Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 11:48am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
We used fan-shaped glass almost everywhere in ND in the 70's and 80's. I think it was a cost factor. Abd, remember, the ball can legally pass over the fan-shaped boards.

If I remember right, the movie "Hoosiers", set in the early 1950's, showed rectangular glass backboards but I think they were not authentic for the time because they did not have the wood at the bottom which supported the rim. I am guessing that the glass back then would not handle the stress of dunking. Also, was that the current Butler Field House in the finals of Hoosiers?
Yes, Hinkel Fieldhouse was the setting for the championship game.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:51pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
you were probably watching the one about ben wilson. i think they showed harold washington as the mayor as well.
I was, but I have seen some the state playoffs on WGN in the past, and the U of Illinois must have installed the smaller backboards. I was only asking if it was a state thing since I only remember the rectangular board for the last forty years or more. Just one of those things I thought to be strange.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 02:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I was, but I have seen some the state playoffs on WGN in the past, and the U of Illinois must have installed the smaller backboards. I was only asking if it was a state thing since I only remember the rectangular board for the last forty years or more. Just one of those things I thought to be strange.
For the record the State Finals in Illinois have not been on WGN in over 10 years. Not sure exactly when, but the Finals have been shown an a series of configurations where it was not allowed to be shown on all the channels as it was the case when I was a kid or in high school over 20 years ago. The point again is this took place even longer than when I was in HS and has nothing to do with what has happened today.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
And every fourth Wyoming gym.
Seriously???? Do you come up from the front range and work a lot of games in Wyoming?? There certainly are a few things that we may be lagging behind in (for good reason usually) rectangular backboards ain't one of em...
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 08:00pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
For the record the State Finals in Illinois have not been on WGN in over 10 years. Not sure exactly when, but the Finals have been shown an a series of configurations where it was not allowed to be shown on all the channels as it was the case when I was a kid or in high school over 20 years ago. The point again is this took place even longer than when I was in HS and has nothing to do with what has happened today.

Peace
I asked a question based from rote memory. The backboards struck me as odd. The documentary reminded me of forgone days, so I posed the question. I never gave any timeline, okay!