The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Tip to yourself

Player A is dribbling the ball in the front court. Player B pokes it away. The ball is roll owing towards player A's basket. Player B attempts to grab the ball but cannot so he rolls it two times while running then picks it up and does a layup. Is this play legal? Can you tip the ball to yourself consecutively?
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:26am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP View Post
Player A is dribbling the ball in the front court. Player B pokes it away. The ball is roll owing towards player A's basket. Player B attempts to grab the ball but cannot so he rolls it two times while running then picks it up and does a layup. Is this play legal? Can you tip the ball to yourself consecutively?
Using the words of your signature at the bottom of your post, some of your "basketball terms" in the question are not "understood" by me.

If possible, please rephrase your question a little more clearly and you can be sure I and others will be happy to study the situation.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Looks legal to me, two points for team A.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Was the "roll" a dribble? A fumble? Would you have granted Team B a TO if requested during this act?
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I assumed he was using FIBA notations (which, of couse means that my question about granting a TO might not be relevant -- replace it with "If B had pushed A out of that way during this, would you have a TC foul?)
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You did not specify your rule set. In Ont you may be using FIBA rules. 13.1 reads as follows:
During the game, the ball is played with the hand(s) only and may be passed, thrown, tapped, rolled or dribbled in any direction, subject to the restrictions of these rules.

So legal play as described unless Player B travels after picking up the ball or some other violation occurs. You are using the term "tip" but you are describing a player rolling the ball.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
For Team A?? Guess when B had his head down rollin along he forgot which was his goal.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 03:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
For Team A?? Guess when B had his head down rollin along he forgot which was his goal.
OP said they were heading toward team A's basket. I didn't think of FIBA rules.