The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Hand shakes

I have worked in different areas of the country and have observed officials doing things differently. In my mind after the final horn has blown and I get a thumbs up from the scorer (as quickly as possible) I get off the court. I don't want to be on the court should something happen during hand shakes as I would then be forced to penalize because jurisdiction has not ended. Conversely another official also new to the area said that he likes to remain so that if something happens the officials cannot be blamed for not sticking around during post game hand shakes by players and coaches.

It is not that I don't want to make sure that the score is correct but more of the fact that the game is over and I think my jurisdiction should end so that I don't have to worry about penalizing any knuckle head behavior.

Thoughts!
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
another official also new to the area said that he likes to remain so that if something happens the officials cannot be blamed for not sticking around during post game hand shakes by players and coaches.
That could be a recipe for disaster. Make eye contact with the scorer, give them a thumbs up, and leave the court. No need to give anyone the opportunity for a free shot at you.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 07:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Did this other official move from Massachusetts? No need to stick around, imo. No good can come from it, only bad.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 07:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
... Conversely another official also new to the area said that he likes to remain so that if something happens the officials cannot be blamed for not sticking around during post game hand shakes by players and coaches.
Blamed for what? If something happens after the game is not our fault it happened. And it's not our job to address it. That's what game management and law enforcement are for.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Blamed for what? If something happens after the game is not our fault it happened. And it's not our job to address it. That's what game management and law enforcement are for.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

"Get in, get done, get out." - Mick Chambers

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

I always thank the officials and my kids always give you guys a bump. I think it's extremely important for the sportsmanship side of the game.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:51am
Do not give a damn!!

I just get off the floor. No thumbs up, no nothing, just get off the floor as quickly as possible.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 02:33am
We don't rent pigs

I'm in between the two extremes. I certainly don't linger, but I don't sprint off the floor at the horn either, which seems to be quite common. I'm not looking to interact with anyone, but if a coach or player comes to me with thanks and/or a handshake, I will briefly accept and move on.

About all we do in varsity is B/G doubleheaders, and often we don't even leave the court between games, so to be in a big rush to leave when it's all over doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Here in wonderful MA we have a handshake protocol that requires officials to be part of the postgame handshake. It caused quite a stir here a couple of years ago. 2 man crews and postgame requirements. We get all the fun.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 12:21pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_K View Post
I always thank the officials and my kids always give you guys a bump. I think it's extremely important for the sportsmanship side of the game.
As one who does a mixed bag, from high school down to youth travel, I appreciate this.

The younger the players, the more likely we're to stick around the court for another game, and the more likely we're to get handshakes/fist bumps.

This seldom happens in high school games, though. We just give a thumbs up, thank you, and walk off the court. We've been told that running off the court sends the wrong message, unless you're absolutely certain there's a safety issue.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 12:52pm
Huck Finn

My time in the DC area, and the fans with great sportsmanship (I'm being very sarcastic), caused me to leave immediately. I don't run off the court and I'm not making direct eye contact with anyone. I'm taking a direct path to the locker room...ready for anything.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_K View Post
In non school games, I'm probably changing my shoes courtside anyway, so I'm available for post game gratitude and good will. In school games, you won't find me unless I'm waiting by the door while my partner does his glad handing.