The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:11am
Often wrong never n doubt

T or no T?

My parter from the lead calls a foul on H1 (speaking captain) resulting in 2 freethrows for V1 as it was during a shot attempt. While my partner is reporting the foul I move to the new lead to administer the freethrows. H2 hands me the ball and says we are playing good defense, they are just throwing it up there. I tell him my parter had a good look at it and must have seen contact. He gives me the look like I'm an idiot and says "but we ain't fouling". I tell him "that is enough." We shoot the first shot. As I am handed the ball H2 looks at H1 and with a certain tone says "good defence" It was obvious to me what he was saying. I am standing in the lane and H1 with some good sence looks at me and says "he was talking to me". I then instruct all players that any further comment on any call would result in a T.
H1 looks at me and says "yes, sir".

Should I have given a T to H2 for his good defence comment as it was another attack on my partner's call. Not that it matters on the t or no t but for some background it was only the 3rd fould called on their team and we were about one minute into the 4th quarter.
3rd fould on their team and we were about 1 minute into the fourth quarter
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
My parter from the lead calls a foul on H1 (speaking captain) resulting in 2 freethrows for V1 as it was during a shot attempt. While my partner is reporting the foul I move to the new lead to administer the freethrows. H2 hands me the ball and says we are playing good defense, they are just throwing it up there. I tell him my parter had a good look at it and must have seen contact. He gives me the look like I'm an idiot and says "but we ain't fouling". I tell him "that is enough." We shoot the first shot. As I am handed the ball H2 looks at H1 and with a certain tone says "good defence" It was obvious to me what he was saying. I am standing in the lane and H1 with some good sence looks at me and says "he was talking to me". I then instruct all players that any further comment on any call would result in a T.

Should I have given a T to H2 for his good defence comment as it was another attack on my partner's call. Not that it matters on the t or no t but for some background it was only the 3rd fould called on their team and we were about one minute into the 4th quarter.
Just a side note: I don't get speaking captains. I will talk to anyone on the court as long as they're playing nice. Speaking captains are an old thing that has stayed around longer than it should have if you ask me.

After the "good defense" comment I would look at them and tell them they need to play and we will officiate. I would also tell my partner that I told them to cut it out so he knows too. After that penalize if you need to.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I might. I certainly wouldn't question another official who did.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:39am
Huck Finn

I guess I would have to be there. It seems like another conversation with a brat player to me.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

If he just says "we're playing good D and they are just throwing up there" I'll thank him for the handing me the ball and ask everyone to line up for the free throws. No reason to reply with something that invites further comment about contact.

Ideally my partner has already reported and is in his position and we're administering free throws and moving the game along quickly. The sooner we move on the better.

Last edited by ref3808; Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 11:49am.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:56am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Likely not a T, since that type of comment isn't said often in my woods. As such, I barely acknowledge those types of comments. I'm not going to go play communication cop when players or coaches say "good defense" when I know they're just commenting on the call.

Now, if they persist, they broke one of the three P's, and then you deal with it.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I guess I would have to be there. It seems like another conversation with a brat player to me.
That is exactally what it was but by not giving him a T it seems like I actually am condoning his behavior and it will continue in the future. Thinking back I believe I should have called the T.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Not even close to a T, imo.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Should I have given a T to H2 for his good defence comment as it was another attack on my partner's call.
Hell no. I suspect it's more likely H2 was trying to ground H1 rather than making a sideways comment to your partner, who wasn't even there to hear it. Too sensitive by several degrees.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:39pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Just a side note: I don't get speaking captains. I will talk to anyone on the court as long as they're playing nice. Speaking captains are an old thing that has stayed around longer than it should have if you ask me.
It comes in handy in one particular area. Should the game go into overtime, you'll need a quick captains meeting to tell them there will be a four-minute OT period, a jump ball, and an extra 60-second timeout for each team after the OT has started.

Aside from that, I don't ask for speaking captains, unless I have a partner that insists upon them. The rules say that all five players can talk to us. That's good enough for me.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
It comes in handy in one particular area. Should the game go into overtime, you'll need a quick captains meeting to tell them there will be a four-minute OT period, a jump ball, and an extra 60-second timeout for each team after the OT has started.

Aside from that, I don't ask for speaking captains, unless I have a partner that insists upon them. The rules say that all five players can talk to us. That's good enough for me.
1) I've never done that

2) Only to request a TO (or something like that), iirc.

A captain can be handy if you want to get a message to another player (tell #2 to watch his attitude) or coach (I need you to help get your team out of the huddle after a TO)
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Hell no. I suspect it's more likely H2 was trying to ground H1 rather than making a sideways comment to your partner, who wasn't even there to hear it. Too sensitive by several degrees.
H2 wasn't trying to ground H1 as H2 was the only one to complain even though the fould was on H1. Also H2 never complained to the calling official only myself. He most definetly said it as if to say you didn't foul, you got screwed.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
My sentiments exactly.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not even close to a T, imo.
I agree...not even close to a T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

The only thing in that list I'd think about telling anyone is the extra 60...and I'm telling the coaches that. Everyone will get the fact that there will be 4 minutes and a jump ball when...you tell the timer to put 4 on the clock and tell everyone to line up for the jump ball (which most players already know I'd guess).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

My $0.02-

I would not want to explain a T in the situation above to my assignor. And therefore would not call it.

I would either ignore the first comment about playing good defense or respond by saying something to the effect of, "you play, we'll officiate." You have to find words that work for you but I simply say, "Play ball" in a way that seems to be understood by 99% of the players in my games.

If the comments continue then I either choose to issue the T or usually repeat "play ball" more sternly if needed. For me this takes care of things almost every time. And if it's something I suspect will continue but was not necessarily T worthy then I may talk to the coach and let him know that #23 needs to play ball and cut out the comments. After that it's T time.

IMO I would stay away from statements like, "any further comment on any call would result in a T." No need to threaten a T. Either issue it or don't. When you told them, "that's enough" they know what you mean.