The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 01:26pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
I know the definition of the time-out area, so I don't need that posted, but I saw something odd during a BV tourney championship tonight and am curious about opinions.

1. 60-sec timeout, A is still in huddle standing on floor at first horn, B breaks huddle at first and B players come lean in A's huddle listening to coach. A coach notices as he breaks huddle and goes ballistic but doesn't get whacked.

2. A1 fouls out, A coach is on the clock to replace and calls team over for huddle on court, once again several B players come up behind A players and stick their ears in to listen. Coach goes crazy and gets whacked this time.

In both cases, do you have anything?
  1. I'm seriously considering nothing. Possible whack to Team A coach; will try to calm him down.
  2. Nothing to Team B. Whack to Team A coach.

I can see allowing B players to locate themselves wherever they wish. It's the leaning in that I have an issue with. It's contradictory to the betterment of the game, so if I disallow it, it's on that premise.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 01:28pm.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 01:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Now consider the fact that, in the OP, team B came out early but after the first horn. They're supposed to be breaking out of their huddle and getting prepared to play. Does this change any opinions (I'm not saying it should or shouldn't, just for discussion).
If the throw in is going to be by A's bench, I'm not telling them they have to move away after that first horn. If not, I will. Either way, coach doesn't have license to go ape sh1t.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 01:50pm.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 01:35pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Now consider the fact that, in the OP, team B came out early but after the first horn. They're supposed to be breaking out of their huddle and getting prepared to play. Does this change any opinions (I'm not saying it should or shouldn't, just for discussion).
I think this strengthens the position stated above. There is nothing going on in the opponents huddle which is a part of their preparation.

"Get away from there guys. Mind your own business."

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 01:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
There's nothing that requires them to break at the first horn. Absolutely nothing.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There's nothing that requires them to break at the first horn. Absolutely nothing.
But they are to be ready to play by the 2nd horn....which allows them to be anywhere on the court at that time. So, at what time can they be anywhere?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 01:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nothing in the rules prevents B from standing near A's huddle once B has released their players from the timeout huddle.

I'm still moving them away before the first horn, but I will step in if I see them leaning in. That' just unsporting. As for the coach from A going stupid, that's getting shut down quick.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 02:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Nothing in the rules prevents B from standing near A's huddle once B has released their players from the timeout huddle.

I'm still moving them away before the first horn, but I will step in if I see them leaning in. That' just unsporting. As for the coach from A going stupid, that's getting shut down quick.
I'd get them out of there, regardless. I don't need a special rule to prevent stupidity on the court. I'll give them plenty of time to get the position they want before the ball's put in play.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 02:43pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
i don't need a special rule to prevent stupidity on the court.

+1

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

C'mon guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'd get them out of there, regardless. I don't need a special rule to prevent stupidity on the court. I'll give them plenty of time to get the position they want before the ball's put in play.

Exactly.

A single 60-second time-out charged to a team shall not exceed one minute and shall be conducted within the confines of the time-out area.

That tells me a team should be within their own time-out area and not in the other team's area. When Team B players come into Team A's area and "lean" into their conference, that's the type of thing that starts fights. Unsporting acts are not limited to those specifically identified in the rule book. Yeah, I'm whacking that.

The game has got to be managed better than allowing this type of thing go on.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Yeah, I'm whacking that
I'd at least address it, if not whack it the first time it happened, especially if it's more than one player. If it's just the inbounder and he;s just moving to / toward the spot, maybe there's more leeway.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'd at least address it, if not whack it the first time it happened, especially if it's more than one player. If it's just the inbounder and he;s just moving to / toward the spot, maybe there's more leeway.
Inbound was on same end as team A, baseline opposite benches. Was 3 of the 5 members of B.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Inbound was on same end as team A, baseline opposite benches. Was 3 of the 5 members of B.
Yep, no call for that whatsoever. Whack.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Yep, no call for that whatsoever. Whack.
I was just in the crowd, but that's what I was thinking for the one during the timeout since it was blatantly unsportsmanlike and potentially inciting. For the one during the sub, coach is just out of luck.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 11:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I was just in the crowd, but that's what I was thinking for the one during the timeout since it was blatantly unsportsmanlike and potentially inciting. For the one during the sub, coach is just out of luck.
The second doesn't happen if the first ends with free throws.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The second doesn't happen if the first ends with free throws.
True, I just meant judging the potential unsportsmanlike-ness of each occurrence independently. But, free throws or not, I have no problem with the second one since the coach is using his sub time as a de-facto time-out.