The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Advice from TASO Officials for a New Guy?

Do any TASO members (specifically in the Houston area) have any recommendations on how to get involved down here? I attempted to contact the local chapter twice, once prior to the fall training and another more recent time, but have heard nothing back.

I would like to begin officiating here next fall, but I wanted to get involved in the camps, go ahead and take the test if possible, etc. beforehand so that I am as ready as I possibly can be. (I have some things in the spring that would also be benefitted by my being certified by that time instead of waiting until fall if it is possible to be.)

Thanks for the help for an uninformed new guy!

Last edited by rekent; Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 08:48pm.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:22am
Archaic Power Monger

My apologies for taking a while but I finally responded to your PM.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Do you want to be associated with TASO or do you want to just call basketball, not worrying about which association to be a part of? The TASO chapters in the greater Houston area have a small percentage of the varsity games. The UIL chapter has the majority of the public school games. I know people who have reasons that make them adament about one vs the other, and I know other people that just want to go where the games are. The choice is yours.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhistle View Post
Do you want to be associated with TASO or do you want to just call basketball, not worrying about which association to be a part of? ...
I am new to the area and do not fully comprehend the interaction between UIL and TASO, so I am not sure. Where I come from there is a single state certifying organization that all officials must be members of and then each school contracts with officials for a game.

Generally, I would just like to be able to officiate games and if/when I am deemed proficient enough in the future, do varsity games. I checked the websites of several of the organizations, but they are a little light on actual information so I figured there are likely officials on the forum who have experience or information/advice that would be helpful.