The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach's leash (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93197-coachs-leash.html)

rockyroad Tue Dec 11, 2012 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 866280)
No. And if he did tell him to "sit down and shut up" on some level, it is still up to the coach to act professionally and not use inappropriate language. And saying "That's bull$!t" is usually going to get you stuck by many officials. Just because the official did not use the proper procedure does not excuse bad or unsporting behavior. I would talk to the official if I was an evaluator about that interaction, but when coaches roll the dice, they might just crap out with the wrong official.

Peace

Since this is an official's forum, we talk about things that officials do and try to devise ways to do them better or handle situations more effectively. Of course coaches should act professionally...no said they shouldn't. But the calling official did not need to make the comment that was made and all it did was to make the situation worse...would the coach have still been tossed without that comment being made? Probably...but that isn't the point.

ballgame99 Tue Dec 11, 2012 04:57pm

I agree the 'sit down and be quiet' response was probably not appropriate, but what would most here advise he should have done? I'm assuming a simple 'that's enough coach' with a stop sign would be sufficient?

VaTerp Tue Dec 11, 2012 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 866337)
I agree the 'sit down and be quiet' response was probably not appropriate, but what would most here advise he should have done? I'm assuming a simple 'that's enough coach' with a stop sign would be sufficient?

Official who issued the first T should have gotten out of there and his partner should have told the coach any version of, "Coach you've lost the box for the rest of the game and need to have a seat."

Sounds like this Coach would have been tossed regardless but I think we should always be looking at potential learning moments and the best ways to handle situations.

BillyMac Tue Dec 11, 2012 05:04pm

You Are Outta Here ...

Charge the first deserved technical foul. Noncalling partner should attempt to sit him down. "Bull****" gets him the second deserved technical foul, hopefully from the partner, but let's not split hairs. Hope he enjoys his cold seat on the bus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 866250)
Trail calls foul on the floor ... Trail says no, on the floor.

Officials never use the phrase, "on the floor". Either the player is in the act of shooting, or he's not in the act of shooting. The proper call here really doesn't depend on whether, or not, he's on the floor.

Raymond Tue Dec 11, 2012 05:06pm

Quote:

Too late for "that's enough" as he already has been T'd up. Saying nothing is probably the best thing to do and if the coach continues with his diatribe then a 2nd 'T' would be my next action.

MD Longhorn Tue Dec 11, 2012 05:55pm

Quote:

He already said, "That's enough coach" with his hands when he put them together into a T. He needs say nothing else. If the guy earns another T on his own after that - hopefully it comes from partner, but it doesn't have to.

twocentsworth Tue Dec 11, 2012 06:18pm

The official was right to give the 2nd T and eject.....

Based on the OP, the coach was right to complain about the shot being waved off. The determining factor is NOT the # of steps after the foul is called....the shot begins once the player gathers the ball in his/her natural shooting motion.

BOTH official AND coach were each wrong in the situation described.

rekent Tue Dec 11, 2012 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 866250)
A1 drives to basket, Trail calls push on B1, after whistle A1 takes another dribble and shoots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 866357)

Based on the OP, the coach was right to complain about the shot being waved off. The determining factor is NOT the # of steps after the foul is called....the shot begins once the player gathers the ball in his/her natural shooting motion.

Am I missing something? Ball hadn't been gathered and coach was completely wrong start to finish. (with the exception of official's word choice)

tomegun Tue Dec 11, 2012 06:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 866263)
And I also like for someone else to toss him after one official has issued the first T. That way you reduce the appearance of it being personal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 866265)
...We as well would not prefer to have the same official give both T's in any situation...

:rolleyes: "Hey partner, he is coming on the court, calling me a MFer, but I gave him the first T. Can you give him the second? Please?"

If a coach comes after me and it is personal, I will handle my own business. I will allow any of my partners to do the same if a coach comes after them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 866276)
Not too quick for the second. I have no problem calling both myself, too. Take care of business.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 866284)
I think people take the not giving two T's to a coach back to back too far...

+1,000,000

Quote:

And there we have it...the answer to the entire situation. Flash the almighty stop sign and things fall right back into place. Sure, I give "the hand" to other adults all the time and they just accept that and stop what they are doing. My wife gives me "the hand" and I stop. Nope, that isn't something that would make the situation worse at all. :rolleyes:

rekent Tue Dec 11, 2012 06:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 866360)
:rolleyes: "Hey partner, he is coming on the court, calling me a MFer, but I gave him the first T. Can you give him the second? Please?"

Oh I am so glad I was not taking a drink when I read that. Absolutely agree though, sounds like the coach didn't even pause long enough between 1 and 2 for the official to report and clear out. Seems both that quick from the same guy were easily justified.

rockyroad Tue Dec 11, 2012 07:59pm

Quote:

Good grief...the OP says the player TOOK ANOTHER DRIBBLE!!

Wrong.

Just. Wrong.

rockyroad Tue Dec 11, 2012 08:03pm

Quote:

If a coach comes after me and it is personal, I will handle my own business. I will allow any of my partners to do the same if a coach comes after them:

maybe I missed a post or two, but I don't think anyone other than twenty wort (which is two cents more than his opinion should be worth) banged on the official for calling both Ts in this situation...general comments about not liking one official to call both maybe, but nothing that rose to the level of needing the evil "roll eyes" smilie! :D

Adam Tue Dec 11, 2012 09:27pm

Quote:

Do yourself a favor and read the OP again. I've never seen a player dribble after he gathered for a shot.

VaTerp Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24pm

Quote:

If a coach comes after me and it is personal, I will handle my own business. I will allow any of my partners to do the same if a coach comes after them.

You partially quoted me and took it out of context for your eye roll.

I said what I prefer but also said you do what you have to do. If one official has to issue two Ts and toss a coach, fine.

My only point was that ideally the calling official isnt the one talking to the coach telling him to sit down. And is far enough away from the coach that one of his partners is closer, hears the MF, and takes care of business for the crew.

But again if it ends up like the situation in the OP then so be it.

MD Longhorn Wed Dec 12, 2012 09:14am

Quote:

Wrong. Try again. Reading is fundamental.