The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 10:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I'm not sure I understand the mentality of expecting good officiating at a middle school game. This is the training zone. You may get 2 rookies, or if you're lucky a rookie and a veteran. Only rarely will you get 2 refs who are veterans. I understand even less what the point of complaining about it here does to help.
All I know about the people working these games is this: It's not me. It's not any of my regular partners. Locally: I'm guessing it's new guys and guys looking to make some money. It's silly to expect too much.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Can I ask what the apparent physical condition of the "bad ref" was?

While I agree it may have been a new official just in over her head for the time being, we can't rule out from the stationary/distant trail positioning and the desire to control when post-goal inbounds passes were made that she's entirely too out of shape to be officiating at any level and compensates for that with horrible positioning and self-serving mechanics.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post

While I agree it may have been a new official just in over her head for the time being, we can't rule out from the stationary/distant trail positioning and the desire to control when post-goal inbounds passes were made that she's entirely too out of shape to be officiating at any level and compensates for that with horrible positioning and self-serving mechanics.
Physical conditioning could have nothing to do with it, either. I've seen JV officials stand with their heels on the division line and those guys are thin and appear to be in good shape.

Sometimes it's a lack of training. Sometimes it's just laziness.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I'm not sure I understand the mentality of expecting good officiating at a middle school game. This is the training zone. You may get 2 rookies, or if you're lucky a rookie and a veteran. Only rarely will you get 2 refs who are veterans. I understand even less what the point of complaining about it here does to help.
I don't think I'm expecting great officiating. I AM expecting officials that care, that move to the right places, and who don't mail it in. Official A (the guy who called about 8 fouls, and didn't seem out of position all night) is what I expected. Official B (who may very well have been new) didn't seem to care, and was either VERY poorly trained, or didn't listen at all during training, as she seemed to be mailing it in.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post

Young, not out of shape. 25-ish, I suppose.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I don't think I'm expecting great officiating. I AM expecting officials that care, that move to the right places, and who don't mail it in. Official A (the guy who called about 8 fouls, and didn't seem out of position all night) is what I expected. Official B (who may very well have been new) didn't seem to care, and was either VERY poorly trained, or didn't listen at all during training, as she seemed to be mailing it in.
Ok. What do you want us to do (or say) about it?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Maybe official B hasn't even been trained and was just a warm body that whoever needed to get the officials could talk into doing the game. Maybe the league requires one certified official but not two.

I know that in a few of our middle school games around here that are run as feeder programs for the high schools, the HS coach often gets his players to referee. Most of them have never had any training at all.