The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Things that make you go hmmm. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93314-things-make-you-go-hmmm.html)

jeremy341a Thu Dec 20, 2012 07:52pm

Things that make you go hmmm.

Jv girls game. H post defender wraps one arm around V post player who is trying to go screen. I get her for the hold. After reporting H Coach says" How did she hold her?" I replied that she had one arm around each side of her. He gave me a look like I can't believe you called that. Then in second have same H post player was guarding taller V post. She did not ever work to front but only stood behind. As V post went to recthe past she put two hands in her back and pushed her out several feet. My partner whitles the push. When he reports, H Coach askes "what did she do" partner replies she pushed her in the back. Coach says seriously, "if she can't push her how is she supposed to guard her?"

ref3808 Thu Dec 20, 2012 08:09pm

Sounds like good officiating to get those fouls. Coaches will react as they will and that is especially the case at the JV level. Maybe other officials have passed on those calls and you're getting the grief because you didn't. Or maybe the coach is ignorant. Hard to say.

tjones1 Thu Dec 20, 2012 09:29pm

Sounds like someone needs to teach (legal) defense.

DLH17 Fri Dec 21, 2012 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref3808 (Post 868108)
Sounds like good officiating to get those fouls. Coaches will react as they will and that is especially the case at the JV level. Maybe other officials have passed on those calls and you're getting the grief because you didn't. Or maybe the coach is ignorant. Hard to say.

Both are plausible, but I'd bet on the latter. :D

JugglingReferee Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref3808 (Post 868108)

Sounds like bad coaching.

Tio Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 868107)
Jv girls game. H post defender wraps one arm around V post player who is trying to go screen. I get her for the hold. After reporting H Coach says" How did she hold her?" I replied that she had one arm around each side of her. He gave me a look like I can't believe you called that. Then in second have same H post player was guarding taller V post. She did not ever work to front but only stood behind. As V post went to recthe past she put two hands in her back and pushed her out several feet. My partner whitles the push. When he reports, H Coach askes "what did she do" partner replies she pushed her in the back. Coach says seriously, "if she can't push her how is she supposed to guard her?"

At the JV level, you have to expect some inexperienced, unknowledgeable coaches.

Adam Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 868178)
Sounds like bad coaching.

Yep. I'm only hearing "timeout" at this point.

bainsey Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 868107)
Coach says seriously, "if she can't push her how is she supposed to guard her?"

I had the usual displacement objection for JV girls last night, "She was boxing out!"

This one came from the AC, so it was ignored.

deecee Sat Dec 22, 2012 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio (Post 868190)
At the JV level, you have to expect some inexperienced, unknowledgeable coaches.

I expect that at all levels.