The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First JV Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93149-first-jv-game.html)

Moosie74 Fri Dec 07, 2012 01:55pm

First JV Game

Just about 3.5 more hours to go until my first ever JV game, girls Class A contest with two decent teams, I'm R.

Very excited, a little nervous but ready to go, I know the game is the same, just a bit faster.

It's all the same I know, hustle, move in position and slow down and signal.

Glad I had a day off yesterday, I had a track meet of a 8th grade boys game the other night, 43-31 final but a lot action and running.

Thankfully the school is in the next town over from me and I know the area very well because there's a working fire at a store not too far from the school and the area will probably still be a mess so I can go in the back way and not worry about.

Assuming no coaches lynch me, I'll update tomorrow

BillyMac Fri Dec 07, 2012 01:57pm

Enjoy ...

Have fun.

maven Fri Dec 07, 2012 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosie74 (Post 865560)
Very excited, a little nervous but ready to go, I know the game is the same, just a bit faster.

Glad I had a day off yesterday, I had a track meet of a 8th grade boys game the other night, 43-31 final but a lot action and running.

Your JV girls game is NOT likely to be faster than 8th grade boys!

To warm up, I recommend that you practice this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KiVJHxkqCJ...+thumbs+up.jpg

Loudwhistle2 Fri Dec 07, 2012 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 865575)

Try to have a slow whistle on held ball situations, at this level the game may continue with some kind of "pace" if you do. I try to pause an extra second or so in hopes that they will get the ball away from the opponent and continue playing. Glad for your enthusiasm, I still feel it after ten years!

grunewar Fri Dec 07, 2012 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosie74 (Post 865560)
Thankfully the school is in the next town over from me and I know the area very well because there's a working fire at a store not too far from the school and the area will probably still be a mess so I can go in the back way and not worry about.

I left my office, TWO HOURS early, to travel 13 miles the other night. Between rush hour, construction, and a fatal car/truck accident, it took me 65 minutes to get there. (Oh yeah, then they found that gun in the school the next day).

Never a dull moment here in NVA.

Have fun and enjoy.

MD Longhorn Fri Dec 07, 2012 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 865579)
Try to have a slow whistle on held ball situations, at this level the game may continue with some kind of "pace" if you do. I try to pause an extra second or so in hopes that they will get the ball away from the opponent and continue playing. Glad for your enthusiasm, I still feel it after ten years!

Amen - my daughter's game the other day must have had 40 double-thumbs-up - no exaggeration (in fact, that is probably low). No flow. VERY long game.

Loudwhistle2 Fri Dec 07, 2012 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 865584)
Amen - my daughter's game the other day must have had 40 double-thumbs-up - no exaggeration (in fact, that is probably low). No flow. VERY long game.

I always want to say to the coaches at this level, "Maybe have your girls hold the rebound over their head instead of bringing the ball down right into the opponents' hands!!!"

Sharpshooternes Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 865590)
I always want to say to the coaches at this level, "Maybe have your girls hold the rebound over their head instead of bringing the ball down right into the opponents' hands!!!"

Had the weirdest non-jumpball play the other day in a sophmore womens' game. Three blues all on their knees or rumps in the key have their hands on the ball and have it tied up. One white also has her FEET on the ball. All three of the blues look to my partner who is right on top of the play as lead looking for a jump ball. Nothing, nothing, then a blue rips it away and takes off. Travel on blue. We actually made the incorrect call by not calling a kick ball on white but I was caught way by surprise. I am still laughing about that play.

ref3808 Sat Dec 08, 2012 08:40am

So how did it go Moosie? Hope you had a good experiece. JV can go either way

Moosie74 Sat Dec 08, 2012 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 865575)

I didn't see this until this morning but yes that was rather accurate!

At the half my partner says to me, is it just me or do we have a lot of jump balls?

And you're right the pace was slower which was good!

Moosie74 Sat Dec 08, 2012 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref3808 (Post 865660)
So how did it go Moosie? Hope you had a good experiece. JV can go either way

I had a great game. The visitors ended up winning 38-34 and the lead was never more than 6 points so it was a closely contested game. The flow was fairly decent as well.

Other than giving the ball to the wrong team for the 2nd half throw in, I didn't make a major errors. Partner and I communicated well other than that incident.

He made a nice call as trail on a foul that while in my PCA was something I couldn't have seen due to the bodies in front of me.

The level of play was a bit more focused than junior high games so I felt like I had a better opportunity to see the play and rule on it.

I don't know if it was because I was working on a bigger floor, fairly new building with nice wide sidelines or just the the fact that I was able to slow the game down in my mind better but working as lead especially I felt like I had a great view on a lot of things as opposed to that chaotic view that I sometimes get in smaller gyms.

Four games this coming week, 3 JV and one freshman game, should be fun.

maven Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosie74 (Post 865661)
I didn't see this until this morning but yes that was rather accurate!

At the half my partner says to me, is it just me or do we have a lot of jump balls?

And you're right the pace was slower which was good!

Yeah, I did my share of JV girls, or perhaps a few more than that. :)

Keep working. They're great games for practicing your mechanics and getting to look sharp.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 08, 2012 08:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosie74 (Post 865665)
Other than giving the ball to the wrong team for the 2nd half throw in, .

:eek:

"Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

Welpe Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:06am

I don't think I've ever seen bob use that emoticon before. That's actually pretty funny.

Otherwise, glad you had a good game. Girl's JV can be an interesting and a great place to learn.

just another ref Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosie74 (Post 865665)
Other than giving the ball to the wrong team for the 2nd half throw in, I didn't make a major errors. .

Care to elaborate on how this happened?