn't experienced this problem. Also, make sure that you properly charge or return any timeouts that would or would not have been taken if you'd not directed the coach to remove the player. Then bring the coaches together and let them know who you determined would have fouled out or has become eligible again through your changes. :D:eek

I like where you are going with this - after all we do control the game. An easier way to accomplish the same result is with a simple reset of the game back to the time of the foul. Put the third quarter time and score on the clock, cancel all the action between said foul and the start of the 4th qtr and away you go!:p

JRutledge Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:12pm

If there truly was a mistake and you find it out, correct the mistake and move on. This really is not that hard to do. Let the player play if it is clear this was a mistake and continue the game. Then if the coach has anything to say, I would say, "Well you should be keeping track and making us aware if there was a discrepancy."

Otherwise you are at the mercy of the scorekeeper and the teams to point out something is wrong. Otherwise you assume and safe to do so that everything is correct.

Peace

bob jenkins Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_ref (Post 872074)
I like where you are going with this - after all we do control the game. An easier way to accomplish the same result is with a simple reset of the game back to the time of the foul. Put the third quarter time and score on the clock, cancel all the action between said foul and the start of the 4th qtr and away you go!:p

Or, just enter all the information in the book when you check it >10 minutes prior to the game, collect your check, blow your whistle and announce "ball game" and go home.

Rich Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 872082)
Or, just enter all the information in the book when you check it >10 minutes prior to the game, collect your check, blow your whistle and announce "ball game" and go home.

I have to bring a whistle?

BillyMac Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:23pm

Telecommuting ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 872082)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 872089)
I have to bring a whistle?

Can't we just "call it in"?

ref3808 Mon Jan 14, 2013 04:37pm

On the first foul, from the stands, you will hear "s/he didn't foul".:confused:
On the second foul, from the stands, you will hear "that's two bad calls ref:.:eek:
On the third foul, from the stands, you will hear "watch it she has three because of you ref":mad:
On the fourth foul, you will hear "s/he never fouls out, this is your fault ref".:eek::mad:
On the fifth foul, you will should hear "well that's just great, you fouled him/her out ... you happy now ref? You're costing him/her a full boat scholarship to Duke/UConn/Tenn."

As you can see, if you're in tune with what's going on in the stands you will never miss the 5th foul and this simply won't be an issue.

Rich Mon Jan 14, 2013 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 872094)
Can't we just "call it in"?

I've gone on the court without a whistle.

I've gone to start a second half of football without a flag, beanbag, and whistle (I took them off in the bathroom and promptly forgot them). Since I'm the white hat on the crew, it's pretty hard to blow the ready for play on the opening kickoff without a whistle.

Thankfully, the crew keeps spares in a bag we store in/behind a yard maker.

BillyMac Mon Jan 14, 2013 06:35pm

Color Me Embarrassed ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 872193)

Once for me. And, of course, the dressing room was locked, And, of course, it took a few minutes to find the site manager to unlock the dressing room. And, of course, the fans cheered when I finally showed up with a whistle to start the game.

Camron Rust Mon Jan 14, 2013 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 872193)

And that is why I carry an extra one in my jacket pocket. I put it there and leave it there. If I ever forget, I have a backup.

I don't take my whistle off at halftime but if I ever did, that might be the time I'd find myself without one.