The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 02:43pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Player(s) confused about sub situation

Case 10.3.2 Situation B deals with a player who mistakenly believes that he's been subbed out of the game. After play resumes, the coach realizes that they only have 4 players on the court and directs the 5th player to get on the court. The player returns during the live ball, and no penalty is to be assessed.

I seem to remember some small difference in rulings between this case and (maybe?) a case in which the confusion was after a time-out or intermission. Does anyone know of a case play in which a player returning after genuine confusion would be assessed a technical foul?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Case 10.3.2 Situation B deals with a player who mistakenly believes that he's been subbed out of the game. After play resumes, the coach realizes that they only have 4 players on the court and directs the 5th player to get on the court. The player returns during the live ball, and no penalty is to be assessed.

I seem to remember some small difference in rulings between this case and (maybe?) a case in which the confusion was after a time-out or intermission. Does anyone know of a case play in which a player returning after genuine confusion would be assessed a technical foul?
Caseplay 10.1.9 is the play dealing with a player not returning after a time-out. Don't recall a ruling dealing with a player being "genuinely" confused (other than the one already mentioned).
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 05:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Delay Return Following A Time Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Caseplay 10.1.9 is the play dealing with a player not returning after a time-out.
10.1.9 SITUATION: Following a charged time-out Team B is still with their
coach on the sideline when the official sounds the whistle to indicate play will
resume. Four players of B return to the court just in time to play defense as A1
attempts an unsuccessful three-pointer. B1 rebounds and throws a long pass to
B5 who enters the court just in time to catch the pass. RULING: A technical foul
is immed iately charged to Team B for failing to have all players return to the court
at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission. While it is
true the entire team may be off the court while the procedure is being used, once
a team responds, all players must enter the court at approximately the same time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 05:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Delay Returning To Court ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Case 10.3.2 Situation B deals with a player who mistakenly believes that he's been subbed out of the game.
10.3.2 SITUATION B: After a lengthy substitution process involving multiple
substitutions for both Team A and Team B, A5 goes to the bench and remains
there, mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced. The ball is put in play even
though Team A has only four players on the court. Team A is bringing the ball into
A’s frontcourt when the coach of Team A realizes they have only four players. The
coach yells for A5 to return and he/she sprints directly onto the court and catches
up with the play. RULING: No technical foul is charged to A5. A5’s return to
the court was not deceitful, nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage
on the court.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)