The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 07:52pm
Often wrong never n doubt
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 737
Things that make you go hmmm.

Jv girls game. H post defender wraps one arm around V post player who is trying to go screen. I get her for the hold. After reporting H Coach says" How did she hold her?" I replied that she had one arm around each side of her. He gave me a look like I can't believe you called that. Then in second have same H post player was guarding taller V post. She did not ever work to front but only stood behind. As V post went to recthe past she put two hands in her back and pushed her out several feet. My partner whitles the push. When he reports, H Coach askes "what did she do" partner replies she pushed her in the back. Coach says seriously, "if she can't push her how is she supposed to guard her?"
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 285
Sounds like good officiating to get those fouls. Coaches will react as they will and that is especially the case at the JV level. Maybe other officials have passed on those calls and you're getting the grief because you didn't. Or maybe the coach is ignorant. Hard to say.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:29pm
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,024
Sounds like someone needs to teach (legal) defense.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: depends on your perspective
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
Sounds like good officiating to get those fouls. Coaches will react as they will and that is especially the case at the JV level. Maybe other officials have passed on those calls and you're getting the grief because you didn't. Or maybe the coach is ignorant. Hard to say.
Both are plausible, but I'd bet on the latter.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 11:10am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
Sounds like good officiating to get those fouls. Coaches will react as they will and that is especially the case at the JV level. Maybe other officials have passed on those calls and you're getting the grief because you didn't. Or maybe the coach is ignorant. Hard to say.
Sounds like bad coaching.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 11:47am
Tio Tio is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Jv girls game. H post defender wraps one arm around V post player who is trying to go screen. I get her for the hold. After reporting H Coach says" How did she hold her?" I replied that she had one arm around each side of her. He gave me a look like I can't believe you called that. Then in second have same H post player was guarding taller V post. She did not ever work to front but only stood behind. As V post went to recthe past she put two hands in her back and pushed her out several feet. My partner whitles the push. When he reports, H Coach askes "what did she do" partner replies she pushed her in the back. Coach says seriously, "if she can't push her how is she supposed to guard her?"
At the JV level, you have to expect some inexperienced, unknowledgeable coaches.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 11:48am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Sounds like bad coaching.
Yep. I'm only hearing "timeout" at this point.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2012, 12:55pm
Back from the DL
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Coach says seriously, "if she can't push her how is she supposed to guard her?"
I had the usual displacement objection for JV girls last night, "She was boxing out!"

This one came from the AC, so it was ignored.
__________________
Confidence is a vehicle, not a destination.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2012, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
At the JV level, you have to expect some inexperienced, unknowledgeable coaches.
I expect that at all levels.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hmmm..........what do you think? johnSandlin Football 84 Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:42am
Things that make you go hmmmmm... Jurassic Referee Basketball 90 Sun Sep 24, 2006 04:15pm
how we make things worse refnrev Basketball 5 Thu Dec 23, 2004 03:48pm
Things that make you go hmm... kdf5 Football 2 Sat Nov 13, 2004 08:31am
Hmmm... footlocker Basketball 2 Wed Jun 02, 2004 06:02pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1