The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

First JV Game

Just about 3.5 more hours to go until my first ever JV game, girls Class A contest with two decent teams, I'm R.

Very excited, a little nervous but ready to go, I know the game is the same, just a bit faster.

It's all the same I know, hustle, move in position and slow down and signal.

Glad I had a day off yesterday, I had a track meet of a 8th grade boys game the other night, 43-31 final but a lot action and running.

Thankfully the school is in the next town over from me and I know the area very well because there's a working fire at a store not too far from the school and the area will probably still be a mess so I can go in the back way and not worry about.

Assuming no coaches lynch me, I'll update tomorrow
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 01:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Enjoy ...

Have fun.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 03:08pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
Very excited, a little nervous but ready to go, I know the game is the same, just a bit faster.

Glad I had a day off yesterday, I had a track meet of a 8th grade boys game the other night, 43-31 final but a lot action and running.
Your JV girls game is NOT likely to be faster than 8th grade boys!

To warm up, I recommend that you practice this:

Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post

Try to have a slow whistle on held ball situations, at this level the game may continue with some kind of "pace" if you do. I try to pause an extra second or so in hopes that they will get the ball away from the opponent and continue playing. Glad for your enthusiasm, I still feel it after ten years!
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 03:46pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Thankfully the school is in the next town over from me and I know the area very well because there's a working fire at a store not too far from the school and the area will probably still be a mess so I can go in the back way and not worry about.
I left my office, TWO HOURS early, to travel 13 miles the other night. Between rush hour, construction, and a fatal car/truck accident, it took me 65 minutes to get there. (Oh yeah, then they found that gun in the school the next day).

Never a dull moment here in NVA.

Have fun and enjoy.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
Try to have a slow whistle on held ball situations, at this level the game may continue with some kind of "pace" if you do. I try to pause an extra second or so in hopes that they will get the ball away from the opponent and continue playing. Glad for your enthusiasm, I still feel it after ten years!
Amen - my daughter's game the other day must have had 40 double-thumbs-up - no exaggeration (in fact, that is probably low). No flow. VERY long game.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Amen - my daughter's game the other day must have had 40 double-thumbs-up - no exaggeration (in fact, that is probably low). No flow. VERY long game.
I always want to say to the coaches at this level, "Maybe have your girls hold the rebound over their head instead of bringing the ball down right into the opponents' hands!!!"
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 11:52pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
I always want to say to the coaches at this level, "Maybe have your girls hold the rebound over their head instead of bringing the ball down right into the opponents' hands!!!"
Had the weirdest non-jumpball play the other day in a sophmore womens' game. Three blues all on their knees or rumps in the key have their hands on the ball and have it tied up. One white also has her FEET on the ball. All three of the blues look to my partner who is right on top of the play as lead looking for a jump ball. Nothing, nothing, then a blue rips it away and takes off. Travel on blue. We actually made the incorrect call by not calling a kick ball on white but I was caught way by surprise. I am still laughing about that play.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

So how did it go Moosie? Hope you had a good experiece. JV can go either way
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post

I didn't see this until this morning but yes that was rather accurate!

At the half my partner says to me, is it just me or do we have a lot of jump balls?

And you're right the pace was slower which was good!
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
So how did it go Moosie? Hope you had a good experiece. JV can go either way
I had a great game. The visitors ended up winning 38-34 and the lead was never more than 6 points so it was a closely contested game. The flow was fairly decent as well.

Other than giving the ball to the wrong team for the 2nd half throw in, I didn't make a major errors. Partner and I communicated well other than that incident.

He made a nice call as trail on a foul that while in my PCA was something I couldn't have seen due to the bodies in front of me.

The level of play was a bit more focused than junior high games so I felt like I had a better opportunity to see the play and rule on it.

I don't know if it was because I was working on a bigger floor, fairly new building with nice wide sidelines or just the the fact that I was able to slow the game down in my mind better but working as lead especially I felt like I had a great view on a lot of things as opposed to that chaotic view that I sometimes get in smaller gyms.

Four games this coming week, 3 JV and one freshman game, should be fun.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 11:09am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
I didn't see this until this morning but yes that was rather accurate!

At the half my partner says to me, is it just me or do we have a lot of jump balls?

And you're right the pace was slower which was good!
Yeah, I did my share of JV girls, or perhaps a few more than that.

Keep working. They're great games for practicing your mechanics and getting to look sharp.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Other than giving the ball to the wrong team for the 2nd half throw in, .

"Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 12:06am
Archaic Power Monger

I don't think I've ever seen bob use that emoticon before. That's actually pretty funny.

Otherwise, glad you had a good game. Girl's JV can be an interesting and a great place to learn.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 12:19am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Other than giving the ball to the wrong team for the 2nd half throw in, I didn't make a major errors. .

Care to elaborate on how this happened?

Lonesome Dove