The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You could make that same case in most situations. I know even in small college gyms those horns are not that loud.

I also have no problem with these being not being reviewable because you could do that every single time up the court. Sometimes we need to just officiate and video is not going to solve everything. I do not even see anything that makes me feel this was a slam dunk either way.

Peace
How often do we have close shot clock violations in a typical college game? I only work a handful of college games a season, but we have one or two, at most. It's not a bad idea to try to review this as the video is available.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
How often do we have close shot clock violations in a typical college game? I only work a handful of college games a season, but we have one or two, at most. It's not a bad idea to try to review this as the video is available.
If you made the rule changed you would have a request for a review every single possession this was an issue or it was close. Just like you would they go overboard for reviews for elbows now. And all you hear is the media complain about how many times those are reviewed. You really want to add one of the more common situations to be reviewed? Just like there are limits on what is reviewed in football, this is just silly to have reviews for everything like this.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:33am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
I do not even see anything that makes me feel this was a slam dunk either way.
Even after watching the tape? I'd bet my schedule this is graded an IC. And correctly so.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You could make that same case in most situations. I know even in small college gyms those horns are not that loud.

I also have no problem with these being not being reviewable because you could do that every single time up the court. Sometimes we need to just officiate and video is not going to solve everything. I do not even see anything that makes me feel this was a slam dunk either way.

Peace
Under NBA rules, the officials are allowed to review whether or not a shot clock violation has occurred, and this situation doesn't come up too often, so I don't believe it would happen every single time up the court.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 04:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Under NBA rules, the officials are allowed to review whether or not a shot clock violation has occurred, and this situation doesn't come up too often, so I don't believe it would happen every single time up the court.
They review a lot more in the NCAA level than they do in the NBA as far as I can tell. Every elbow sitaution or flagrant situation they review them. I think all this would happen more with more official and more conference supervisors and different philsophies out there. The NBA staff is very small in comparison so they are on more on one page. And the NBA can control how their games are broadcast on TV where NCAA will have all kinds of standards. We already have the Pac 12 cannot use HD video courtside. I think that is going to be all over the place if you allow that to be reviewed.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They review a lot more in the NCAA level than they do in the NBA as far as I can tell. Every elbow sitaution or flagrant situation they review them. I think all this would happen more with more official and more conference supervisors and different philsophies out there. The NBA staff is very small in comparison so they are on more on one page. And the NBA can control how their games are broadcast on TV where NCAA will have all kinds of standards. We already have the Pac 12 cannot use HD video courtside. I think that is going to be all over the place if you allow that to be reviewed.

Peace
I'd say the NBA has more situations that are reviewable...but some of those are only in effect in the final two minutes of regulation and all of OT (OOB calls, when officials call goaltending, block/charge plays involving the RA, whether or not a ball struck the rim meaning the shot clock should be reset). The biggest difference in NCAA replay rules and NBA replay rules is that the NBA reviews some of its plays during mandatory timeouts while NCAA will stop play instantly and review the play as it's tied to its correctable errors timeframe (and on a side note, the NBA's correctable errors procedure means they have a longer time frame to correct an error). The NBA method lends itself to better to the flow of the game.

I just don't think that this situation comes up often enough to where it's be an issue. 90+ percent of tries come easily before or after the expiration of the shot clock and that 10 percent of the other tries wouldn't be enough, IMO, to where it'd be an issue.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 04:34am.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:15am
Do not give a damn!!

All I am saying is you cannot compare every situation to the NBA. And the NBA does not review the kinds of things that the NCAA does as well. They are too much apples and oranges in many situations and this is one of them.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Looks like to me the clock showed "0" but the horn goes off a second later, which would mean to me that since the shot clock doesn't show tenths of a second, it's showing zero, but you still have 0.9 0.8 ...blah blah....until you actually get to 0.0 and have the horn. So even though the big red 0 was on the board i don't think you have a violation until you get the horn, which then the ball was out of his hands. Just my thoughts.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Even after watching the tape? I'd bet my schedule this is graded an IC. And correctly so.
So? Just becasue it's wrong doesn't mean it should be reviewable. There a probably a dozen or more "IC"s in a game -- the only difference is that at the end of a game a team doesn't have a chance to "recover" from it. But, they've had plenty of time to make enough plays so it doesn't matter. If they don't do either, that's the breaks.

I'm with Jeff that there are too many reviews.

But, I'd expect there to be more.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

One thing is clear

Knight is sure in the dark. Wonder if Teddy V has sent him a nice tweet
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

This is not fair to the officials. You have a situation that is not reviewable so the officials have to use their ears to judge. He appears to release the shot just before the horn which is the only way the officials can judge. Then the rest of the world gets to criticize the officials but not taking into account the fact that the horn and the shot clock are not synchronized. In this world of HD/multiple replays ....., give the officials the tools to make the proper decision.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

what about the C

Hey Guys,

First post, so go easy.

Anybody think the center rotates out of this play? Maybe he thought the lead was going to rotate, but the C goes top side and by the end of the play they've got to T's. Not sure if this contributes to the "no call incorrect", but I don't think it helps. Thoughts?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:56am
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Anyone else think this is possibly a result of Vandy being different with the location of their shot clocks?
Agree with this. Got to be hard to see that from floor level with all the traffic down there.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STFD View Post
Hey Guys,

First post, so go easy.

Anybody think the center rotates out of this play? Maybe he thought the lead was going to rotate, but the C goes top side and by the end of the play they've got to T's. Not sure if this contributes to the "no call incorrect", but I don't think it helps. Thoughts?
I go back to my earlier statement. This is NOT an incorrect call if you only use the audio.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 10:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Oddly enough, I don't speakers atm. So I can't watch the Deadspin account that Rich mentioned earlier.

BUT... if it's true that the SC reads 0 and the horn hasn't gone off, then it's automatically a CC.