The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Intentionally throwing ball off face

I saw something like this in a recent post (player intentionally threw ball off the face of opponent laying on the sideline), but apparently I am having an off day and cannot seem to find it, so I will ask it to get a straight answer.

If a player is trying to save the ball from going out of bounds and intentionally throws it off an opponent's face, do you have anything?

I would think if the same were done during a dead ball such as an inbound you would probably have a technical, and done in retaliation for something you would have at minimum a tech, but if it were clearly and intentionally done during live ball would you have an intentional or a flagrant?
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 10:35pm
NFHS Official

Casebook

10.3.6 SITUATION B:

A1 has the ball out of bounds for a designated spot throw-in. B1 is putting great pressure on and the count is at four seconds when A1 throws the ball and it strikes B1's face. The ball rebounds from B1's face directly out of bounds.

RULING: The administering official will have to make a decision based upon a number of observations. Was the throw-in to B1's face purely accidental or was it a voluntary, planned act? Was the ball contact caused by the movement of the defender? Was the act of a an unsporting nature? The administering official must be aware that players often react negatively in situations where they are *frustrated or are retaliating for something which happened earlier in the game.

Last edited by OKREF; Mon Dec 17, 2012 at 10:46pm.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Casebook
10.3.6 SITUATION B:
Thanks, yea that's what I'm talking about but they conveniently leave any actual ruling out of the ruling.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 10:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

First thought, a throw in is a live ball.

Second, if it's intentional, bye bye.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
First thought, a throw in is a live ball.

Second, if it's intentional, bye bye.
Ok, so when I was thinking that would be a flagrant I was along the right lines?

And yea, moment of stupidity, throw-in is only dead ball until the ball is at thrower's disposal, during which time it would be impossible for him to hit someone in the face with it...
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

I have a hard time envisioning a player trying to save the ball and intentionally throwing the ball off a player's face. In the heat of battle, a player isn't jump, turn, and throw the ball off a player's face on purpose to save the ball.

Anyhow, if you have a player throwing the ball off a player's face on purpose, T at minimum and probably a flagrant T.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I have a hard time envisioning a player trying to save the ball and intentionally throwing the ball off a player's face. In the heat of battle, a player isn't jump, turn, and throw the ball off a player's face on purpose to save the ball.
In the past week I believe (for the life of me I cannot find the right thread) someone posted that exact thing had happened in their game and they were not sure of the intent, but later were told by the player who threw it that he threw it in the guy's face on purpose.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
In the past week I believe (for the life of me I cannot find the right thread) someone posted that exact thing had happened in their game and they were not sure of the intent, but later were told by the player who threw it that he threw it in the guy's face on purpose.
Did the player mean he was trying to throw it off the player's face on purpose because it was the first body part he saw...much in the same vein of when a player is intentionally throwing the ball at a player to knock the ball off of them and hits the player in the groin?

The question I'm envisioning in your OP was one where there's clear ill intent behind throwing the ball at the player.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did the player mean he was trying to throw it off the player's face on purpose because it was the first body part he saw...much in the same vein of when a player is intentionally throwing the ball at a player to knock the ball off of them and hits the player in the groin?

The question I'm envisioning in your OP was one where there's clear ill intent behind throwing the ball at the player.
I wish I could find the other post, because the way I understood it and what made me think of this was that the player intentionally threw it off his opponent's face unnecessarily with the intent of hitting the player in the face when other options existed.

Certainly in the situation you mentioned, intentionally but more or less blindly throwing off a player and it hits accidentally is nothing.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 11:48pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
One of the calls I regret not making several years ago was when a player leapt to 'save' a ball that was going OOB, and threw it off his opponent's face. The player making the save was in a position to see the whole court and easily could have saved it onto the court. It was a calculated throw in my estimation, and I should have rung him up.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
One of the calls I regret not making several years ago was when a player leapt to 'save' a ball that was going OOB, and threw it off his opponent's face. The player making the save was in a position to see the whole court and easily could have saved it onto the court. It was a calculated throw in my estimation, and I should have rung him up.
Here is what my thoughts were directed toward. So if you could go back you would have hit him with a flagrant?
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 07:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Asking ...

Quote:
If you have a player throwing the ball off a player's face on purpose, T at minimum and probably a flagrant T.
Even if during a live ball? Is this contact in the sense that it's a personal foul, or is this more like noncontact, as in a technical foul? Fist to face is contact, but ball to face is noncontact? I have lot's of questions. I have no answers.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 07:42am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Even if during a live ball? Is this contact in the sense that it's a personal foul, or is this more like noncontact, as in a technical foul? Fist to face is contact, but ball to face is noncontact? I have lot's of questions. I have no answers.
You know better, Billy. Intentionally throwing the ball to the face is nothing close to a basketball move, and can only injure, intimidate, etc. Flagrant T almost* every time.

* only because I "never say never, never say always"
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglingreferee View Post
you know better, billy. Intentionally throwing the ball to the face is nothing close to a basketball move, and can only injure, intimidate, etc. Flagrant t almost* every time.

* only because i "never say never, never say always"
+1
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
Thanks, yea that's what I'm talking about but they conveniently leave any actual ruling out of the ruling.
Sometimes you need to officiate.