9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Agree JAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Care to elaborate on how this happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
Other than giving the ball to the wrong team for the 2nd half throw in, WE didn't make a major errors.
Fixed it for you. This is NOT just you, this is your P and the table too.

Now, how do you prevent that from happening in the future?
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Fixed it for you. This is NOT just you, this is your P and the table too.

Now, how do you prevent that from happening in the future?
I failed to check off with my partner and the table to confirm who should have the ball.

The table did catch it right off as soon as I called the wrong team over before the ball was put in play.

I'm not sure why we didn't communicate that in this instance, however, I know for the next games I will make sure that everything is correct before anything happens.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
I failed to check off with my partner and the table to confirm who should have the ball.
...and when do you think you should have "checked" this?

You will own this mechanic from now on.

At the conclusion of the 2nd quarter, at halftime, meet your partners at the center of the court. When the Coaches and players leave or are heading for their respective locker rooms...you and your partner(s) go to the table...grab your jackets...and MAKE SURE THE TABLE SWITCHES THE ARROW.

Bonus: Ask if someone is available to come and get you before 3 minutes.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 08:59am.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Blue Ball To Start The Second Half ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
At the conclusion of the 2nd quarter, at halftime, meet your partners at the center of the court. When the Coaches and players leave or are heading for their respective locker rooms...you and your partner(s) go to the table...grab your jackets...and MAKE SURE THE TABLE SWITCHES THE ARROW. Ask if someone is available to come and get you before 3 minutes.
We have the referee instruct the "table" to switch the arrow, and then announce to each other, and anyone else who may be listening, usually table personnel, and statisticians hanging around the table, which "color" will get the ball to start the second half.

Also, probably just here in my little corner of Connecticut, we both (two person in Connecticut) switch the whistle in our pockets as a double check to remind us regarding the direction that we will be going in to start the second half, but I understand that that's not done in other parts of the country, not that there's anything wrong with not doing that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
...Also, probably just here in my little corner of Connecticut, we both (two person in Connecticut) switch the whistle in our pockets as a double check to remind us regarding the direction that we will be going in to start the second half, but I understand that that's not done in other parts of the country, not that there's anything wrong with not doing that.
I will put my GAME whistle inthe appropriate pocket during halftime to help me remember.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:31am
Huck Finn

This may come back to haunt me after saying this, but I've never had a need for a second whistle and I remember who's ball it is. Is the second whistle because something could happen to the first one or to help remember who's ball it is?

Only thing in my pocket these days is my Fitbit One. I wouldn't want to carry a tic tac if it wasn't necessary.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
This may come back to haunt me after saying this, but I've never had a need for a second whistle and I remember who's ball it is. Is the second whistle because something could happen to the first one or to help remember who's ball it is?

Only thing in my pocket these days is my Fitbit One. I wouldn't want to carry a tic tac if it wasn't necessary.
If my whistle breaks, I'll delay the game to retrieve another one. I carry nothing but a few LifeSavers, which I will use during the game if I feel so inclined. The only thing in my jacket pocket is a needle to deflate the (always) over-inflated game ball.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:47am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If my whistle breaks, I'll delay the game to retrieve another one. I carry nothing but a few LifeSavers, which I will use during the game if I feel so inclined. The only thing in my jacket pocket is a needle to deflate the (always) over-inflated game ball.
I agree. I'm not carrying another whistle.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Seinfeld ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I will put my GAME whistle inthe appropriate pocket during halftime to help me remember.
Quote:
I've never had a need for a second whistle and I remember who's ball it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I carry nothing but a few LifeSavers, which I will use during the game if I feel so inclined.
Quote:
I'm not carrying another whistle.
"Not that there's anything wrong with that."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I carry a spare in case the shirt loop breaks. I use a smitty and it's happened.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In My Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Quote:
Is the second whistle because something could happen to the first one or to help remember who's ball it is?
In my little corner of Connecticut, and probably only in my little corner of Connecticut, both.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I carry a spare in case the shirt loop breaks. I use a smitty and it's happened.
Don't use a Smitty.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:33pm
Archaic Power Monger

But I like the Smitty...

I have a spare on a noose lanyard in my jacket. That's just the Boy Scout in me.