The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Crazy 1 and 1 play...

VG game last Saturday night, H team up 1 with under 30 to go. H team goes to line for 1 and 1, I am the adminstering official, lane is cleared witht he exception of the 2 defenders and the shooter. I step in, vocalize and signal 1 and 1 bounce the ball and back out. She shoots, misses, the ball falls to the floor and no one moves. I take a couple steps towards the lane to see what is up, the defender finally picks up the ball and turns and tosses it to me. Instinctively I catch it...realize what happened and drop it..then pick it up again, blow it dead and get with the Trail. We decide to go with the arrow which gave it to the V team.

We get in the locker room a minute later and try to figure out that the heck happened. The trail at the time is an NCAA official and the 3rd official is in his 33rd year. None of us had seen anything like it before.

Now I know I am part of the floor and if it had bounced off me I would have let it play on..but once I caught it...figured I should blow it dead. Anyone know what rule would apply here? Did we do the right thing?
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Were you inbounds or out of bounds? Did V travel (or otherwise violate) after picking up the ball and before tossing it to you?
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Were you inbounds or out of bounds? Did V travel (or otherwise violate) after picking up the ball and before tossing it to you?
I was in bounds and I don't recall her travelling and neither did my partners...she just kind of bent over, grabbed it then pivoted her torso. It all happened really fast and I am trying to get the tape from the game.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 05:04pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
VG game last Saturday night, H team up 1 with under 30 to go. H team goes to line for 1 and 1, I am the adminstering official, lane is cleared witht he exception of the 2 defenders and the shooter. I step in, vocalize and signal 1 and 1 bounce the ball and back out. She shoots, misses, the ball falls to the floor and no one moves. I take a couple steps towards the lane to see what is up, the defender finally picks up the ball and turns and tosses it to me. Instinctively I catch it...realize what happened and drop it..then pick it up again, blow it dead and get with the Trail. We decide to go with the arrow which gave it to the V team.

We get in the locker room a minute later and try to figure out that the heck happened. The trail at the time is an NCAA official and the 3rd official is in his 33rd year. None of us had seen anything like it before.

Now I know I am part of the floor and if it had bounced off me I would have let it play on..but once I caught it...figured I should blow it dead. Anyone know what rule would apply here? Did we do the right thing?
Whether or not you are "part of the court" or not seems irrelevant, though you are.
5-9-3: "If a free throw is not successful and the ball is to remain live, the clock shall be started when the ball touches or is touched by a player on the court."
Did the clock start when the defender touched the ball to toss it to you?
The result of your inadvertant whistle was correct, with AP throw-in following, though the whistle really shouldn't have been blown. Just drop it, stand back, and let the clock run so you don't end up with something ridiculous like a tied game.

Right?

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 05:09pm.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was in bounds and I don't recall her travelling and neither did my partners...she just kind of bent over, grabbed it then pivoted her torso. It all happened really fast and I am trying to get the tape from the game.
Then I think you had an inadvertant whistle with V still in team control.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Did the clock start when the defender touched the ball to toss it to you?
Your inadvertant whistle was correct, with AP throw-in resulting, though the whistle really shouldn't have been blown. Just drop it, stand back, and let the clock run.
Unless the score was tied.
Just jokin' 'bout that last part.
Right?
I forgot to mention that the clock did not start but we didn't catch until I had caught and then dropped the ball. I figured that I should just let them play but it caught me off guard I suppose.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 05:12pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the clock did not start but we didn't catch until I had caught and then dropped the ball. I figured that I should just let them play but it caught me off guard I suppose.
In that case, a whistle in order to inform the table they need to start the clock would not have been out of order, methinks.

P.S.: Thanx for posting this sitch. Good to be reminded of the play in case it happens to any of us sometime.

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 05:15pm.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Then I think you had an inadvertant whistle with V still in team control.
I agree. B1 gained control when she put two hands on the ball. Tossing the ball and having it hit you while you were still inbounds is no different than B1 starting a dribble.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 06:06pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I agree. B1 gained control when she put two hands on the ball. Tossing the ball and having it hit you while you were still inbounds is no different than B1 starting a dribble.
So the best ruling would be B1 would receive the ball because they were in team control or AP because there was no Player control at the time?
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 06:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Other than going to the arrow, you did it right.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
So the best ruling would be B1 would receive the ball because they were in team control or AP because there was no Player control at the time?
The former: Team B would get the ball because of an inadvertent whistle while Team B was in control.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 10:23pm
Huck Finn

Where was you out when the FT was shot that a couple of steps puts you on the court? Seems like you kind of got nervous...if you knew they should be shooting 1 and 1, and you are sure you told them that, why did you budge?
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Where was you out when the FT was shot that a couple of steps puts you on the court? Seems like you kind of got nervous...if you knew they should be shooting 1 and 1, and you are sure you told them that, why did you budge?
I think he may have been as confused as the players.

And yes, I've done it too.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Even more strange

I had a 1 and 1 in a girls' game. First shot missed and nobody moves. Ball comes to B1 on the low block. She looks at me (Lead) and I just look back at her, saying nothing. She finally tosses the ball to the free throw shooter, who is still standing in her original position at the free throw line. She catches the ball, bounces it, catches it again and then bounces it as she thinks she is getting ready to shoot another free throw. After she catches the 2nd bounce I finally have a whistle, for a double dribble. Both coaches knew they heard me say 1 and 1, so they just got on the kids for not being alert.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

I know, wrong sport... but similar.

Middle school football game with only one non-standard rule. They do not rush PAT's unless they go for 2.

Ball is snapped for a PAT - holder catches it high and stand up. Center turns around and holder hands him the ball (we had some debate at halftime whether he was 1 yard behind the line ... but he was close enough for me - no one flagged him). Center turns around and snaps it again. Holder then stands up, says, "OK, we're ready" and throws me the ball.

I get out of the way and move away from the ball. Holder gives me a WTH look, retrieves the ball... and THROWS it toward the center - it bounces once before getting there.

I was never prouder of my crew than this moment when all 3 of us lay on the whistle with both L and H signalling an incomplete pass.

Coach could do nothing but laugh when we explained it to him.

West Houston Mike