The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Traveling question

A player receives a pass with both feet on the floor. Both feet remain on the floor until he jumps to pass the ball. While in mid-air, he changes his mind and drops the ball in front of him. After landing, he continues the dribble with one hand. Legal or not? I always thought this was illegal, but from some recent posts, I have learned that it is not a travel to pick up your pivot foot, but only to come back down with it. I now say legal. Am I right?
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRef
A player receives a pass with both feet on the floor. Both feet remain on the floor until he jumps to pass the ball. While in mid-air, he changes his mind and drops the ball in front of him. After landing, he continues the dribble with one hand. Legal or not? I always thought this was illegal, but from some recent posts, I have learned that it is not a travel to pick up your pivot foot, but only to come back down with it. I now say legal. Am I right?
It is illegal because once the pivot foot has been raised, a player may only pass or shoot. He cannot begin a dribble at this point; that is a travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RULEBOOK
Rule 4-44-2c: The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:41pm
(Something hilarious)

Wait - but isn't that only if the player caught the ball while moving? In the OP, the player was standing still with both feet on the floor when the ball was caught. Couldn't they doo whatever they want at that point? (I.E. either foot can be a pivot; begin a dribble; pass; try?) I guess what I'm saying is, doesn't the pivot have to be established before a violation of 4-44-3c can occur? Or am I off, as usual?

Edited to include: Nevermind. Thought it through. I was confused. In this situation, both feet are acting as a pivot, since both are leaving the ground simultaneously, and the ball must be released for a dribble before that happens. Got it.

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Thu Dec 21, 2006 at 01:44pm.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Case play 4.44.3b
A1 receives the ball with both feet off the floor and he/she lands simultaneously on both feet without establishing a pivot foot. A1 then jumps off both feet in an attempt to try for goal, but realizing the shot may be blocked, A1 drops the ball to the floor and dribbles. Ruling: A1 has traveled as one foot must be considered to be the pivot and must be on the floor when the ball is released to start a dribble. The fact that no pivot foot had been established does not alter this ruling.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:55pm
(Something hilarious)

Thumbs up

Thank you.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RULEBOOK
Rule 4-44-2c: The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.
Good to see the rulebook start to post here. This should eliminate a lot of questions when we can't agree what the rulebook meant - we'll just ask him. Er, I mean, her. Who ever. Whom ever.

Never mind.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 02:46pm
(Something hilarious)

That's good stuff - I can't believe I glanced over that. Can I have RuleBook as my partner tonight?
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
That's good stuff - I can't believe I glanced over that. Can I have RuleBook as my partner tonight?
Stand in line; I've got dibbs.

What are the odds more than half the coaches would not recognize our partner? (Due to having never seen him/her before?)

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

About 5 years ago I stayed around after my JV game to watch Boys' V game. In consecutive trips I saw this called incorrectly (let go as legal) on white team, then a post player fumbled a ball which rolled about 5 ft away, and when he ran to it and picked it up he was whistled by same official for a travel. Sad part is, nobody said a word. I grabbed my stuff and went home.