The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Question

I posted the same question on the football board and got lots of good advice, so I wanted to ask the same question here. What advice would you have for a new basketball offical to make the learning experience as smooth as possible on both him and his potential partners (rules, mechanics, conditioning, politics, dealing with howler monkeys, etc.)?

I called some league ball this spring and enjoyed it enough to go ahead and join the association so I can call "real" basketball. All help and advice is appreciated.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

I am in Texas in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 10:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Find a Mentor.

Get a mentor. Find people that are at the level you want to achieve if you can. If that is the varsity level in HS, find someone you respect or like their ability as an official.

You do not want to follow people that have not achieved the level you want to be at. If you want to do college ball, it will be difficult learn the college game from an official that has never done that level. Or if you want to do D1 and that official is not at the D1 level themselves.

The main reason you need to do this is basically because they can share accurately the ins and outs of achieving that level and staying at those levels. All those thing you covered like the politics, mechanics, rules, dealing with coaches can be shared by someone that has been there. And better yet, you can move up by an officials recommendation much easier than doing it by yourself.

I just yesterday worked with a guy that I consider a mentor that does D1. And everything he was telling me was related to calling the college game. Even thought we were doing a HS summer league, all his advice was geared toward what was college officiating. He is always stressing to me Game Management, not all this other stuff some claim. Calling your primary, knowing the time on the clock when things happen, knowing "on the floor" the possession arrow not relying on the table. Simply knowing what it takes to get hired and what it takes to get fired if you move to that level. These are things I have never heard any HS only official talk about on a consistent basis. And all his advice have made me a much better HS officials.

Just my thoughts.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
I know some folks in the DFW area that might be able to help you..check out their website..I think they hgave a link on the http://www.UIL.com website. Best of luck in your officiating career.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Thumbs up

I agree JRut all the way. When I first started I got a mentor to work with me. Then I started talking with other veteran officials who had been around a while and had a reputation in my area.
When are you first starting out, DO NOT go in with the attitude that you know it all. That turns officials right away. Always be ready to learn and be ready to listen.
Take a little bit from every official that you come in contact with and then piece it all together.
Good Luck

Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Those are both good tips from John above...
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
That's where I am also. If you are in the Fort Worth area, the link to our TASO site is

http://www.fwboa.com/

and we have a camp coming up in August you may be interested in:

http://www.fwboa.com/offseason.htm#lone star camp

Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 03:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I've said it before, but it's still true. The best advice I ever received at a camp was "tuck your whistle in your shirt when you go to take a leak".

No matter what anyone else tells you, don't ever forget that.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Sleeper, here's a post that I made for another new official. He was brand new with absolutely no experience, so the post may not be as much help for you. But since you haven't yet passed the test, I'll post it in its entirety. Take what works and throw out the rest. . .

Quote:
First of all, glad to have you here on the site. If you're like me, you'll find that it's a valuable resource for improving your officiating. You'll also find that it's addicting. So maybe it's better if you're not like me.

In any case, here's my humble suggestions for improving as a brand new official. Seems to me that there are only 2 or 3 things that you totally control when you're just starting out. They are: 1) your knowledge of the rules; 2) your mechanics; 3) your appearance.

1) Know your rules cold. Read the book all the time, read the cases when your not reading the rules. Talk to fellow officials who know the rules about situations. Listen to your board interpreter at meetings. Know the rules cold.

2) Practice your mechanics as much as possible. Do this at home in front of a mirror. Watch yourself. Say "Tweet" (don't actually blow a whistle, or you'll go deaf) and make a foul signal. Or stop the clock and give a traveling signal. Do this as much as you can. If you can see yourself doing it, you'll know if your arm is really straight. (If your arms get tired, take a break and study your rule book.) You'll get into the habit of using a fist for fouls and open palm for violations. Get your signals right out in front of your chest. Practice reporting the foul to the table. Again, try to do this in front of a mirror if at all possible. It feels silly, but it helps, honest.

3) Don't scrimp on your uniform. Get black beltless pants (I prefer non-pleated Sansabelts, but you can buy other brands that still look nice). Get a good pair of black shoes and make 'em shine! People really do notice. If you have long hair or a slightly "unusual" hairstyle, get rid of it. (My first year I didn't want to cut my hair and I was called "pretty boy" by a fan. That convinced me real fast.) If you wear jewlery like a bracelet or chain or a watch, don't wear them on the court.

Finally, you just have to go out and work games. Lots and lots of games. See as much baskeball as you can. If you're not workig a game, go to a HS game and watch the officials. Take your rule book so you can study the rules during the time-outs. Then talk to the officials after the game, if they're available. Ask them about a situation from the game and why they handled it as they did. Then offer to buy them a couple beers at the local watering hole. Ok, that last part is probably not as important as the other stuff, but you get the idea.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how your first few games go. Have a great season.

Did I mention that you should study the rules?

Chuck
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
I'm also in the Ft. Worth chapter of TASO. We're glad to have you. I look forward to seeing you at our first meeting on Sep. 18 (I think that's the date). Scott also mentioned our official's camp Aug 23 - 25. I've been to the last two. They are the best camps in TX that are put on by state chapters of TASO. And very reasonably price. Again, happy to have you as a member. Look forward to meeting you.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Sleeper, here's a post that I made for another new official. He was brand new with absolutely no experience, so the post may not be as much help for you. But since you haven't yet passed the test, I'll post it in its entirety. Take what works and throw out the rest. . .

Quote:
First of all, glad to have you here on the site. If you're like me, you'll find that it's a valuable resource for improving your officiating. You'll also find that it's addicting. So maybe it's better if you're not like me.

In any case, here's my humble suggestions for improving as a brand new official. Seems to me that there are only 2 or 3 things that you totally control when you're just starting out. They are: 1) your knowledge of the rules; 2) your mechanics; 3) your appearance.

1) Know your rules cold. Read the book all the time, read the cases when your not reading the rules. Talk to fellow officials who know the rules about situations. Listen to your board interpreter at meetings. Know the rules cold.

2) Practice your mechanics as much as possible. Do this at home in front of a mirror. Watch yourself. Say "Tweet" (don't actually blow a whistle, or you'll go deaf) and make a foul signal. Or stop the clock and give a traveling signal. Do this as much as you can. If you can see yourself doing it, you'll know if your arm is really straight. (If your arms get tired, take a break and study your rule book.) You'll get into the habit of using a fist for fouls and open palm for violations. Get your signals right out in front of your chest. Practice reporting the foul to the table. Again, try to do this in front of a mirror if at all possible. It feels silly, but it helps, honest.

3) Don't scrimp on your uniform. Get black beltless pants (I prefer non-pleated Sansabelts, but you can buy other brands that still look nice). Get a good pair of black shoes and make 'em shine! People really do notice. If you have long hair or a slightly "unusual" hairstyle, get rid of it. (My first year I didn't want to cut my hair and I was called "pretty boy" by a fan. That convinced me real fast.) If you wear jewlery like a bracelet or chain or a watch, don't wear them on the court.

Finally, you just have to go out and work games. Lots and lots of games. See as much baskeball as you can. If you're not workig a game, go to a HS game and watch the officials. Take your rule book so you can study the rules during the time-outs. Then talk to the officials after the game, if they're available. Ask them about a situation from the game and why they handled it as they did. Then offer to buy them a couple beers at the local watering hole. Ok, that last part is probably not as important as the other stuff, but you get the idea.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how your first few games go. Have a great season.

Did I mention that you should study the rules?

Chuck
Excellent, excellent post. If you're semi-serious about
this stuff then realize it is a business, and as in any
business networking is key. Second only to knowing your
stuff, which in our business is rules and mechanics. BTW,
I had a similar comment concerning my appearance in my first
year, I learned my lesson fast. So to break it down:

1. Know your business cold: rules & mechanics. Only way to
do this is to work as many games as you can get your hands
on. Regardless of the level.
2. Look the part. Stay in shape, buy a full uniform & keep
it clean.
3. Network with peers & those "above" you.
Old Thu Jul 11, 2002, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

For what its worth (one cent maybe), here's a howler monkey's perspective. In addition to those things quoted by Chuck:

1. Ignore fans completely, unless they become abusive. In a small setting ask the coach or an administrator to address the fan. If that doesn't work, kick 'em out. Nothing much worse than a ref who gets in a yelling match with a fan.

2. Ignore coaches unless their whining becomes excessive. If you feel comfortable doing so, use wit to defuse situations. I wish I had more referees like the people who post here...I think. If a coach whines a lot tell him/her to have a seat. I find I grow a lot quieter when I'm sitting on my brain.

3. Don't take any crap from players.

4. After the game, get off the court asap, even if you have another game on the same court in a few minutes. I watched a hotly contested game where one ref left the floor, and the second chose to sit down at the scorer's table. The ref who remained got into a loud shouting match with a parent. Not pretty.

- Catherine Aird
Old Thu Jul 11, 2002, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
For what its worth (one cent maybe), here's a howler monkey's perspective. In addition to those things quoted by Chuck:

1. Ignore fans completely, unless they become abusive. In a small setting ask the coach or an administrator to address the fan. If that doesn't work, kick 'em out. Nothing much worse than a ref who gets in a yelling match with a fan.

2. Ignore coaches unless their whining becomes excessive. If you feel comfortable doing so, use wit to defuse situations. I wish I had more referees like the people who post here...I think. If a coach whines a lot tell him/her to have a seat. I find I grow a lot quieter when I'm sitting on my brain.

3. Don't take any crap from players.

4. After the game, get off the court asap, even if you have another game on the same court in a few minutes. I watched a hotly contested game where one ref left the floor, and the second chose to sit down at the scorer's table. The ref who remained got into a loud shouting match with a parent. Not pretty.
More excellent advice, particularly #1 & #4. Ignore the
fans. No ifs, ands or buts. If you need to kick a fan out
of the gym have someone else do it - security, league director, coach, anyone. As for #2 & #3, I believe
each official goes throgh a process where he gets
comfortable with the how he handles coaches/players. I, for
one, usually will try to actively engage coaches and players. If I'm ignoring someone then I've already
written him off as an @sshole & he's on a very short
leash. Frankly this is not something that new guys can
easily do, but generally, it's better if the new guy
listens. But if you're as new guy working a full schedule
you'll probably have your fair share of T's, deserved &
undeserved.