The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Blood on player

Officiated with friend this weekend at JV tournament and he said that a situation occurred in a game earlier in the week and wasn't sure if he handled it correctly.

Team A secures rebound, quick outlet and heading other way -- 2 on 1 fast break when he notices Player B ( still in backcourt) has blood running down his shin. He blows the whistle to stop play to take care of the blood , ending the fastbreak. He said that the player bleeding was in " the mix " of other players.

Question he had was : Should he have waited to blow whistle until play (fast break) ended or did he handle it correctly. Coach A wasn't happy at first but when he explained the situation then coach was ok.

I told him I would come here to get the answer

Thanks
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'm letting the fast break finish.

And, if B wants to leave the court, that's approved by me.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 03:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Let the break finish and then stop play if it is that obvious. If not so obvious wait until play is completely stopped. This is really a case by case situation based on a lot of factors. I know sometimes I think I see a kid bleeding and wait until it is obvious.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with Bob

5-8-2-Note: When a player is injured, the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately suspend play.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 06:54pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
5-8-2-Note: When a player is injured, the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately suspend play.
So in the situation above when you blow it dead on an attempt, if the shot is missed it is an AP situation or if it goes in, basket counts and opposition gets ball out of bounds with option to run end line, right?
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 07:58pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
So in the situation above when you blow it dead on an attempt, if the shot is missed it is an AP situation or if it goes in, basket counts and opposition gets ball out of bounds with option to run end line, right?
Correct. Resume play at point of interruption.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 09:14pm
We don't rent pigs

I wouldn't kill it during the try.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 09:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Way Is The Wrong Way ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I wouldn't kill it during the try.
We're supposed to kill it during the try, but I prefer to wait for the ball to go in, or for a defensive rebound, before kill the play.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not killing the fast break unless the injury is severe and the player needs immediate attention.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback ,

I will pass along......
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:32am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We're supposed to kill it during the try, but I prefer to wait for the ball to go in, or for a defensive rebound, before kill the play.

Billy is correct about stopping play once the ball is released. There is no TC once the ball is released and if A1's FGA is successful then Team B will get the ball for a throw-in anywhere along the endline in its backcourt. BUT, A1's FGA is NOT successful we have a Jump Ball situation and the ball is put back into play via the AP Arrow.

Billy's waiting to see who gets the rebound is common because we no longer use the more equitable Jump Ball to put the ball back into play, we instead use the Alternating Possession Arrow (which I call an abomination upon the game, to which Billy responds: "Oh just shut up!" Beat you to it, my Christmas present to you Billy, . The wrist and elbow are sore though and wish I could be officiating with Mark, Jr., tonight, like I was supposed to be doing, instead of watching him officiating while recovering from this minor surgery.)

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:34pm
M.A.S.H.

Not trying to hi-jack, but since we're talking about blood...

This is something that has always bothered me and I'm probably going to submit a proposal to have it changed since in my opinion Team A clearly gains an advantage.

3.3.7 Situation B: A1 discovers she is bleeding and intentionally wipes blood on the arm of the both B4 and B5. In (a) neither the referee or umpire observes the bleeding or the action of A1; (b) U1 observes that A1 is bleeding from a cut on her arm; (c) U1 observes B4 and B5 with blood on their arm; or (d) U1 observes A1 bleeding, and observes A1’s action of wiping blood on the arm of B4 and B5. RULING: In (a), A1 must leave the game when the bleed is discovered; (b) A1 must least the game when bleeding is observed; (c) B4 and B5 must leave the game when blood is observed on their person; (d) A1, B4, B5 must leave the game and, A1 is changed with a technical foul for an unsporting act. If in the judgment of U1 the actions of A1 were flagrant, A1 would be disqualified from further competition. Any player or legally entering substitute may attempt the two free throws, after which B will have the ball for a division line throw-in. In all situations, a team may call time-out to keep a player in the game.

I think B4 and B5 should be allowed to stay in the game without a time-out because of A1's unsporting action.

Also, I don't think there's any judgment about it. If I observe a player intentionally wiping blood on another player they will be ejected.

Last edited by tjones1; Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 01:16pm.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with you in principle but it is such an unlikely event that there are probably bigger fish to fry.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:18pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I agree with you in principle but it is such an unlikely event that there are probably bigger fish to fry.
Agree it's very unlikely to happen and there are bigger fish to fry.

But our hands are tied on this one unless it's changed.

I guess I'd like to hear their rationale as to why they require B to take a time-out considering A committed an unsporting act.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Further Hijacking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
This is something that has always bothered me and I'm probably going to submit a proposal to have it changed since in my opinion Team A clearly gains an advantage.

3.3.7 Situation B: A1 discovers she is bleeding and intentionally wipes blood on the arm of the both B4 and B5. In (a) neither the referee or umpire observes the bleeding or the action of A1; (b) U1 observes that A1 is bleeding from a cut on her arm; (c) U1 observes B4 and B5 with blood on their arm; or (d) U1 observes A1 bleeding, and observes A1’s action of wiping blood on the arm of B4 and B5. RULING: In (a), A1 must leave the game when the bleed is discovered; (b) A1 must least the game when bleeding is observed; (c) B4 and B5 must leave the game when blood is observed on their person; (d) A1, B4, B5 must leave the game and, A1 is changed with a technical foul for an unsporting act. If in the judgment of U1 the actions of A1 were flagrant, A1 would be disqualified from further competition. Any player or legally entering substitute may attempt the two free throws, after which B will have the ball for a division line throw-in. In all situations, a team may call time-out to keep a player in the game.

I think B4 and B5 should be allowed to stay in the game without a time-out because of A1's unsporting action.

Also, I don't think there's any judgment about it. If I observe a player intentionally wiping blood on another player they will be ejected.
So if A1 and B1 are observed during a live ball with blood on them and the official observes it, play is stopped and each coach must request a timeout to "buy" the player back into the game assuming the blood disappears from their person and the timeouts are served concurrently? I thought each coach must request a timeout to get their player back in. And the timeouts are served concurrently. I'm looking for clarification on this.