The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Relocating Official

Hang with me, I promise the post will get to basketball.

I am a Division 1 Softball umpire from the Indianapolis area and I am in the process of relocating to Boston.

Throughout my life I have had a history of concussions, suffering three in the past two years from umpiring softball. While I love working the sport, the injury risk is becoming too severe and I have slowly been moving out of the sport and into basketball.

Since I am now relocating, this is a great opportunity for the switch to occur in earnest. So far I have worked up to high school JV games in the two years I have worked basketball half-time (indoor fastpitch softball is big here, so I spend most of my winters with it).

I am looking to start at low level games and would like some area contacts of officials that are willing to heavily critique and teach me. I am also looking for information on how games are assigned in the Boston area, as well as some youth league contacts to get some games to improve my skills. While I am exiting the NCAA Officials ranks, I am planning for it to merely be a short leave of absence. If you need any more information about me I will be happy to provide it. Any help anyone can give is appreciated!
Once when the Yankee's Lou Pinella was batting he questioned a Palermo strike call. Pinella demanded, "Where was that pitch at?" Palermo told him that a man wearing Yankee pinstripes in front of 30,000 people should not end a sentence with a preposition. So Pinella, no dummy, said, "OK, where was that pitch at, a**hole?"
-George Will
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

I think Mass is an IAABO state. I'd contact them.

How does one sustain a concussion umpiring softball? My theory involves falling asleep and teetering backwards.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post

How does one sustain a concussion umpiring softball? My theory involves falling asleep and teetering backwards.
What's your thought process here?
Why would you reply to this post and........

1) Offer the poster absolutely no tangible assistance (beyond 'contact IAABO') in establishing some basketball officiating contacts who could possibly help him in the Boston area?

2) Make such an insipid and insensitive comment to a fellow official who sustained a concussion working a game?

3) Disrespect any of us on this forum who also umpire softball?

Ever work the plate in an NCAA DI softball game and catch a foul ball straight back to your mask?

trojans...PM me regarding college softball in that area.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post

Two were successive foul balls straight back and square to the mask. The third was a rainy day and a throw getting away from the outfielder and hitting me in the side of the head on the bases.

I will look into the IAABO, thanks!
Once when the Yankee's Lou Pinella was batting he questioned a Palermo strike call. Pinella demanded, "Where was that pitch at?" Palermo told him that a man wearing Yankee pinstripes in front of 30,000 people should not end a sentence with a preposition. So Pinella, no dummy, said, "OK, where was that pitch at, a**hole?"
-George Will
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
trojans...PM me regarding college softball in that area.
I'm curious. Why would you...

1) tell him to contact you regarding college sofftball in the area when he stated, "...I have slowly been moving out of the sport.." and "...this is a great opportunity for the switch to occur in earnest."?

2) not reply with any information regarding basketball in the area?

BTW, amusedofficial wasn't disrespecting anyone. I was also curious as to how he suffered the concussions. A little humor never hurt anyone.

Best of luck, trojans2545.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Dec 08, 2012 at 01:27pm.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

I am in MA. Yes, it is an IAABO state, and a rather large state at that with multiple boards in the Boston area and suburbs.

If you care to PM me I'd be happy to provide whatever guidance I can.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 01:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
There are several posters here from MA and they may be of some help in putting you in contact with folks. Also, look up the IAABO website.