The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Suspended Games

I've looked all over my rulebook to try and figure out what happens with the situation I am about to describe, but it doesn't point out what is to happen.

Let's say we are in the 6th inning of a game. Top of the 6th inning, offensive team is down a couple of runs when lightening strikes, the field gets washed out and everybody goes home. Is this a suspended game, or do we cancel out anything that happened in the top of the 6th and only anything that happened before the top of the inning is official?

Could someone point me to a rule reference as well?
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
I've looked all over my rulebook to try and figure out what happens with the situation I am about to describe, but it doesn't point out what is to happen.

Let's say we are in the 6th inning of a game. Top of the 6th inning, offensive team is down a couple of runs when lightening strikes, the field gets washed out and everybody goes home. Is this a suspended game, or do we cancel out anything that happened in the top of the 6th and only anything that happened before the top of the inning is official?

Could someone point me to a rule reference as well?
The Official Rules have an index in the back. Under Suspended Games you will find 4.12 is listed.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

You've played 5 complete innings. Under OBR (which I'm pretty sure you're playing under after reading several of your posts, Canadaump), the home team is winning, and the game is official. No need to finish it at a later date.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

What if the visiting team is batting in the bottom of the 6th, they are down by one, bases loaded, nobody out? You guys have not made it clear what would happen in that situation. Would the score revert to the last completed inning, or would we have to resume the game at a later time? 4.12 does not help with this situation and yes I am well aware that the rulebook has an index at the back (or front in my case).

Last edited by canadaump6; Sun May 20, 2007 at 01:21am.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if the home team is batting in the top of the 6th...
Only in Canada.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if the home team is batting in the top of the 6th, they are down by one, bases loaded, nobody out? You guys have not made it clear what would happen in that situation. Would the score revert to the last completed inning, or would we have to resume the game at a later time? 4.12 does not help with this situation and yes I am well aware that the rulebook has an index at the back (or front in my case).
If the home team is batting in the top of the 6th the coaching staffs for both teams and both of the umpires are all screwed up. I would like to think this an impossible situation.

Let's assume the visitors were really batting in the top of the 6th. 4.12(5) spells out your situation. If the visiting team has not taken the lead after trailing after the 5th, the game is over. Suspended would only apply if they trailed after 5, and took the lead in the top of the 6th, when the lightning came.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Looks like I messed up on this one guys. I meant to say "let's say the home team is batting in the bottom half of the 6th". It probably raised a lot of confusion, and it will be too hard to backtrack on what was said. I know the moderators like to lock threads, so I would like for this one to be locked up too.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if the visiting team is batting in the bottom of the 6th,
same problem as before.

Quote:
they are down by one, bases loaded, nobody out? You guys have not made it clear what would happen in that situation. Would the score revert to the last completed inning, or would we have to resume the game at a later time? 4.12 does not help with this situation and yes I am well aware that the rulebook has an index at the back (or front in my case).
If the game has gone enough innings to be a regulation game, and the home team is winning, it's an official game -- the home team wins.

If the visitors were ahead at the end of the last inning and are still ahead, it's an official game -- the visitors win.

If the home team was ahead at the end of the last inning, but the visitors are now ahead, it's either a suspended game or the score reverts, depending on what rules baseball canada has adopted.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
That's not what he said.
Yes it is, until he edited it to: "What if the visiting team is batting in the bottom of the 6th...", which is no better.

RIF, Paul.

BTW, greetings from NYC. Two wonderful games so far...the Yankees lost both!
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 12:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB

BTW, greetings from NYC. Two wonderful games so far...the Yankees lost both!
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Oh, great. Now I have to change the shirt I spit my coffee on before we head for the "7" train.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Oh, great. Now I have to change the shirt I spit my coffee on before we head for the "7" train.
During the Subway WS, Costas got the 7 and the 4 backwards and the network switchboard lit up like a Christmas tree. He came back from a break with a hurried correction.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
A true New Yorker . . . .

Which leads to:

Anyone who says he is both a Mets fan and a Yankees fan is a liar.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 04:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives

Anyone who says he is both a Mets fan and a Yankees fan is a liar.
It's true, it's true.....
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
A true New Yorker . . .

Well, I guess only a non New Yorker would be silly enough to believe this isn't a photoshop job.

Enjoy...where you from anyway, Rube? See that bridge over there...yours for $300.