The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

time keeeping

if the scorekeeper fails to start the clock on an inbound and a goal is scored, what action is taken??? is the goal scored or not counted????

scenario 2....if there is 1 second on the clock and the time keeper starts the clock prematurely and the buzzer sounds expiring time but a goal is scored after, and the official feels the basket took less than the second to score, what action are taken....scenario 3....if the horn sounds prematurely and there is a foul called immediatly after the inbound within the hypothetical 1 second....the official is all the above has definitive judgement that all action took place under the 1 second by his internal clock.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

#1...goal counts. The officials can use any on-court counts they may have to adjust the time...no guessing. If an official got to 7 in the backcourt and got to 4 on a 5 second count in the frontcourt and had some other amount of undetermined time, 11 seconds can be taken off the clock.

#2...if the official knew the clock started early and counted in their head, they could count the basket if it was released before they got to 0:00. That said, when they see it start early, they should kill it right then and fix it (presumably, it is during a throwin so play would typically resume from that same throwin).

#3...same as #2, the official can, with any information they have, make adjustments to the clock. That horn was effectively an inadvertent horn.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
#1...goal counts. The officials can use any on-court counts they may have to adjust the time...no guessing. If an official got to 7 in the backcourt and got to 4 on a 5 second count in the frontcourt and had some other amount of undetermined time, 11 seconds can be taken off the clock.

#2...if the official knew the clock started early and counted in their head, they could count the basket if it was released before they got to 0:00. That said, when they see it start early, they should kill it right then and fix it (presumably, it is during a throwin so play would typically resume from that same throwin).

#3...same as #2, the official can, with any information they have, make adjustments to the clock. That horn was effectively an inadvertent horn.
A little nit-picky by me, but those phrases don't mesh. The official shouldn't try to go with a non-visible count or use "any" info, but do as you wrote in #1 and use only definite knowledge.

Now I'm also going to disagree with your conclusions for #2 and #3. This is the period-ending horn which will cause the players to stop and make the ball dead unless released on a try for goal prior to it sounding. This is not the same as the timer hitting the horn for subs or to get the officials attention. Therefore, the goal cannot count. The timing mistake may be corrected and the game continued from the POI. For #3 the foul would be ignored unless intentional or flagrant and play would again revert to the POI following the timing correction.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 07:21am.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 07:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

In My Humble Opinion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The official shouldn't try to go with a non-visible count.
Disagree. If an official has definite knowledge, even if it involves a nonvisible count, like for a possible three second violation, then the official should be allowed to use it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 07:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Disagree. If an official has definite knowledge, even if it involves a nonvisible count, like for a possible three second violation, then the official should be allowed to use it.
I agree, but if I'm killing the play with time on the clock, I'm going to have a visible count.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't end up in hot water. Do something which shows up on video.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, I don't believe that this is what 5-10-2 is referring to with the words official's count. If you look at 2-7-9 you won't find the 3-second count listed.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Don't end up in hot water. Do something which shows up on video.
I disagree. If we only made decisions because video would back us up, we'd avoid making a lot of decisions. Sometimes, you just have to make a tough decision.

If you have a count, visible or not, and you don't use it, you're not following the rules. It doesn't say definite visible knowledge, just definite knowledge.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:29am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by camron rust View Post
i disagree. If we only made decisions because video would back us up, we'd avoid making a lot of decisions. Sometimes, you just have to make a tough decision.

If you have a count, visible or not, and you don't use it, you're not following the rules. It doesn't say definite visible knowledge, just definite knowledge.
+1

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 14, 2012, 05:07am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Trying to recall......

ESPN HS game last night - Calif vs Texas teams. Anyone see it?

End of game and black down by three. They have the ball under their basket with 2.17 secs left.

A1 makes a long baseball pass down court which is tipped out by B1 about the top of key at the other end of the court. Clock still reads 2.17.

Refs got together and changed the clock to 1.86 secs.

A lot of BIG TIME coaches at those HS ESPN games last night! Yikes.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2012, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Hundreths of a Second on the Clock.....Really

Clock showed 2.17 and they set it to 1.86
Old Fri Dec 14, 2012, 08:32am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdesigner View Post
Funny you should mention that because the school I was working at last night had a scoreboard with hundreths. First time I had seen that and of course I had to correct a clock issue when the time started it as soon as the throw in was released.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2012, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes. Really.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had one last night. Small school and it confused me the first time I saw it. It wouldn't show the hundredths while running, only when stopped.