The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Traveling question

I had a game last night where I had an official tell me you get 2 and a half steps before it is a travel. I know as a coach I make mistakes with rules all the time but I have never heard of 2 and a half steps for a travel before. Have I just been misunderstanding the rules all these years or did he make a mistake?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 06:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

The traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted. On a pass or a shot, the pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. A player may slide on the floor while trying to secure a loose ball until that player’s momentum stops. At that point that player cannot attempt to get up or rollover. A player securing a ball while on the floor cannot attempt to stand up unless that player starts a dribble. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout. If the player is flat on his or her back, that player may sit up without violating.

A player must be holding the ball (with one very rare exception) in order to travel. A player can't travel while dribbling, while tapping the ball, while fumbling it, or while trying to recover a loose ball. During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be an illegal dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble.

The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point. When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter loses control of the ball because of the block, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. If, in this situation, the defender simply touches the ball, and the airborne shooter returns to the floor holding the ball, it’s a traveling violation. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor.

Palming or carrying is when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 06:47pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
I had a game last night where I had an official tell me you get 2 and a half steps before it is a travel. I know as a coach I make mistakes with rules all the time but I have never heard of 2 and a half steps for a travel before. Have I just been misunderstanding the rules all these years or did he make a mistake?
He made a mistake.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is what he's saying:

If you catch the ball with your right foot on the floor (1 step), step with you left foot (2 steps), lift your right foot (half step) and release the ball, you have 2 1/2 steps.

While my description above is legal, there are other instances where it would not be legal. For example, if both feet on on the floor and you step once with each foot (2 steps), that's traveling.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
This is what he's saying:

If you catch the ball with your right foot on the floor (1 step), step with you left foot (2 steps), lift your right foot (half step) and release the ball, you have 2 1/2 steps.

While my description above is legal, there are other instances where it would not be legal. For example, if both feet on on the floor and you step once with each foot (2 steps), that's traveling.
Can you help me figure out how you count a [first] step with the right when it's already on the floor when the ball is gathered? I've always considered the first step to be the step with the left.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Can you help me figure out how you count a [first] step with the right when it's already on the floor when the ball is gathered? I've always considered the first step to be the step with the left.
It makes no difference, you can describe it either way (and it's still a lousy cliche'). Catches the ball with both feet off the floor, right, left, lifts the right, layup. Or the pivot already on the floor. Either is legal.

Had you continued with your description, 2 1/2 steps would not have been legal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
What age group?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you want to not count the foot on the floor, the same though process would work but they'd only get 1 1/2...2 would be a travel.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 09:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If you want to not count the foot on the floor, the same though process would work but they'd only get 1 1/2...2 would be a travel.
Yes, I'm aware. It was just odd to me to hear it explained that way. Around these parts, it's explained the 1.5 way.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Quote:
Thank you! I was confused too, but didn't have the balls to ask!
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:31pm
We don't rent pigs

Step is not defined, and apparently means different things to different people. But we don't have to know what a step is as long as we know what a pivot foot is.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 07:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sammy, A Little Traveling Music Please ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
But we don't have to know what a step is as long as we know what a pivot foot is.
Agree. Identifying the pivot foot, and knowing it's limits, that's the key to correctly calling a travel violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

The age group was a freshman game, and thanks to everyone for clearing it up for me. I had always just been told a hard and fast 2 steps rule so hearing 2 and a half really confused me.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Step is not defined, and apparently means different things to different people. But we don't have to know what a step is as long as we know what a pivot foot is.
Absolutely. And what is a half step anyway?

Peace
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:45pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Absolutely. And what is a half step anyway?
+1

Even the "HE GETS TWO STEPS!!!" people might have trouble with that one.

Lonesome Dove